Nasty squeal

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Evening boys and girls.... Just after a few thoughts...

Firstly your probably thinking belt..... Which in this instance I don't think is the case

The problem is specifically rpm based.... Neutral or geared at between 2500rpm and 2900rpm a nasty squeal appears and then disappears... Pretty loud and near the back of the engine, read about drive shaft heatshields and pretty sure the noise is too high pitched to be a vibration....

Any ideas chaps?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Cheap way to find out.
Wait til the engine is cold. Remove auxiliary belt. Start and rev to the range you mentioned and see if the noise is still there.

Obviously don't run it for long as the water pump will not be driven without the belt but it will be fine for a minute or so.

If it isn't the belt I'd be surprised but let us know how you get on.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Not sure if mine is the same I have a random whistle/squeek noise that has recently in last couple weeks appeared. I can't seem to replicate it at particular revs/throttle position. Will check belts just in case.

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Just to let you know guys, as much as it was a very high pitched squeal... Still ended up being you know what! Driveshaft heat shield! Proves I shouldn't jump to conclusions, step bro sorted it whilst doing mot, bent the thing back whilst holding it at said rpm on the ramp, sorted for now! Dc sports system now on too for good measure, now to start saving for that full respray!

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
davidpingu said:
Cheap way to find out.
Wait til the engine is cold. Remove auxiliary belt. Start and rev to the range you mentioned and see if the noise is still there.

Obviously don't run it for long as the water pump will not be driven without the belt but it will be fine for a minute or so.

If it isn't the belt I'd be surprised but let us know how you get on.
Is the oil pump on the Aux Belt aswell?