Need another Type R...so thinking DC5

N77

Well some may remember me on here, but I used to be on the CTRO and TRO forums quite a bit when I was a Honda owner.

Had one of the first Civic Type R's when they were released and then stupidly got rid after 2 years, only to then change my mind and replace my new car with a Facelift Cosmic Grey Civic Type R :xlol:

So after just over 3 years of the last Type R it was sold to make way for a saving diesel mobile for purchase of somewhere to live.

After about a year and a bit I then got bored and purchased a BMW 1 series sport, diesel again and was okay to a point. I had a new car so I didn't have any problems, how wrong was I. I called BMW assistance out to it twice and a couple of small issues meant it went back to the dealers a few times.

Prices started dropping so I started looking again after a year and a half of ownership.

I now currently have a Citroen DS3, not the fancy one but just the 1.6 diesel and it is great of economy and cheap tax but the last month or so I started coming back to the Honda forums and I think I realised I need to get back to one, I may then stop keep changing my car and stick with the Honda. As I probably wouldn't of sold my Civic if I hadn't of wanted to save.

I was thinking of a FN2 being more modern and prices are so good at the moment, then I come to my senses and realised the reason I used to like my Type R was the rawness, as after test driving an FN2 when they were first released on a 1/2 hour drive it was too refined. As the DC5 is even more so I think this is the best choice for me.

My only problem at the moment is the DS3, its only coming up to 7 months old so it could be a bit of a sting what I get for it.

However once I make my mind up on something I don't rest, so have started looking around and trade sellers that may PX and go from there.

I have seen these on ebay, wondering what your thoughts were on price?

This one is a fresh import and a Facelift, do like the front but the back looks a bit more different to the older ones, not sure if I like it but I guess seeing it in the flesh would make my mind on that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260872612545?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1672wt_1348

The next one is on a 52 plate, does anyone recognise it from here? as it does have aftermarket wheels and according to the details, 1 owner and Full Honda Service History which is good. When I first saw it they had it advertised for £8,495 but have dropped it by £500 since then.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250844753512?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1116wt_1348

As the price is cheaper, this maybe more favourable for changing depending on the hit on mine.

Your thoughts would be gratefully received.

Carl

kingston

Advanced Member
Silver one is going rate really, only mods i can see being aftermarket headunit and rims - if your looking to lower it etc maybe more beneficial finding a car with it already done (financially but it takes away the joy of modifying - though youll end up lowering it and going with an FRSU eventually)

New Shape - doesnt suggest mileage/import condition (yeah it looks shiny but any car can be made to appear in good condition). Looks about going rate but without checking p/heads/autotrader i wouldnt know.

Depending on what you get for trade-in value for your DS, i could be tempted with a swap? My cars abit marmite but its mechanically sound (front bumper needs a slight repair and respray due to an incident with a deer - £300 fix and then so would the body)

N77

Has to be trade sale?
Mainly for part exchanging really.

Depending on what you get for trade-in value for your DS, i could be tempted with a swap? My cars abit marmite but its mechanically sound (front bumper needs a slight repair and respray due to an incident with a deer - £300 fix and then so would the body)
I have seen your car on here as I have been lurking around at whats available, the interior looks great and as you say its mechanically sound, but I don't like the bumper to be honest. Would of been ideal if it had been more standard body wise, have you thought of trying to get it back to original bumpers?

I agree with you on the mods front, as knowing me I would start messing when I got it but that could be done later if the right car was standard.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I don't think FHSH is anything to be sought after - whilst a lot of the DC5 is the same/similar to an EP3, they do have important differences. Moreover, there are a hundred garages I would trust more than the local Honda dealers to work on my car! There was never any warranty on a DC5 in the UK so no point in sticking to Honda stealers.

The whole "full service history, one owner" etc. thing is a bit irrelevant unless the car was imported from new - what about the Japanese history? How long has it been in the country etc.? Is it undersealed? These are potentially important things with regards to condition.

I think the silver one is slightly on the high price side considering it's virtually standard (and the worst colour! ;) But the rarest I suppose...), but then it's a dealer so you'll be paying 10-20% premium over a private sale. Have never liked the facelift, the teardrop lights are a really nice feature of the original and they stripped it of its personality in my eyes. I can see the appeal of a newer car though.

Naturally mine is also for sale at a bargain £6800 with 78k and proper suspension/geometry setup that takes it beyond the common "fast road setup". It's also in a proper sports car colour (black). ;)

Grov

Banned
I agree with lockwood. Most stealers are rubbish. Who wants to pay 200quid for an oil/filter change?

If you buy one of the forums you can at least check it's history. Lots of people do there own service work, unless it's major.

I wouldn't not buy a nice looking DC5 if it didn't have FSH let alone Honda history. Like above, you don't know what it was like in japan. it's a 10 year old car, so you're going to have little niggles, as long as you do all the big checks, you should be ok.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
When i bought mine i had the dilema of dealer vs private as i also had a car that i needed to part ex as i coulnd't sell my old car privately and be waiting around for the right car to come up as i needed a car to get to work and back.

I ended up bideing my time and buying one from the forum here as the guy wanted my old car in part ex (a diesel focus) and i felt alot happier being able to trace the cars history, i went through every single one of the previous owners posts on here and built up a spreadsheet of every part and service the car had done along with dates and rough millage. Its the kind of history you just can't get apart from in owners club forums and to me was worth its weight in gold.

You can always get a car thats had the book stamped on time etc but to be able to read about how owners have treated their cars to me in invaluable.

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
The way the market is at the moment there really is no rush to buy, mine has been for sale since July and even at the price it's at now, i've had minimal interest apart from the usual timewasters.

It seems to be most people are getting to around 70k on their Tegs and looking to sell so there's a lot out there at the moment.

From the Dealers i've spoken to recently, at present a lot won't touch a DC5 as they simply can't shift performance/ sports cars in the current climate.

Dealers with DC5s are a false economy, as they can pretty much only get in DC5's around the 60 - 70k mileage mark due to the Yen and these will be retailing at around £9,000, where as mine for example is up at £7,395 and was a fresh import back in only April, and there are a number of 70k+ Tegs hovering around the £8k mark, still a grand cheaper than a fresh import.

If you could find a way of selling your car privately and then buying privately, I would.

mikegsi

Staff member
definately better off trying to do the whole thing privately, your gonna get a big slap on the DS3, but it should sell as its an economical car that actually does have an appeal about it.

On the other hand, as a buyer of a 'select' car, and with the market the way it is at the moment you should be able to get yourself an even better deal buyign a DC5. The market is really slow, and I've never seen cars of the same 'type' as the DC5 sell for so cheap as they are lately.

N77

Thanks for all your advice guys, exactly what I wanted.

I am going to go and have a look at the silver one, doesn't hurt going to look and then can see what sort of history it does have with the car and also what I would be looking at in terms of the "deal"

I too would probably prefer to do it privately but as finance is still outstanding on the car it just makes it a lot more hassle as I found out with the BMW I sold privately. In the end the first person that saw it brought it but had to have some trust in me that I would pay off the finance.

I will see what this one is like on Saturday then go from there, if not I may have to wait for 6 months then see about selling the car then, but just to get an idea of what I would get will help.

Thanks all

N77

Well been to have a look at the silver one that is on ebay and is advertised on Autotrader.

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1116wt_1348

The guy that purchased it had it since it was imported by Torque GT Ltd in Devon in 2007 with around 12,000 something km on the clock. It shows 51,000 something on the odometer now so the garage have obviously took that as miles and not a combination of the two. So 12k something is km and the other 39k would be miles?

Every year he has had it serviced at Brindley Honda in Wolverhampton and also a private garage for other bits and pieces. It had a suspension strut replaced and the other was the usual services, and a gold one being that last one done in April this year.

He paid £14,500 for the car when it was imported as the original receipt was in with all the paperwork, as well as all the previous MOTs for the car. However its been serviced and looked after over here but no Japanese paperwork at all, unless the previous owner didn't pass it on I am not sure.

I did make a note of his address from the V5 logbook and his mobile number was on the paperwork from the Honda garage so I may give him a call if I take the deal further.

The car is a 2002 on a 52 reg so is close to 10 years old so I was expecting some bits and pieces and for the year I think it is in good condition. There is a mark by the rear numberplate where it has been caught and has gone through to the plastic, which could be easily sorted. A couple of minor scratches on the passenger door and on the door edge is pretty much it really on the exterior. Wheels are in excellent condition and are genuine Rays. The guy said that he has got some guy emailing him trying to swap the wheels with his and an extra £400 lol.

The interior is where I was a bit disappointed, nothing that cannot be sorted but at what cost. The first and no biggie really is the gear knob, as its very scratched with a ring I assume but this is no major thing to get refurbished or replaced. The passenger seat has holes in from jeans maybe that a passenger has been wearing, this I know could be repaired from Capital Seating that I used to repair some Premier Recaro's I had done, but they were not cheap. The other is the usual on the drivers seat, the bolster has completely gone which I did find a surprise considering the mileage, again a costly repair!

However the mats were the original and in good condition, dash was clean, small mark by the gear lever, maybe something had been dropped on it and a nice Clarion double din head unit that was purchased when the guy brought the car from the local Bass Junkies as the receipt was also with the paper work. It also has a CAT 1 Clifford alarm with the remote start function.

I also checked inside the boot as I have read about the water issue and it all looked clean, so signs of any rust from water standing in previously and had a space saver spare wheel.

I am waiting for them to come back on what they can offer on mine, he said its not something they would try and sell as its quite new and being they would have to give me money, he said it would be better for them to speak to a couple of Citroen dealers, so he is going to call me on Monday and let me know.

I took a couple of pics

These are the slight marks that are on the passenger door, nothing too bad for the age really and something that could get easily fixed.

The drivers seat bolster

The damage on passenger seat, don't show up as bad on the photo but you can see the foam of the seat cover through

Pic of the engine bay, all looked okay and quite clean but not as clean as they had cleaned it if that makes sense lol

kingston

Advanced Member
The seats have beeen swapped over at some point otherwise hes passenger seat has been getting an awful lot of attention ;-)

Grov

Banned
Look quite nice. Interior sounds a let down, not sure how easy the seat fixes are?

Exterior ok? Sounds and looks pretty good for 10 years old.

Also if it's an 02 plate, then surely it can't be a facelift? Garage is wrong, no shock there..........

Silver is the rarest colour i think? Looks quite nice with red seats. Still no where near as nice as CW IMO, but thats me. :D

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Tbh things like gear knob and bolsters are all going that way, my gear knob was brand new when I had it but my engagement ring has scratched it quite quickly.

If I'm honest in the 4 years I've been on this forum if you ever fancy trying to sell a silver dc5 on it appears to be one of the most difficult ones to shift, and that was pre-yen crash and recession etc...

Might be something worth considering when trying to do a deal, personally, I'd pay no more than about £7,250 for that in the current climate.

But good luck in whatever you decide to do, I'm on my 3rd DC5 and still haven't found anything I'd rather have instead :)

N77

Just been searching on PH and came across this one

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/591451.htm

It looks unblemished and the interior I have never seen so clean, anyone know who used to own it at all?

trigger-21

Advanced Member
I test drove the silver one about 2 months ago!! It's a nice car but I was put off by a few things, I previously had a CW one and new if i got the silver one I'd probably regret not getting another CW one!!!! There is some weird damage to the recaros around the recaro badge , it's like someone had cut the material with a blade or something.

Anyway it was a nice car and also has a 5 zigen pro racer exhaust on it and the CE28's have been refurbished and painted so not in the typical Volk finish!

kingston

Advanced Member
Blue looks good but then it always will over the other colours.

You need to decide though if you want pre modded or oem and then spend the extra on modifying it

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
I just traded my 2004 black with red interior for 6,200 and the garage who took it are selling it for close to that. If you call Mazda in chester and ask for Matt Speechley he will sort you out with finance etc. I was gutted i had to trade it in for so little but i needed a new diesel car for work. Tell him i sent you.