Need help to decide on ECU

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
I cant have Hondadata so, what would i do:

1) Get to a guy i know he does great job with Motec and tuned my car using a motec ECU. I need your input on motec since no one mention it here.
2) Get a Mugen one

So far i have only a Spoon Drop in Filter and i will be getting a full exhaust before the ECU.

jostrom

Advanced Member
First of all, forget the Mugen ECU. It is only suited for certain Japan N1 class modifications, you really need a tunable one.

To be honest I can't think of a good reason why you can't have Hondata, but there must be one. Motec is very good, but also very expensive. It is used a lot in rally cars. You do have other options too like EFI, AEM etc.

Zani

Advanced Member
Umm why are you saying you cant have hondata? that would be the first choice i would say.

But if not, go with motec or aem. But they are both expensive... especially motec!

timp

Advanced Member
fenomeno26 said:
I cant have Hondadata so, what would i do:

1) Get to a guy i know he does great job with Motec and tuned my car using a motec ECU. I need your input on motec since no one mention it here.
2) Get a Mugen one

So far i have only a Spoon Drop in Filter and i will be getting a full exhaust before the ECU.
You banded from the kpro seen or something?

sinbad

Advanced Member
MOTEC ecu's are used in alot of race cars. If the guy knows what he's doing and you can afford it, then go woth that. The Mugen ecu is from what ive read designed to be used in conjuction with other Mugen mods.

jostrom

Advanced Member
Project said:
What about a Mugen street ECU, they do both race and street versions
There is no point buying a Mugen ECU as it's mapped for japanese street cars (or N1-class racing cars) with subtle Mugen modifications. Our cars run very different mods and different fuel (also different type of use regarding Mugen N1 ECU). It's expensive and total waste of money. Fully adjustable ECU like K100/K-Pro/Motec/AEM/EFI is the only way to go.

Project

Advanced Member
At the end of the day your only talking about air box and manifold for the street ECU, if you dont have many options for ECU's in cyprus then the mugen isnt a bad idea, fair enough if your in the UK there are few options for tuners
And i think the street ecu is better than running lean

jostrom

Advanced Member
Does anyone really know what exact mods is the Mugen street ECU mapped for? What kind of AFR does it run with a Mugen ~airbox&manifold&exhaust -type of mods?

corbie

Advanced Member
fenomeno26 said:
I dont know any place in Cyprus where they tune my car with Hondadata
Any half decent tuner would be able to pick up Hondata its not hard to use, if you know a ecutec dealer its quite similar and they would be able to tune it.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
I talk to a guy that he has done extensive work with Hondas and DC5s also. He is trained to work with AEM ECU and he told me that he prefers working with AEM than Hondadata because AEM is a complete ECU and not a hardware hack of the exisitng ECU....ofcourse is more pricey.

jostrom

Advanced Member
fenomeno26 said:
I talk to a guy that he has done extensive work with Hondas and DC5s also. He is trained to work with AEM ECU and he told me that he prefers working with AEM than Hondadata because AEM is a complete ECU and not a hardware hack of the exisitng ECU....ofcourse is more pricey.
Using modified original Honda ECU algorithms makes the engine run way better. That's a know fact, the OEM ECUs are infact very good devices. I consider Hondata K-Pro better than AEM because of this. AEM ECU doesn't even provide 3D-mapping (MAP vs RPM vs Cam angle) that the OEM ECU has. This is a clear drawback in tuning.

You also have to run the AEM ECU in paraller with the OEM ECU if you don't want to lose some functionality like the temp gauge etc etc.