Need info

rm_glasgow

Advanced Member
i am definitly wanting a power boost on my dc 5, i have been looking into a super charger and was talking to tdi who informed me that if i do that it will mean i need to remove the a/c which i dont want to do. as this is the only car i own and use on a daily basis. are their any other options would a turbo require the same work?

any help appreciated :) cheers

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
a couple of questions,
why do you think you want more power?
is your teg totally std?
do you do track days?
have you been in one with intake, exhaust and kpro?

You can keep the a/c with a turbo but the cost to do the job properly is huge, you absolutly must change pistons and rods as they don't last is Turbo applications, regardless of what you may have been told by ebay sellers or tuners who just want to sell their kit, every turbo dc5 engine that i know of has blown up at some point.

the next problem you will have is traction, even a std itr can struggle at the best of times.

for the same cost as a turbo kit properly fitted with internals and mapped you could get a toda 2.2 stroker kit with cams and kpro which would net you a real world 40hp over stock granted not as much as a turbo would be capable of but with the n/a option you would retain drivability and get decent fuel economy unlike the FI options .

sinbad

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
a couple of questions,
why do you think you want more power?
is your teg totally std?
do you do track days?
have you been in one with intake, exhaust and kpro?

You can keep the a/c with a turbo but the cost to do the job properly is huge, you absolutly must change pistons and rods as they don't last is Turbo applications, regardless of what you may have been told by ebay sellers or tuners who just want to sell their kit, every turbo dc5 engine that i know of has blown up at some point.

the next problem you will have is traction, even a std itr can struggle at the best of times.

for the same cost as a turbo kit properly fitted with internals and mapped you could get a toda 2.2 stroker kit with cams and kpro which would net you a real world 40hp over stock granted not as much as a turbo would be capable of but with the n/a option you would retain drivability and get decent fuel economy unlike the FI options .
Good advice!
traction is definately the issue. Your better going the normal route of intake, exhaust and kpro or the stoker kit and spending the rest of the money on decent suspension.

liktup

Advanced Member
If you want a faster daily drive you would be far better off starting with a faster car IMO :)

rm_glasgow

Advanced Member
i want more power so i can get the best out of the engine
the teg is totally standard no engine mods at all
i allredy have a cusco lsd(not fitted)gruppym induction(not fitted)
i would be happy if i could take it to 300bhp
i have never been in any other teg , if their are ways to achive this without reliability issues would be great . and i am planning on track days with a copule of mates who own sti's

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Ok if you can afford to go FI then instead spend the money on the basic breathing mods intake , decent exhaust and a kpro possibly cams, get some decent coilovers and a good fast road setup and a brake upgrade, you will easily see off the sti's on a trackday and get decent economy to boot. (normal driving even better than when std)

the K20 is not designed to be turboed and its at its happiest revving at 8k plus in Na form.

there are a few lads in scotland with the basic mods which will make one hell of a difference to the driveability of the car i'm sure someone will take you out for a spin if you ask.
i have taken a few people out at track days etc who were convinced they wanted to go Fi and not one has done it,
A dc5 with 300hp turbo etc will be very costly and unless properly built and mapped will be unreliable and seriously thirsty.
with basic mods the dc5 can be a great car on track

Suped

Advanced Member
You are better off learning to drive fast, biggest single improvement to the teg. How about you come down south to one of TGM's track day outting and let Tom take you out for a spin. You'll be pleasantly suprised mate.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
good reply eddie, wise words from someone who has been out for a ride in a track prepped teg

JT3173

Advanced Member
Hi rm.

I wanted to go FI with JRSC but was worried about reliability and the money I would spend on the up keep, granted not much with a JRSC but a turbo'd DC5 :shock: !

With the mods that have already (see my car profile) I am making a dyno proven 243bhp but this year I am looking at Toda A3 or Buddyclub cams which should take me to around 260bhp. With the Potenza RE070's I can put all the power down on a dry road and not really have to worry too much about traction, that and the fast road setup on standard dampers and Eibach springs makes it a very capable car without FI!

I am I also have a set of Paul G brake discs on order (regarded as the best dics, even mod for the DC5), this coupled with the power and mods that I have now will make the car a very capable one indeed but with a set of uprated cams and maybee a stroker kit, well, need I say more!

I was really up for FI but then somebody asked me why I like fast Honda's and I said "VTEC", what d you like about them, and the DC5 and would you miss VTEC?

Not the best at posts but I hope you understand where I am coming from with this.

James :D

Stevieg

Advanced Member
Like other replies so far I would also go against FI. The K20 engine is designed with high compression but a turbo needs low compression - not a great combo or base to start with. Personally the reason I got one was to have a very capable n/a car that was still economical. If i wanted a FI car I'd have just saved the extra money I used to mod her and buy another Evo which would be FI as standard and just improve on that! The money it would cost you to turbo the DC5 in the first place would get you alot of toys for an already turboed car if thats your bag :idea:

Suped

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
good reply eddie, wise words from someone who has been out for a ride in a track prepped teg
Only know too well! :lol: Think I'm addicted to the insane speeds on the corners a teg can take.