need some advise on my ecu please

brucey87

Advanced Member
well when iv finished modding the engine im going to do a remap. i was all up for taking it up to artech tuning for the k-100. its a long drive but dont mind aslong as im in good hands!
but a friend said to me he could plug a laptop with the software on it into a 6 or 12 pin socket in my car? (cant remember the name of it?). he said thrash it in all gears upto fourth and he could find flat spots and change it on the laptop all on my standard ecu? im not too keene on the idea but has anybody else done it this way? he's done it before but only to french cars. but he said he made good gains. :?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you can't change the map on a dc5 without an add on board.

for the best tune go to Tdi North in Warrington, itsa bit further from cornwall but you will get a better map there from someone with far more experience in k20 engines it will be the best for drivability and power no question.

raz786

Advanced Member
TDI North are very good, after having mine tuned i went to a RR day and the guys at the garage were very curious as to who set it up as it was "set up well throughout the rev range" :D

brucey87

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:

for the best tune go to Tdi North in Warrington, itsa bit further from cornwall but you will get a better map there from someone with far more experience in k20 engines it will be the best for drivability and power no question.
didnt think you could change the map just had to double check.
iv heard good things about tdi, may let them loose on it.
i dont care how far i have to go i just want the best.
thanks guys

StarTrack

Authorised Advertiser
C&S Evo7 said:

I have to disagree with this comment obviously :)

We've seen in the past that "experience" doesn't guarantee you the best map...

I am quite sure our customers don't feel short changed by choosing us over TDi/CPL/whoever ...

brucey87

Advanced Member
StarTrack said:
C&S Evo7 said:

I have to disagree with this comment obviously :)

We've seen in the past that "experience" doesn't guarantee you the best map...

I am quite sure our customers don't feel short changed by choosing us over TDi/CPL/whoever ...

haha thought you would disagree :lol:

dont worry they havent put me off.

just a quick one tho, if i wanted you to k100 or kpro my ecu how long would you need the car for?

could i drop it off and pick it up the nxt week or does it take longer? hoping il be ready for a remap in march.

StarTrack

Authorised Advertiser
brucey87 said:
haha thought you would disagree :lol:

dont worry they havent put me off.

just a quick one tho, if i wanted you to k100 or kpro my ecu how long would you need the car for?

could i drop it off and pick it up the nxt week or does it take longer? hoping il be ready for a remap in march.
:lol:

We need the car for one day. you have a PM :wink:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Startrack.
Please enlighten the forum on exactly why you think you can provide a better map than Tdi North or CPL?

Could you comment on this quote please

"We've seen in the past that "experience" doesn't guarantee you the best map... "

I think you should be careful comparing your mapping experience to that of Tdi North and CPL's

StarTrack

Authorised Advertiser
C&S Evo7 said:
Startrack.
Please enlighten the forum on exactly why you think you can provide a better map than Tdi North or CPL?

"We've seen in the past that "experience" doesn't guarantee you the best map... "

I think you should be careful comparing your mapping experience to that of Tdi North and CPL's
Firstly I would like to point out that I wasn't comparing our mapping experience to the one of TDi North or CPL. They have done it for longer and therefore they MUST have more experience than us.

Mapping being a science based on known principles (there is NO black magic), I do not think either that in theory we can provide better mapping than TDi or CPL or whoever else. And there are some very good mappers around..

I was just pointing out to the fact that we have remapped a few cars that previously had gone to various garages, which I won't point the finger at.

When at the end of the session the customer tells me that he is impressed since he feels the drive of his car is improved, then I have to take a bit of credit for it.

:wink:

phil r

Advanced Member
need some advice on my ecu

StarTrack said:
C&S Evo7 said:
Startrack.

Have you put any stage 1 & 2 packages together yet with prices as tdi have done on there website would be handy for future custom :)

Firstly I would like to point out that I wasn't comparing our mapping experience to the one of TDi North or CPL. They have done it for longer and therefore they MUST have more experience than us.

Mapping being a science based on known principles (there is NO black magic), I do not think either that in theory we can provide better mapping than TDi or CPL or whoever else. And there are some very good mappers around..

I was just pointing out to the fact that we have remapped a few cars that previously had gone to various garages, which I won't point the finger at.

When at the end of the session the customer tells me that he is impressed since he feels the drive of his car is improved, then I have to take a bit of credit for it.

:wink:

DopeDragon

Advanced Member
Had my car mapped by StarTrack, i'm going to TDI north in the morning to get the car remapped.
I guess the results will do the talking...stay tuned...

brucey87

Advanced Member
DopeDragon said:
Had my car mapped by StarTrack, i'm going to TDI north in the morning to get the car remapped.

:shock: let us know how you got on

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
DopeDragon said:
Interested to see how this went........purely in the interest of science! :wink:

fonz600

Advanced Member
AndyBITR said:
DopeDragon said:
Interested to see how this went........purely in the interest of science! :wink:
Ditto :wink:

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Well I know for a fact that my map from TDI North is poor (although it makes good peak power) and will be having it remapped. I don't know who there did it though, as it was the previous owner's at the time. I guess it depends who you get (and this was three years ago, so I imagine everyone but Paul there has changed since).

Things to look out for in my experience are part-throttle mapping, which manifests itself as stutter at 2-3k RPM if not done right, and running too hot (i.e. timing too advanced) at the top end. An oil temp gauge will help you spot the latter.