new and looking for a dc5, what to look out for?

syko89

hi guys n girls,

looking at getting a dc5 in the next few months, or when a stunner turns up near me!

just want to know what i should be looking out for when i go out for some test drives, common faults etc.

ive heard about seat bolsters sagging and lambda sensors often need replacing.

Ive never driven a VTEC so is there anything i should especially look out for?

I currently own a 1.7 fiesta zetec s but definately ready to upgrade.

Thanks, Chris

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Hi Chris and welcome along...the DC5 is pretty well bulletproof,theres not much goes wrong with them...use the "search"function on here as you 1st port of call and if you cant find the answers you need post up your querie and one of our nice chaps will always help out....good hunting mate \:D/

mikegsi

Staff member
Not a great deal, O2 sensor has issues but you'd know as the cel light would be on, and its not that they go all the time, just one of the few faults the Teg has.

Seat bolsters are the same as any car fitted with Recaro type seats.

i-Vtec is considerably different to the older Vtec in how it changes over, but you can still feel the change even on an unmodified car.

Theres often a good selection for sale to choose from on here, as well as being able to trace the cars history on the forum.

And welcome to the forum, as Dave (dc5-2ltr) says, we're a mostly friendly bunch so dont be afraid to ask but do try the search function as it works quite well and you'll find that a lot of your questions will already of been answered

Mark_teg

Staff member
Welcome :)

Make sure you check insurance first and that it's for a DC5 and not a DC2, best off ringing IME.. (try Sky, A-Plan..)

Get some pics up of your ZS, great cars. A few of us on here have had one, I'm sure someone called PORTHOS will comment soon :xlol:

Stoo

Whining.....
Few common faults/issues

High idle or sticking revs can be a dirty IACV. Easy fix. Carb cleaner in the IACV. How to guide on here.

Check it has a good service history. Specifically regarding oil changes ETc as they can drink oil at a rate if not kept topped up. 1litre per 1000 miles is not uncommon and is deemed acceptable.

Engine mounts have a tendency to tear. In particular the front one. Mount inserts help prevent this and stiffen it up nicely.

Rear lights and the rear washer hole can leak water in to the boot.

Lambda sensor is common. Won't always throw the CEL light on as well. Poor mpg, stuttering part throttle, flat spots etc are good indications of this.

Bolster is very common due to the seats nature. Good how to guide
On TRO to Replace it. £60 or so for the bolster, 2hrs work.

Any other q's give me a shout.

syko89

Thanks for all the help, they seem fairly simple fixes generally.

I still love my zetec s, its just at the stage where rust is starting to come through and is beginning to look dated.

The DC5 ive been really keen on for a while, after seeing another lad from the zsoc forum bought one (username sneak). They still look as new now as they did when they came out of the factory.

Few pics of my zs :)

Chris