New brembos pads+discs all round please help...

Jamesdelll

Hi all,

Recently changed the front and rear discs and pads with genuine brembos from cox motorsport.

Once fitted had the car serviced and fluid changed and bleed at TGM,

I‘ve done around 500-1000 miles since and let them bed in, all appear to be fine and correctly let them bed in, the brakes do feel better but can‘t help thinking they‘re still not quite bitey enough and when they get warm I can feel them fading...

I had stock brakes on my old DC2 and they felt so much better...

Either I‘m expecting too much from stock dc5 disc and pads or is there anything else I could do ?

Is a set of aftermarket front pads going to make much difference in the bite and feel of the pads? The car is fast road use and may do a very occasional light hearted track day but it‘s always been for me a road car and on the B roads they don‘t feel upto standard..I don‘t drive it stupidly hard so expected a little more?

Any comments welcome..

James

skengdR

Advanced Member
I did the same as you mate , bought new rear discs and new pads all over from Cox because I wasnt really impressed with the braking ability .

I bought the car just over 2 months ago and it was the first thing I changed , I do have drilled and slotted discs on the front but I am not sure how much better those are to stock discs. The rear discs were drilled and slotted but very rusty so I changed those back to oem ones.

I will leave them as is for now but based on what Ive read on forums most people recommend PBS pads ( I think that is what they are called )

Maybe we are expecting too much from them , you said you get some brake fade but I havent got much yet so maybe the drilled slotted discs on the front do help.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
I replaced with oem pads while there was still some life in the brembo disks that came on the car, and I wasn't impressed either mate.

Since I've picked up a set of PBS pads for front and rear with new brembo disks.

I've not fitted while there's still some life in the old ones, however I did a lot of research and asking around before buying and the feedback from upgrading pads was good enough for me.

I'd recommend going for aftermarket pads
:) I believe most go for Ferodo/ EBC / PBS

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Ive got ap racing floating disks and standard brembo pads and its not great. I change to ferrodo ds3000 for track use and its a whole new level of braking. So i think jjust a better pad would/should make a difference

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

skengdR

Advanced Member
Ive read that the ferodos are noisy ? Is that true ?

If anyone has used the PBS pads let me know if they are noisy or not please .

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
Not to hijack

has anyone else noticed the amount of crud and brake dust the oem pads collect?

I removed mine at the weekend and cleaned with a wire brush.

Got rid of some nasty squeaking.

Also noticed a buildup around where the piston sits on the back of pads. Once cleaned up I got better pedal feel.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've got to be completely honest, these last few weeks my brakes have felt 'ok', better than they've ever been.

They're certainly not perfect by any means but they don't feel as spongy as before, I'm running OEM calipers, discs, PBS 800 pads front and rear and uprated TGM lines.

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I've got to be completely honest, these last few weeks my brakes have ok felt 'ok', better than they've ever been.

They're certainly not perfect by any means but they don't feel as spongy as before, I'm running OEM calipers, discs, PBS 800 pads front and rear and uprated TGM lines.
In your opinion @crazylegs are uprated lines worth it on a none track car. I cover about 30 to 50 miles a week. Not sure I'd see any benefit unless on track.

The oem set up does feel soft.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
DC5RLY said:
In your opinion @crazylegs are uprated lines worth it on a none track car. I cover about 30 to 50 miles a week. Not sure I'd see any benefit unless on track.

You‘ll only see and feel a benefit from braided lines if you actually max out and cook the brakes on the road, and if you are then I‘d say you need to get on track to use the car to its optimal potential :)

If tracking the cars not of interest then no real point unless as said you actually max out and he lines are expanding and you‘re actually getting brake fade quite badly

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
DC5RLY said:

I've had them twice now on this and my old one and I feel they improve things a bit but not massively, could just be a placebo effect more than anything. Like Carl said below, it's on track you'll probably notice them better. If I was you I'd invest in either Pagid RS29 pads or Hawk HP+ pads. I had Hawks on my old one and they're a great pad, noisy as hell and kick off loads of dust but they're a track pad pretty much but I found them to be good even from cold. Got them from Cambridge Motorsport. Pagid will probably be my next pad, both are expensive though. The Hawks were around £250 and the RS29 are even more.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Put braided lines on my last car, they just make pedal feel more direct in my opinion, however if your pads are crap it wont really be of any use.
Imagine braided lines as grippin some thing with pliers, nice direct feel, crap pads will be like using soft rubber pliers, still grips eventually but has no feel

Elliot438

The pads are going to affect your brakes the most by far and that's feel and performance assuming all other components are working as they should. I love the brakes on mine and put it down to the PBS pads. Worth noting that I also have RPB grooved discs, goodridge lines, dot 5.1 fluid and a master cylinder brace. Currently blank discs on rear and think stoptech pads I think

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Elliot438 said:
The pads are going to affect your brakes the most by far and that's feel and performance assuming all other components are working as they should. I love the brakes on mine and put it down to the PBS pads. Worth noting that I also have RPB grooved discs, goodridge lines, dot 5.1 fluid and a master cylinder brace. Currently blank discs on rear and think stoptech pads I think
Do you feel the master cylinder brace makes much difference

skengdR

Advanced Member
Ive seen a wide range of prices for the PBS pads . Does anyone recommend the £80 ones on ebay or are those fakes ?

Elliot438

bxlyheathsupra said:
Do you feel the master cylinder brace makes much difference

Definitely a difference it was the last thing I added, had one on previous cars too. Great cheap addition, not a huge difference but you can definitely notice the difference in pedal feel when you are hard on it

Elliot438

skengdR said:
Ive seen a wide range of prices for the PBS pads . Does anyone recommend the £80 ones on ebay or are those fakes ?

Those are for the rears?