New Car Advice

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Hi,

As I have alluded to in the newby section, I'm hoping to be a proud new DC5 owner in Jan. I'm just curious what people are using for polish on their Tegs. I currently use PoorBoys Black hole on the civic and Quashqai, but as it's formulated for dark cars I don't imagine it's a good plan to use it on a CW Teg. I was looking at their lighter formula as I like their stuff, any experiences?

I'm also trying to research what, if anything people use to protect their engine compartment. I've had a read through google, and some threads here. From what I've read I don't think cleaning will be an issue initially if I get the car from Torque GT, sounds like they are pretty thorough. I'm thinking more about long term protection of the bay. My old DC2 started to go in their pretty bad towards the end and I'd like to avoid that with the DC5 if I can.

Cheers

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Crackfox said:
I'm just curious what people are using for polish on their Tegs. I currently use PoorBoys Black hole on the civic and Quashqai, but as it's formulated for dark cars I don't imagine it's a good plan to use it on a CW Teg. I was looking at their lighter formula as I like their stuff, any experiences?
Black Hole is awesome stuff. I use it on my daily CRZ. It works by using fillers to help hide smaller imperfections and make black cars look really rich and glossy. White cars (at least, Champ White Honda's) tend to just go a bit flat and dull over time so a product that cleanses the paint is needed, rather than something that fills and hides imperfections. Because of this, we started stocking Soft99's King of Gloss White a few months back. It's a Japanese brand of wax, although I use the term wax loosely. It's more like a paste.

The Japanese are all about convenience, so the idea with this stuff is that it cleanses white paint and brings back a really nice glossy finish, much like Black Hole does for black paint, which makes keeping the paint looking glossy dead easy.

I usually recommend adding something a little more hard wearing over the top to help extend the life of the finish.

Find it HERE on the store.

Hope this helps!

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Torque GT said:
Black Hole is awesome stuff. I use it on my daily CRZ. It works by using fillers to help hide smaller imperfections and make black cars look really rich and glossy. White cars (at least, Champ White Honda's) tend to just go a bit flat and dull over time so a product that cleanses the paint is needed, rather than something that fills and hides imperfections. Because of this, we started stocking Soft99's King of Gloss White a few months back. It's a Japanese brand of wax, although I use the term wax loosely. It's more like a paste.

The Japanese are all about convenience, so the idea with this stuff is that it cleanses white paint and brings back a really nice glossy finish, much like Black Hole does for black paint, which makes keeping the paint looking glossy dead easy.

I usually recommend adding something a little more hard wearing over the top to help extend the life of the finish.

Find it HERE on the store.

Hope this helps!
You say it's a wax? whereas Black hole is a polish. I usually use Nattys Wax on top. What do you mean by hard wearing?

Torque GT

Parts Trader
As I said, I use the term wax loosely when it comes to KOG white. It achieves a similar thing to Black Hole in the sense that it‘s designed for a specific colour and brings back the clarity and gloss, it just achieves it in a different way.

By hard wearing I mean a sealent or a more traditional hard wearing wax that will prolong the life of the coating. Soft99 quote about 3 months of life for King of Gloss.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Torque GT said:
As I said, I use the term wax loosely when it comes to KOG white. It achieves a similar thing to Black Hole in the sense that it‘s designed for a specific colour and brings back the clarity and gloss, it just achieves it in a different way.

By hard wearing I mean a sealent or a more traditional hard wearing wax that will prolong the life of the coating. Soft99 quote about 3 months of life for King of Gloss.
So would you then use something like Fusso Wax ontop?

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Few things to get right first.

Black Hole isnt a polish at all. It's a filling glaze. Ie it temporarily masks scratches.

A polish is a product with abrasives which levels clearcoat (on a microscopic level) and results in a mirror like finish as it aims to remove light scratches.

When you say you want to polish the car, do you actually mean polish? Ie using a compound to reduce the clear cost.

Or do you mean a product to protect the paintwork?

Polish restores the finish, wax/glazes/sealant adds protection.

I really think that a Ceramic wax is a good sealant. In2detailing do one for about 20 quid and lasts ages.

Alot of good stuff on YouTube to trawl through re polishing if it's something of interest to you.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Hey, thanks for the tip. My usual routine is foam, wash, black hole then Wax. Clay if needs be. I do that 2/3 times a year. The rest is just gosm and wash.