New Car what do I get?

dan the man

Advanced Member
besat answer ive seen on this threasd besides DC5 is the clio 255.

cars got soul, looks the bollox, sounds it and goes well too. a special car to learn and perfect.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
J1mmy_S said:
Still I would rather avoid Front Wheel drive as my accident probably wouldn't have happened in a 4WD car or mybe RWD.
This is so completely wrong mate. It's not the car or the driven wheels, it's the speed you go in the rain. All cars aquaplane, the only difference is the speed it happens - light cars with fat tyres will aquaplane at lower speeds than lard-mobiles with skinny tyres.

The only difference the driven wheels make is how easy it is to control when you're in trouble, in which case it would generally go 4WD -> FWD -> RWD.

I speak from experience by the way, having written off an S2000 in very similar circumstances.

keevster

Advanced Member
Mate, i personally would go after another DC5, or a newer CTR EP3.

DC5 would be my ultimate choice, even if i did not own one just now, so i aint really being biast. Its got the looks, handles superbly out the box, goes like stink out the box, economical when needed.

Its got the lot basically, and IMO its a lot of car for the money.

I have driven and owned a few Hot hatches, Impreza ect, and as a drivers car the DC5 does take some beating. There is no way i would move to anything else at present, as if i moved up the way in terms of performance, i would be bankrupted :lol: , and in all honesty for that little bit extra performance out of some of the above said cars, i personally just dont think its worth it.

Not driven the megane, i do like it though, had a 182 previous, but the build quality left a lot to be desired. I am quite sure if the R26 goes round bends as well as the 182 and has the power to back it up, then i can only imagine it will be a hard car to beat.

It also depends too on how long you are wanting to keep the car. Anything a bit older Non honda may cause you some problems along the way, some being expensive to repair, ie the Reno's, with the DC5 you know yourself if treated properly its gona run a long time by previous statistics with very little outlay.

At the end of the day, its your choice, if you aint planning on keeping a car that long, well go and try something different, i know i have on plenty of occassions. Why i have the DC5 now, is i am sick of throwing big money at cars, hence why the DC5 will remain standard, it serves its purpose well for me now.

Paul :wink:

fast_eddie

R26 Megane is very good-It is on my list of possible cars to purchase in 6 months when I sort my business out. I have driven one and I am a member of the renaultsport forum too. There is from what I read, a massive difference between the build quality of the run of the mill Meaganes and the Renaultsport versions.
The R26 goes very very well and also handles very well too. It was more than a match for my old Leon Cupra R and the diff felt good too. I fully agree that build quality is not as good as potential rivals, but it is a lot of car for 15k ish brand new?

My other possibles are:
obviously-ITR DC5
JDM ITR
Nissan 350Z
Would love a rwd clio but ZERO practicality!
Alfa 147 GTA (leftfield)
R32 Golf
E46 M3---Not sure about horrendous running costs!!
Subaru/Evo--running costs/ massive potential for turning yourself into a road rally freak as grip/performance levels are so high!!

J1mmy_S

Clio V6's are awesome cars (brillant noise), but I wouldn't like to own. Being french is probably going to be brittle.
I do love BMW's (used to have one) so thats an option?? E46 330i Sport or somthing like that. Finding one with low mileage is an impossibilty thou :( (I really want a car with under 40,000).
350Z is another big contender, although for my budget Im looking at the lower end of he market, but have seen a few '03, under 30k's for £12-13k. And the name is soooo cool, 350Z!!
Other than that a Subaru Impreza WRX PPP (265bhp). I would like an STI but the insuance is a little bit over budget. And a WRX with Prodrive Performance Pack brings it up to 265bhp, and there tend to have STI rear wings :)

keevster

Advanced Member
J1mmy_S said:
Other than that a Subaru Impreza WRX PPP (265bhp). I would like an STI but the insuance is a little bit over budget. And a WRX with Prodrive Performance Pack brings it up to 265bhp, and there tend to have STI rear wings :)

If you could stretch the extra pennies together i would recommend the STI PPP :lol: .
The WRX with the PPP is a pokey motor, but standard suspension and brakes let it down badly. I had the equivelent WRX with full Decat and Ecutek Remap, so pumping out slightly more than the PPP.

The STI PPP on the other hand is a weapon :lol:

Ragingkileak

For the record guys...

I took an R26 for a weekend test drive the weekend before the one just passed.

My choices are to Import a Teg, buy a brand new R26, or look into BMW 330i convertibles.. Granted I realise they are much different choices but I have various reasons for them.

Anyway, the R26 is a superb car without any doubt. I would SERIOUSLY doubt that a DC5 would be able to gain any noticeable advantage if any on a track. The Megane also looks good, somehow not being nearly as gay as the standard Meganes. I would argue that the interior is not bad either, its reasonably well laid out and its well equipped when you consider the supposed weight reducing that has gone. Considering its £15k brand new with not a mile on it, and you get 3 years warranty - its not bad.

Not that I am defending it too much, I agree that it lacks soul.... I was just finding myself at 90 miles an hour and wondering how I got there... in my EP3 its a lot more fun getting there even if its not as quic and I expect the Teg to be better still or else why wouldnt people just get Civics eh? 8)

Regards
Matt

J1mmy_S

Where do you find R26's for that money?

I love convertibles but are totally out of the question, as if I was in a convertible I would be a dead man! I having been looking into E46 330i Sport Coupes though.

fast_eddie

buymynewcar are doing some good deals at the mo on the R26. I am not sure if I am allowed to post up their contact details on here so pm me if you need them.
The alternative is Renault 0% finance which apparently doesn't work out too bad either!

Ragingkileak

£14,789 on the road in blue with decals, erm, I dont think I went for any options because I didnt see any that had any point...

PM me for details if you want. Its a great car for that price!

Matt

J1mmy_S

ey Lee fife.............Less of that. Least I've actually had a DC5 (at the age of 22 i might add) a lot of peeps of on here haven't! Like you probably...

J1mmy_S

Hi,

Just to let you all know I have found my next car BMW E46 328ci in Topaz with brand new grey leather, 19" iForged 3 Piece Rims worth over £3,500, pimp as *cough*!!! Thanks to you all been emotional, haha.

Cheers

keevster

Advanced Member
J1mmy_S said:
ey Lee fife.............Less of that. Least I've actually had a DC5 (at the age of 22 i might add) a lot of peeps of on here haven't! Like you probably...

Think its a piss take mate, dont get too heated up, first post, some kid on the wind up :lol: :wink:

J1mmy_S

Yeah i've had bm before and I love em. They have everything in a car power, top drivers cars, awesome brakes, build quality, handling yet luxury and comfort as well!! And straight engines are amazing, especially the noise!!! haha