New Civic Type R specs

mad

We can't be sure for anything, till is officially tested by the various magazines. But for one thing I hope that the Japanese didn't lose their touch in making sport cars. I hope and wish that is faster and better than the car it replaces, but I don't think it will be comparable to the DC5.

Taj Khan

120kg EXTRA????? this could be that of the additional features such as sat nav, extra display for the speed and other gizmos that could be giving it the extra weight.

Im suprised that its still got the same 2.0l vtec engine giving 198-200bhp, I thought honda would have increased the bhp a little more.

But they have stated that its 0-60mph time will be quicker than the previous model close to a DC5 maybe?

I just hopes it goes down well like the last one did and that the differences will show.

luffy

Advanced Member
personaly i think it will be the same as the ep3 as it has slightly more power but sat nav, dual zone climate etc have to way a fair bit?

ronald

luffy said:
personaly i think it will be the same as the ep3 as it has slightly more power but sat nav, dual zone climate etc have to way a fair bit?
The JDM version is rumoured to have 240ps. But with the addition weight, I doubt that it will be faster than DC5 despite of having additional 20 more ponies. On the other hand, it should be faster than the CL7R imho.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
The japanese version is still going testing. The latest about the development of this model are found here :

http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/prot ... hilosophy/

As far as i understand, from translating the page, they are trying to beat the times posted by previous models before they release it...A bit heavier is not always bad, some other changes on gear ratios and suspension can make up for the extra weight....

turbo5

Advanced Member
The JDM version and the EDM version are two completely different cars. The European version is heavier than the old version and only increases the BHP by one HP. They have also replaced the suspension with a twist beam rear suspension . The reviews by the current CTR owners is not very good, they feel disapointed that they were no power upgrade, weighs more etc. They wanted an LSD HIDS power upgrades and modability.
Honda themselves have admitted they want to lose the boyracer image and are targeting the GTI market with more mature drivers and more women. Unfortunately middle of the road cars sell more than a true enthusiast car and honda are gambling on the fact by making it softer and more GTI like they will sell more.
So for true enthuasiast its not a car for them while, mr family man who wants a warm hatch with dual zone aircon, bluetooth, satnav refridgerated glove box and armrests will be very happy. it wouldn't suprise me if it came with a tow bar as standard.
As for being mod friendly according to the people who went to the press review its quite the opposite, its full of air meters everywhere making modding very difficult and expensive, Room is also an issue, not enough room for aftermarket airfilters and the zorst will be difficult to mod also. Another point to remember is that the Japanese after market manufacturers might not bother making mods for this car as it only a european market and they will concentrate on the JDM.
I believe it will be a success and its a nice car but after a DC5 I would consider it as a down grade.

gaz3434

Advanced Member
turbo5 said:
....I believe it will be a success and its a nice car but after a DC5 I would consider it as a down grade.
My thoughts exactly! I do like it but I don't know if I would buy one as I feel that Honda are deviating slightly from the Type R ethos, part of which is keeping the weight to a minimum!