New Civic Type R. WTF?

Reggie91

Advanced Member
You're not alone! I'm really not a fan. Have you seen the three tail pipes?! :S apparently it's functional? Helps stop the exhaust booming...

The fk2 only came out in 2015 so I'm surprised a new one is about to be released.

joiner

Advanced Member
I'll give it a while and see, when the fk2 came out I was unsure but as time went on the shape and lines have grown on me and I really like it now. The new one will be the same, I like the little carbon details this time on the spoiler, front bumper and side skirts. Is it me or do the seats look more chunky than the old type R's

I reckon for the modding crew that this will be the one to get, because it's available worldwide there will loads of tuners that will jump at the massive customer base and potential sale of all sorts of add ons, I can't wait to see all the mugen goodies.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
I'm looking forward to where the FK2 goes now in terms of depreciation, but also interested to know what changes they've made to the engine as I've heard whispers the current FK2's struggle with heat problems.

Can see them plummeting depending on how the new model sells in the U.K. looking forward to a future bargain.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I quite like it apart from the 3 exhausts, the FK has grown on me and I think this looks better again.

Sounds like they've spent a lot of time on development, only downside is it needs to be 4WD imo to help keep the power down but I can't see Honda ever going down that route.

Sonny1

Advanced Member
It makes me want to vomit in my mouth!! Hate the styling of the new civics. Too over the top for me but thats just my opinion.

Fez

Advanced Member
I've hated the last couple of civics when they were released, but now i like them, this will probably be the same lol.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I have not been a fan of the latest versions at all, the FK2 is not exactly nice looking and the new one really doesn't look nice imo. However that said although not a fan of the looks I did look at getting an FK2 but decided against it as I couldn't bring myself to spend that sort of money on a Civic as it got very expensive once I added on the bits I wanted for it to be the required specification. The newest edition looks nasty imo (maybe it will grow on me a bit, but the FK2 still hasn't fully grown on me. I still prefer the EK9, DC2, DC5, S2K or FD2 all day long.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I think it looks a lot better in black compared to the other colours. I think this and the last civic has been over the top. But then after a while the last civic grew on me and looks ok now so maybe this one will too.

I actually don't think the FK will depreciate that hard, there cant be many of them sold so probably will be rare enough.

One thing that bothers me about the new generation of hot hatches is that there is nothing sleek about them, they are all high, big and chunky with bits sticking out everywhere. I don't like that type of design. Although saying that I don't like the design of the EP3 either.

The only new car I would buy if I had to would be a Toyota GT86. (I will never buy a new car though)

adam.

Advanced Member
FK2 was merely a testing platform for the new engine, hence why we've seen an 'all new' CTR so soon - with the same engine.

Quite like the tri-tail-pipes, very F40.

If I had to have one 'NEW' car that ticked every box, it'd be this or an FRS.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The styling is marmite, sure, but at least it stands out. The Golf R could be mistaken with a Golf GTI or GTD at first glance, or even a normal Golf. Imagine walking down the road and there's someone's R parked up, you would barely look twice. It's the same with the Focus RS and other hatches. With the FK2 and FK8 you definitely know what you're looking at. Just like Scoobies and Evo's of old. I like what Honda are doing. Be bold, be different.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I'm currently 50/50 with all the colours except the black, I like it in black. Yet the stock new civic looks awful in black. :-k

Indi

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
The styling is marmite, sure, but at least it stands out. The Golf R could be mistaken with a Golf GTI or GTD at first glance, or even a normal Golf. Imagine walking down the road and there's someone's R parked up, you would barely look twice. It's the same with the Focus RS and other hatches. With the FK2 and FK8 you definitely know what you're looking at. Just like Scoobies and Evo's of old. I like what Honda are doing. Be bold, be different.
Completely agree with this. Golf club sport for instance just looks like a normal Golf GTD with tiny changes, which won't be noticeable to the untrained eye.

I really like this FK8, the more pictures I see the more I like it but I do prefer FK2 over this and with only 2500 FK2's produced makes it a bonus as it's quite rare car.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
See I'm the other way, I really don't like the back of the FK2, seems an afterthought. It'll be interesting to see what prices are like come next summer.

Indi

Advanced Member
Yeah will be interesting to see what price they come down to but I can't see them dropping a big amount than they already have as the limited production should help keep the prices steady IMO :)

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
joiner said:
Is it me or do the seats look more chunky than the old type R's

Left hand drive one may just be giving larger seats for the American market......

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
I'll wait till I see one in the metal. On paper I really didn't like the look of the FK2, but I'm tempted by one for my next car now. If/when I sell the Teg.

But again, on video/paper, I'm even less impressed with this than I was the FK2 when it was first released. A firm no from me at the moment.

I also don't like how all the cars are getting bigger and bigger, and with more doors. At least give us an option of a 3 door Type R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I saw one of the new 2017 normal Civics the other day and it looked very modern and futuristic, if the new Type R is as crazy as it seems then it will look mental against some of the more modern cars.