New coilovers

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'm starting to think about switching my coilovers. I'm not sure if it's my geom or the D2s but I'm not 100% happy with the ride and handling atm. What's out there apart from the usual?

spo_gen

Advanced Member
Considering your an owner of a Japanese based car forum, you should know better than most that the ''SEARCH'' button is your best friend. :wink: :lol:

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I know I have searched mate, but the other threads are quite old and I thought there might be some new kit out.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
Theres lots of jap brand suspension you could get imported but i would imagine noone has it and so cant help you with it.

If you dont like the handling you could always get new springs for the D2's at different stiffness to sort out the issues you have.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Chris, have you considered Diyama coilovers?
My mate had a set on his DC2 and they weren't too harsh. They are similarly priced to the D2 ones too. :D

Frank

Advanced Member
I'm still waiting on my bloody daiyma parts!!! :evil:

been about 3 or 4 months now

jostrom

Advanced Member
Daiyama coilovers are same type of cheaper taiwanese coilovers like D2/K-Sport. If you currently have D2s I would look for something better. Maybe TEIN or HKS or even Öhlins if your budget can stretch...

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Chris

All Jap brands will be a little on the hard side for our roads here...

Also, the cheaper brands like D2 (for example) will have some comprise and wont be the best for our roads.. and if I'm being honest..

Many people like Tein... but this has a lot to do with the marketing that's been applied... they are not the best by fair, although they are marketed like that, and people fall into the trap etc..

Often its down to choice, and budget... as said the best would be a custom set-up (your own spring, valve rates etc), but this wont be cheap... (that's they way I'm having to go....)

Not much help, but you know my opinion.

Mike

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
Chris

All Jap brands will be a little on the hard side for our roads here...

Also, the cheaper brands like D2 (for example) will have some comprise and wont be the best for our roads.. and if I'm being honest..

Many people like Tein... but this has a lot to do with the marketing that's been applied... they are not the best by fair, although they are marketed like that, and people fall into the trap etc..

Often its down to choice, and budget... as said the best would be a custom set-up (your own spring, valve rates etc), but this wont be cheap... (that's they way I'm having to go....)

Not much help, but you know my opinion.

Mike
I feel ya mate, it's not the stiffness that bothers me, it's just the way that the car feels sometimes, ie not 100% planted and I don't get a confidence closer to the limit... like I said it's possible my geom settings so I'm going to have it looked at.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Just found the spring rates of my D2s.

8.7 front 9.3 rear.

Think I'm going to go with some AST coilovers once I've got the cash together. G, from TRO had them put on his CTR and is very impressed with them. Had a chat with Curtis from powerstation just now and was informed about them. Anyway here's G's scope on them:

G said:
OK The next stage is now complete. I have my new coilovers on at last :D. I have been mulling over for some time what ones to get. I have driven a CTR and a Scoobie with Tein on, and whilst they were ok, TBH I found them a little harsh for our UK roads a bit too crashy. Also I did fancy something a we bit different as everyone and his mate has Tein, so went for these bad boys:

AST's!. To be honest I was only really familiar with them through hearing good things from Scooby net and their performance on Track at the Time Attack on the Litchfield car. So I gave them a ring and had a helpfull chat with their man in the know Curtis who is based at Powerstation (the importers). Powerstation who are used extensivly by Litchfields to prep and set up their own cars and those of their customers.
So I was very confident they know what they are about. What I was unaware of was they also set up and prep race cars both EP and DC5's for various race series in Europe; including Brit Car, all using AST kit. Encourageing. The quality of these are second to none, very impressive indeed.
These are the Sportline series of kit with a slight difference, the front tubes are inverted type taken from the Sportline II range due to the EP3's front end design (they need to be stronger due to loads deriving for the position of the steering arms, so these are designed with our car in mind).

So, with the missus, Hasnic (to take pics :cool: ) and Akina Speedstar of we went to Powerstation to have them slapped on and the car set up. One of the cool things I was able to do that you cannot always do when buying off the shelf as it were, was we were able to swap the springs over for ones more suited to my needs (in this case slightly firmer ones). They have a whole range of different rates for both front and rear and will gladly discuss your needs and advise accordingly. They can also re-valve if needed. As well as do all the needed servicing on site if needed. Result!.

Anywhoo here they are on:

The fronts are inverted tube type. Super tuff. And here is the rear adjustment:

Nice and easy with those distinctive orange (they are Dutch) adjusment knobs. 12 clicks of firmness/rebound adjustment. I have them set on 5 at the moment, 1 click softside of middle. Here is a pic of the workshop, my car next to the very impressive Litchfield time Attack car:

All that was needed then was to set up the cars geometry. I was running the ABP fast road set up, but over time it had gone a little out of alignment, especialy at the rear. We have changed the set up a little.

All done. Here is a pic of the cars drop so far, they are of course adjustable for ride hight via a single locking ring, nice system which helps prevent the dreaded two rings locking together I have encountered before.

That is the most helpful Curtis on the left :D.

As for the drive. Well chalk and cheese is all I can say. I was happy with the ABP set up, but of course my oem dampers had done 90k miles and you really cannot beat a set of matched components.

They are firm but more importantly complient (much more so than the Teins, I have experience which tbh were crashy in comparison, and they were set on the softest setting). Weather it is because the AST's are European in design and have ore of a bias towards our roads I am not sure. All I can say is these are superb, they just soak up the bumps without going off line. The set up is just about spot on, and it is nice to know I can firm em up should I ever get my lazy ass on a trackday. Turn in is just perfect and the car is so stable, even more so than before.

So big thanks to Curtis and the guys at Powerstation :D :D

Oh next on the list is some new wheels from Rare Rims ;), so I will be selling the BC's.......

Thanks to Hasnic for taking the pics :D.

celox performance

Advanced Member
If you have too much neg camber then it will feel strange round bends until grip is gained, a bit light etc. I know this from tweaking my D2's and have tried a lot of different combinations. Slight neg camber gives the car a better feel but sacrifices outright grip.

My current settings are -2.25 camber (front) and -2.00 (rear) and it does feel light until the tyres grip and then it's great :D