New CTR induction kit - and might be coming for the DC5 too!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Scousefella from TRO gave up his car to a company for some research into a new Gruppe M beating kit for the CTR. I'll cut a long story short - here is what scouse has come back with:

Scousefella said:
OK, I am back. :D :D :D :D

I will start from the beginning.

1st of all can I just say a big "Thanks very Much" to Andy Cole for having the initial discussions and contact with Simon, the guy I am about to tell you about. :smt023

OK, Simon started his own business called Reverie about 5 years ago in Marks Tey, a small town on the outskirts of Colchester - take a look at his website and you will get a good idea of what he is about. 8)

http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/

Now I have just got back from having Simon and his team work some magic on the CTR and install a rather special Induction Kit. :twisted:

I have only driven 3 miles on it (that is how far I live from his workshop) so I will be going back out in a few mins but I can at least post a few pics for you to have a look at. :wink:

So, first of all here is the Reverie Carbon Fibre Chamber housing a Tapered Conical Filter. :twisted:

Here again from another angle.

And one more for you.

Obviously in order to gain as much Air Intake as possible the best possible location for an Air Feed was required. After much deliberation and hesitation on my behalf we decided to place a Carbon Fibre NACA Duct into the front bumper and it is bonded and sealed. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The airfeed leads directly under and into the rear of the Carbon Fibre Chamber. 8)

Pics. :shock: :shock: :shock:

And again.......

And once more for luck. :wink:

So, opinions please folks. :D :D :D

I will be off out in 10 mins for a blast just to let the ECU get a feel for the change - should have a driving comment or 2 afterwards. :wink:
Apart from the bumper modification there is an alternate for the cold air feed namely being an aluminium pipe from where the AEM and Injen sit for those that don't want their bumper being cut up..

There should be a DC5 going to the company so they can have a look if there's any nescessary changes required.

All the chat on TRO can be read HERE.

Thought you guys might be interested in this :D

kingston

Advanced Member
For those who dont want to have to cut up the bumper yet spend money at a bodyshop having the NACA duct fitted or those feeling brave, cutting the front bumper themselves doesnt exactly appeal to me as the only thing youve got to cut with the injen is part of the splash guard....

dan the man

Advanced Member
NACA duct very brave and should be applauded. function over form and if it was body coloured then might not be too bad.

Like the idea of it as performance driven. 8)

Mersey_typeR

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
NACA duct very brave and should be applauded. function over form
Indeed, I love the NACA duct's ever since seeing them on an F40 when I was about 6.

The carbon might look pretty good on a black car actually. :idea:

Paul-CTR

That is a poor design imo. The whole point of a CAI is not just to provide cold air, its also about minimizing restrictions.

Forcing the air to go through a complete 180 before it enters the filter not only slows the airflow down, thus defeating the point of cutting a hole into your bumper in the first place, but also warms it up in the process.

JiB

Advanced Member
Paul-CTR said:
That is a poor design imo. The whole point of a CAI is not just to provide cold air, its also about minimizing restrictions.

Forcing the air to go through a complete 180 before it enters the filter not only slows the airflow down, thus defeating the point of cutting a hole into your bumper in the first place, but also warms it up in the process.
I'd have to agree there :? At first glance I thought it was a GruppeM clone of sort..till I saw where the air was being taken from..However, is there any special feature that puts this apart from the sea of other induction/intake kits out there?

dan the man

Advanced Member
well air into a gruppeM does a 180 in effect going forward then back into the airbox. can say that about every filter if u tried.

Ken A

Advanced Member
looks the nuts to me to be honest. I think the CF duct would look good on most DC5 colours.

I'd guess at saying that a lot of thought has gone into the design of this kit and the manufacturer knows what is going on in technical terms !! :wink: :wink:

I'm not too sure I'd have the bottle to cut the bumper myself but if it came back looking as good as that then I would certainly give it to a bodyshop !

Paul-CTR

Difference between this and the GruppeM is simple. Airpressure. That needs to be kept high in order for it to be effective. Look at the length of air hose used in that design.

dan the man

Advanced Member
Look at the length of air hoses used in garage workshopd. well long yet with enough pressure they still got mega power.

And ffs the air dont have to go far, a meter tops? At anything over 20mph thats not hard is it. Not like its 5mm pipe or anything

The Meist_R

Advanced Member
JiB said:
Paul-CTR said:

I'd have to agree there :? At first glance I thought it was a GruppeM clone of sort..till I saw where the air was being taken from..However, is there any special feature that puts this apart from the sea of other induction/intake kits out there?
It might not necessarily be a poor design, the conical shape of the filter housing may indicate that it is acting as a converging-diverging nozzle, if so this will increase airflow.

Evs

Advanced Member
It looks interesting, be keen to see the results. I won't be swapping my GruppeM for one because I wouldn't be keen to cut the bumper like that, but it's great to see another kit on the market - more competition and choice has got to be good for the punter. 8)

iDrew

Advanced Member
Evs said:
It looks interesting, be keen to see the results. ... but it's great to see another kit on the market - more competition and choice has got to be good for the punter. 8)
Totally agree 8)

scousefella

Hey all, glad to see that the Reverie Induction Kit is getting plenty of feedback.

I understand alot of the comments regarding the airflow/distance/etc. I am speaking to Simon, the gaffer @ Reverie on Monday - there are still options for improvement and as soon as I am able I will update this thread. 8)

Just as a quick pointer (and yes, I know people will think I am biased) this kit offers me a much more aggressive attitude in the higher rev range than the AEM V1 which I (Simon) removed to install the Reverie. 8)

The GF has confirmed this with the obligatory "Stop and let me out" comments. :lol: :lol: :lol: