New DC5 - Double din problems

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Hi all -

First, I know the issue of installing a double din unit in a DC5 is one that has been covered many times, but I have searched hard and I think I have an issue that's yet to be covered.

Before Christmas I bought a DC5 as I moved closer to work and it came up at a very good price. The car seems really good - needs a service, but apart from that is ready to go. It came with some cool parts too, including Enkei NT03+m wheels, a 5Zigen cat-back and Ohlins coilovers. Here's a few really low qulaity pics!!

Anyway, after getting undersealing done I thought it would be a good idea to install a double din unit. I've never owned a DC5 before, but I presumed this would be quite easy. Bought an RSX dash kit for the surround, and then got to taking the existing unit out, only to see this:

Like I said, never done this before, but surely there's got to be some sort of standard cage/structure in there that looks like it's been snapped out for by some bright spark. So, if anyone can shed any light on this (and possibly post a pic of how it's supposed to be) that would be much appreciated! Having to get a new dash would be a massive pain!

Thanks in advance,

Max

ste01

Advanced Member
Looks a nice DC5, I've got the same colour :) I imported mine with no stereo and it didn't have a big hole shaped like that, definately should be more structure to it and have a cage or somewhere to at least fit a cage. I agree, looks snapped out to me, Maybe someone stole the old radio and broke it that way... Looks like the fastening points for the stereo/cage have gone with that broken area. Out if interest where is your hazard light switch too? That should be to the left of the radio.

Sorry I can't be more help

Erm

Advanced Member
The cage you bolt the stereo to is attached to the surround that has the hazard warning light button on, or at least it should be. Then that clips in and has 2 8mm bolts that attach at the bottom to hold it all in place and make it secure.

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Thanks for the replies - that's the issue then, the hazard surround has got no 'structure' behind it either. Will contact someone breaking one and get it bought!

Max