New DC5 Owner

creation

HI All,

Thought i'd introduce myself. Just brought myself a DC5 at the weekend, it's basically standard apart from the lowering springs. I have always been into my jap cars and have just sold a my RX7 FD after a few years ownership and prior to that I owned an FTO for 7 years.

Unfortunately the FTO engine went after 170k so I ended up breaking it for parts and turned the engine into a coffee table.

I decided to sale the RX7 because I had planned to track it, but reliability wise unless I did a single turbo conversion it probably wouldn't have been the most reliable for the track as the twin turbo setup on them is so complicated. Also i'm saving for a house so I thought i'd sale that and the daily, a civic which would free up some cash and just have the one car.

Driving it home after 30 minutes I started to find it very uncomfortable in the seat. I'm not a big guy, I've got a 34" waist, but I did find the seat very cramped and after an hours journey home my back was in loads of pain. So it means the seats are going to have to go, which is a shame as they are lovely seats. I've ordered some FN2 Type R seats which I've read will fit with some minor modifications.

I will be keeping the car fairly stock, but would like a louder exhaust and induction kit. I was looking at the prices of exhausts last night and they are a complete joke! Most are between £400-£600 just for a back box, I can't understand why they are so expensive. So unless one come up cheap second hand ill just get one custom made, can't see it costing more than £200.

Induction kits also seem quite expensive for this car as well, so I may just make my own.

Overall I am very happy with the car, I am really impressed with the handling and it's great fun to drive and not bad on fuel either.

Welcome. I may know someone who would be interested in the seats if you are thinking of selling them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Welcome to the forum mate, yeah they can get pretty expensive as I have found this year where I have carried out a number of changes to the car. Any pics/details of it? Colour and so on, where are you based?

Carl

creation

randomjiberish said:
Welcome. I may know someone who would be interested in the seats if you are thinking of selling them?
I will be selling them pal, the drivers upper bolster is worn and the fabric ripped, so will need repairing. Apart from that they are in quite good did

carl hammond said:
Welcome to the forum mate, yeah they can get pretty expensive as I have found this year where I have carried out a number of changes to the car. Any pics/details of it? Colour and so on, where are you based?

Carl
Here are a few more pics.

I'm based in Telford Shropshire.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Welcome

I recognise the car number plate not sure if on here or general sale browsing areas

I‘ve not seen fn2 seats in before but have seen ep3 premier ones and they would be more giving on tightness, but not sure if it would be more comfortable?

The rx7 looked good, love them.
But understand they are complicated.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Welcome

I recognise the car number plate not sure if on here or general sale browsing areas

I‘ve not seen fn2 seats in before but have seen ep3 premier ones and they would be more giving on tightness, but not sure if it would be more comfortable?

The rx7 looked good, love them.
But understand they are complicated.
Premier Recaros are ultra comfy!

Midnight

Advanced Member
Was that around the Birmingham area?

I know someone who would straight swap you for EP3 premier seats if you ever wanted.

Welcome!

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Hi and welcome to the forum, car looks lovely and clean. Shame about not liking the seats as the Recaro's are one of the cars unique features.

As for exhaust systems, you can buy a new JDM system for around £700 from Fujitsubo or Kakimoto. You could use Solid Fabrications, they do full custom systems for the DC5. For intakes there a few favourites on the forum, most people including me have gone for the Gruppe M which is a ram intake and sounds fantastic, the Mugen which is similar to OEM but lighter and takes it feed from the grille (best used with the Mugen front bumper) it isn't as loud as the Gruppe M but offers a better sound than OEM. The Mugen also fits very nicely and looks good in the bay. Then there is the ARC intake which are fairly rare, they take the air feed from the wheel arch and also sounds great. Lastly some people use the CAI intake which sits behind the front bumper, there has been some horror stories about them sucking up water but up to you if you don't mind the risk.

The Gruppe M and the Mugen go for around £400 for second hand or you could also get the copy version of the Gruppe M from Tegiwa for £380 (you will have to cut the scuttle yourself though). The Arc is much rarer, expect to pay near £500? Not sure how much the CAI's go for.

The genuine parts are well worth the money and they also look great, also you can re-coup the money if you ever decide to sell.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
No real risk with the AEM long arm CIA (sits in the bumper), I have it, sounds epic and I have an Injen hydroshield on it. Also the way it‘s designed stops and water getting up and through it but the Injen shields another added level of protection.

I love mine tbh (just leaves a blank area under the bonnet)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
No real risk with the AEM long arm CIA (sits in the bumper), I have it, sounds epic and I have an Injen hydroshield on it. Also the way it‘s designed stops and water getting up and through it but the Injen shields another added level of protection.

I love mine tbh (just leaves a blank area under the bonnet)
I've read on one of the groups I'm in on Facebook someone had the engine hydro-lock because of the CAI, I imagine if you have the hydro filter you'll be fine. Also rated for the best gains too.

creation

Thanks Sam for the list of options, I don't live too far away from Demon Tweeks, so if I were to get a custom exhaust i'd go there.

As for the induction kits I don't think I can justify spending £400 plus on one which is why I might see if I can make one up myself

SamDC5

Advanced Member
creation said:
Thanks Sam for the list of options, I don't live too far away from Demon Tweeks, so if I were to get a custom exhaust i'd go there.

As for the induction kits I don't think I can justify spending £400 plus on one which is why I might see if I can make one up myself
You can pick up a CAI for £280 I think, Carl will correct me. You could do the Hondata mod to the OEM air box, the OEM isn't restrictive at all, it's actually really good just weighs a tonne really. Food for thought!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk