New ECU & Coilovers

Project

Advanced Member
After not putting on a single performance mod on my car in 12 months I got very used to the standard power, loved it like hell but could know how the car would handle in any given situation.
The weekend just gone i decided to part with quite a big lump of cash to splash out on a Mugen N1 ecu and some TEIN coilovers.
this is more or less my face when i went out to test my car after adding the new mods :shock:

I'll start with the coilovers, fitted them myself with help from mates, the standard shocks were pretty much easy to get off minus one bolt on each side which gave me a king size headache, the rear was even easier to get out. new coilovers slotted in and tightened up, took a good part of the day though to make sure it was all ok to drop.
cornering is now a new game to me, what i couldn't do before i can now do with ease, i sometimes feel like im breaking some laws of science. The ride is not as harsh as some people were saying, maybe because the roads in my area are in great condition, i dont know. But i will never go back to springs.

The ECU, i was sceptical about this one, was not in the slightest knowing what to expect, but i soon found out with only going as high as 3000 revs out the drive. The car now seems to have 4 stages of power, idle - 3000 strong pull, 3000 - 5200 amazing sound coming from front and rear with a massive increase in torque making me sit tight in the recaro's, 5200-6000 vtec's engaged comes in smooth but strong, 6000 till the cut the real vtec comes out and gives yet another kick now making it harder than ever to control. An awesome feeling no doubt.

Very happy :D about both mods and would recommend to anyone to have on their list, i'm going to enjoy the next few months learning my car all over again.

\:D/

Project

Advanced Member
yes, i recently had my car lazer aligned, but now it feels a bit out, so will have to have that set up again.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you must get the geometry done to get the best from your coilovers, if you have lowered the car you will need camber adjusters for the rear.

Good luck with the mugen ecu, mine gave great feel but the worst fuel economy. :( it was even worse than my wifes evo :shock: . then a switch to kpro gave more power again and i got even better economy than with the std ecu.

Project

Advanced Member
I have noticed the fuel gauge liking it low, but didnt read too much into it as i was driving all over the place, was thinking that the N1 wouldnt be that much different in bhp gains compaired to the kpro but i guess im wrong, do you know what the increase was?
How much for the geo set up and camber adjusters?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
TGM would do rear camber arms and fast road setup for around £200 all in. Do you have front topmounts? as camber bolts would also be needed up front if not.

from memory kpro was worth about 15 hp over mugen n1, but coupled with decent exhaust and induction can be another 20odd.

Project

Advanced Member
Thats a massive increase, i thought you were gonna say something like 5bhp :lol:
I couldnt find figures on the N1 anywhere, you have any idea of the horses this gives?
So whats then the output of the Kpro?
Yeah the coilovers came with top pillow ball mounts, so camber can be adjusted.
:shock: £200 gonna have to start saving again.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
£200 includes the rear arms which are about £120, you don't necessarily need them it just gives more scope to dial in a decent fast road setup.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Its the midrange where the kpro gives the most improvement compared to the mugen, it is normal for most cars with intake/ exhaust mani(with decat) and full system with kpro to see 240odd hp. at the top but also pick up gains of 20-30 in the middle. from memory i beleive the mugen coupled with the mods mentioned gave about 225 at the top and about 10 in the midrange, so still good gains.

best person for ecu advice is Paul Jones at system R.

Project

Advanced Member
tbh i havnt filled the tank up yet since i put the ecu in, so i cant really judge the difference just yet, but im sure there will be one, hopefully not a big shock. Will let you know as soon i fill up and its gone :)

jonster

Advanced Member
There's a graph of my car comparing a mapped KPro vs. an N1 somewhere in the Gallery. KPro obviously produces more power but the N1 felt really nice on the road. Can't explain why.

Project

Advanced Member
nice, looks like there is a 15bhp difference in the vtec zone.
Now i dont know much about the k-pro but do you need to give them your standard ECU, or is it like the N1 get it mapped then plug and play?

iwantdc5

Advanced Member
Just a question about DC5 suspension setup.

how come everyone changed their Standard shocks?

is the DC5 standard not good enough?

i thought that Honda would have tune it for best road and track compromise.

when you have changed your setup, i assume it leans toward track?

Evs

Advanced Member
I personally think the OEM springs and dampers are not well matched, the springs feel too soft for the dampers. That's just my opinion, but most people who have changed just the springs for Spoon/Eibach or whatever have reported that they're much happier with the handling as a result.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
well, maybe this a reason honda made changes on the front suspension springs and steering rigidity with the facelift. They must have known something...i wonder if our steering will be a bit vague by changing suspension components and perhaps will be better to apply the changes made to the steering of the facelift....

dan the man

Advanced Member
they didnt change that much..just inverted the springs and fitted thicker strut brace didint they?

Project

Advanced Member
My brakes are starting to play up, slowly getting more annoying, ive checked the amount of padding i have left and there is just below half so i dont know why my brakes keep hitting the ABS.
Before i had put the coilovers on if i hit a small pot hole while i braked the ABS would come on, but now its more or less every time i hit the pedal, tyres are fine still got enough tread.
Wondering if you guys would have any idea why? :?