New MOT Laws!

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Any of you guys heard anything about the new MOT laws?

this is a quote from another forum, from an MOT tester here in n.i

taken from our testers manual \/

High Intensity Discharge (HID) and LED dipped beam headlamps (whether original fitment or after-market) must be fitted with a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling. This may be achieved by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems. However, some high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have limited luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system. It is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

does this apply to the dc5?

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
I heard this from a friend aswell, im going to goto my MOT guy and check to see what he thinks.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
theres no chance ill be butchering my bumper to fit washers... think its a bit pathetic to be honest, should be doing more to stop idiots in corsa with hid kits in that blind the life of oncoming traffic

alan-lee

Advanced Member
yeah it doesnt take affect till april.. mine is up at the end of feb, but im thinking long term as i dont imagine selling the car

jambo

Advanced Member
if the car was not fitted with washers from the factory they do not have to be fitted. As it states you cant change the factory spec of the car to pass new legislation. Your car will pass no problem. Well should do any way. All new cars with hid headlamps have to have head lamp cleaning system of some kind. We had a mot video at work last week stating all the changes and there is quite a few aswell.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
if the car was not fitted with washers from the factory they do not have to be fitted. As it states you cant change the factory spec of the car to pass new legislation. Your car will pass no problem. Well should do any way. All new cars with hid headlamps have to have head lamp cleaning system of some kind. We had a mot video at work last week stating all the changes and there is quite a few aswell.
oh so what your saying is that i wont have to do anything to pass the lights check? if so thats a result!

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Hang on full changes incoming.....

EDIT: Quoted from somewhere else.

Will the new MOT rules cost you?

Published: 16 January 2012 Topic: News,Insurance,Car
Drivers already struggling with soaring fuel and insurance prices could face the added sting of unexpected repair bills because of new MOT rules which came into force this month.
As of January 1, 2012, the Department of Transport has added a series of changes to the MOT criteria to reflect the complexity of modern cars' electronics. From faulty tyre pressure monitoring systems to steering lock checks, the MOT 'pass' criteria is now stricter than it was.
The main changes to the MOT include:
Dashboard

The new MOT test will check the warning lights are working properly for the main beam headlights, power steering, brake fluid, tyre-pressure monitor, air bag, seat belt pre-tensioner, electronic parking brake and electronic stability control, where present.
The speedometer must be complete and fully operational. If the dial glass is broken or the speedometer cannot be illuminated, the car will fail the test.
Lighting

If any of the lights have been modified - with coloured lenses for example - to result in their colour or intensity being altered, your vehicle will also fail.
For vehicles with High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps, a failure will be issued if the HID system doesn't include headlamp cleaning and leveling systems, or if they don't work properly.
Power

A battery which is insecure or leaking electrolyte will result in failure. Also, any visible wiring which is insecure, bared by worn insulation, not properly supported or capable of causing a short will trigger a failure.
A vehicle will fail if it had a catalytic converter which has since been removed, or if it has damaged or chafed fuel pipes.
Steering

Dysfunctional or absent steering locks, where fitted as standard, will now cause the vehicle to fail - as will missing or damaged dust covers and suspension ball joints.
Other extras

The driver's seat fore and aft adjustments, which move the seat forwards and backwards, must be able to be secured in two or three different positions. If the vehicle has electric seats, the motors must be able to move the seat fore and aft.
Doors must be easily opened and closed from the inside and outside. Tow bars must be free from inappropriate repairs or modifications and the airbag must be present and working if it was fitted as standard.
When do I need to make the changes?

The new rules come into play from January 1 but there is an initial grace period of three months. During this time the rules will be treated only as 'advisories', meaning motorists will have until their first MOT after April 1, 2012 to have any of the new listed problems addressed. From that date onward however, breaking one of the rules will result in an immediate MOT fail.

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Was talking to my garage I use about the new MOT laws, the HID's won't affect us as it's against factory standard.

The one that has caused me expense so far was the SRS system. If you've got an aftermarket steering wheel or your SRS light won't turn off after going on it will be a fail now apparently.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Haha lucky bugger!

But yeah i really hope this doesnt affect the teg as im not planning on selling but imagine trying to sell before next years MOT! Youd get very little for them!

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Id say for the purpose taking the car to MOT u would be fine mate!

Im sure someone can correct me tho!!

Torque-GT

We sought clarification from VOSA on the changes. Apparently most of the new additions are to bring us into line with European directives.

As above, DC5 OEM HID's will be fine. Main concern is image beam being correct where non standard HID's have been fitted to normal halogen headlights.

All MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light's) will now be a fail (Engine management seems to be excluded for the short term) ABS has been a RFR for a while, but now Traction Control, SRS etc are included

Where a Catalyst should be present in an exhaust, it must be, even if emissions criteria are met.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Just been through my MOT. I had bought new headlights for the Teg and due to some "creative" bulb fitting by the importers my car failed on its beam image.

Old lights back on retested all is fine. Now to source an OEM set of HIDs and sort these light out once and for all.

(null)

Hoodster

Advanced Member
What about tyres anyone know which tyres are going to be made illegal I have a nearly new set of re070's on my teg cost over £500 I will be well gutted if I have to fork out for new rubber so soon ?