New OEM damper recommendations? Is EP3 fitment suitable

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I seem to have a little bit of play in my front dampers, clearly visible when jacked up and on full droop, and the car currently has some undesirable handling characteristics like pulling around under acceleration and an eagerness to go anywhere but where I point it. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm going to start by replacing them obviously, even if it doesn't cure my handling issues they are definitely due. Can anyone recommend a good OEM replacement? I'm struggling to find any DC5 spec items

I've been looking at putting EP3 front dampers and track rod ends on it as I believe this is all that's needed for the EP3 conversion...but are OEM quality EP3 danpers up to the job? I don't want the car to be under damped or anything like that. I've seen some bilstein and koni replacements available

Any advice welcome, struggling to commit to a purchase ATM

Thanks,
Dan

spooke

Advanced Member
You can get DC5 dampers, Hendy's on here can get you them as with other traders. I wouldn't use EP3's as I'm pretty sure they have a different damping rate - I think it's about £400 for a pair.

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
spooke said:
You can get DC5 dampers, Hendy's on here can get you them as with other traders. I wouldn't use EP3's as I'm pretty sure they have a different damping rate - I think it's about £400 for a pair.
Unfortunately at the moment £400 is out of budget for me really. Although I don't want to put any cheaper ep3 ones on if the specs aren't a match. That leaves me with used OEM's but they're all similar mileage to my worn ones...

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
I'll have a set of OEM with Eibach springs coming off my car this Friday. Won't include top mounts but you'll have those already.

If you're interested let me know. I was planning on leaving them at TGM so that they can be put on eBay. Or I can take them back with me to either Croydon, or i'll be in Devon from 31st for the week.

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
MatthewM said:
Mine was the same until I replaced top mounts. £50 for the pair, might work?
Did yours have any play in the actual damper? or just thge undesirable handling?

I havent replaced top mounts on it so that may be one thing to refresh. At full droop i believe i actually have some play in the damper tube though that can be felt. If you hold your fingers at the base of the tube and rock the wheel the play willl pinch your fingers between the tube and the housing. I know full droop exaggerates this but i still think its excessive

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
TonksyDC5 said:
I'll have a set of OEM with Eibach springs coming off the my car this Friday. Won't include top mounts but you'll have those already.

If you're interested let me know. I was planning on leaving them at TGM so that they can be put on eBay. Or I can take them back with me to either Croydon, or i'll be in Devon from 31st for the week.
How many miles have yours done? Whats the reason for replacing? I may be interested but would probably need them posted and without springs.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Think they are around 60k/70k mileage wise. I am moving to coilovers this week hence why mine will be going up for sale.

Probably wouldn't be able to post unless TGM have any boxes big enough. Plus I imagine posting them might cost a bit due to weight.

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss.