New Stereo Xtrons TD695GD

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Hi all,

Just purchased the Xtrons TD695GD Car stereo. The unit is a double din 7" touchscreen running Windows CE and its own user interface.

It has GPS, Digital TV, Radio, Music/Video player, Custom background/startup logo, Internet access using Opera Mobile and loads more stuff.

It cost just under £400 and I must say so far I am VERY impressed. The screen is 800x480 and is crystal clear.

I have done a video here going through all the features quickly:

Xtrons TD695GD

Will do some pictures soon, was a bit dark last night!

Matt.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Ha ha, sick!

Like it mate, is there anything it can't do!? For that price as well.... potential bargain really!

Will have to show me Saturday! 8)

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Ha ha, sick!

Like it mate, is there anything it can't do!? For that price as well.... potential bargain really!

Will have to show me Saturday! 8)
Haven't found anything it cant do yet. Everything is working fine on it. It's very stable and the UI is very slick. Sound quality seems fine too.

I am quite suprised at how far ahead this unit is compared to offereings from JVC, ALPINE etc.

Did read something the other day though which I had never thought of. Most modern cars in the UK (And pretty much all cars in the USA) do not come with double DIN slots or even single DIN slots anymore. The stereos are all built into the car and cannot be replaced anymore on an increasing number of makes/models of cars.

Therefore companies are not putting any effort into after market stereos because there is no market for them.

This reason alone would prevent me from buying a brand new car. I am a gadget freak! Ask anyone that knows me. There is no way I would settle for some POS cd plater in my car :p

Long live the old cars, hehe :)

Matt.

PeteMTBer

Nice video! I'm in to gadgets too so I watched the whole 12minutes!

Looks awesome! When you say windows CE, can you install apps from memory card?

My Teg is standard, but for people with Kpro, Could you install the software assuming there is a USB socket and have Live Datalogging?

The interface looks very smooth! Where is your aerial for tv?

Cheers,

Pete

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Unfortunately Windows CE is different from Windows. It's technically possible but someone would have to rewrite the software. But yes you can install new apps from an SDCard. I am thinking of writing an OBD application so I display real time data from the ECU using the bluetooth connection :p

It comes with a magnetic aerial to stick on the roof but I have just purchased an amplified stick on aerial which will fix to the inside on the back window.

I am still very impressed with the unit though and trust me it takes a lot to impress me!!!

Matt.

Nice video! I'm in to gadgets too so I watched the whole 12minutes!

Looks awesome! When you say windows CE, can you install apps from memory card?

My Teg is standard, but for people with Kpro, Could you install the software assuming there is a USB socket and have Live Datalogging?

The interface looks very smooth! Where is your aerial for tv?

Cheers,

Pete

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
How is the new DDin unit going Croccy...am very interested in this...ticks all the right boxes at a very good price xthumbup

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Been working perfect. Have made a few tweeks to it such as loading a newer version of opera browser etc.

Downsides: When you turn off the car and turn it back on it doesn't carry on playing from where it left off (Basically because it is running windows). It is a minor annoyance but can live with it :).

I have also installed ScummVM on the stereo so I can play Monkey Island and Simon the Sorcerer on my stereo hehe.

Overall I am still very impressed for the price. There is definately not any other units in this price range that offer this functionality.

If you have any questions then fire away :)

Matt.

Dazmartin

Matt
That looks fantastic, I have an old flip out screen unit and its cack, missus has asked what I would like for christmas, guess what !!
I have looked at thier site, do you need to use any of the huge bunch of rca aux cables if your not going to connect any external devices ?
I was just thinking of using blu tooth, Tv. is it easy to install, I am a complete pussy when it comes to fiddling with wires !
Liked the vid :xyes:
Ta

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Blown away by this thing and for the price. Guessing we'd all need to boost the aeriel as standard they are dreadful. Xmas coming :xyes:

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
The big bunch of wires is only for audio/video inputs and outputs. So if you are not using an external amp or anything then you don't need to use it.

I haven't amplified the audio aerial and can pick up radio fine. Don't really listen too it much though :)

I did however buy an amplified TV aerial that fits to the inside of the rear window

Matt.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Matt,I`ve fitted a single Din unit to my `Teg before..is it virtually the same procedure with this DDin and can I use the same ISO connecter that I already have..Thanks,David

NiCkO

Advanced Member
i am blown away with this unit it looks superb. where can we buy them from as i can find them on ebay but they look to cheap i think?

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
i am blown away with this unit it looks superb. where can we buy them from as i can find them on ebay but they look to cheap i think?
Be careful when buying thses units on Ebay..a lot of them are from Hong Kong/China and some only have analogue tv(which will be phased out here soon)and others which dont have maps included..you have to buy them separately...best place seems to be www.xtrons.co.uk which if you join as a member you can get 10% discount..HTH David

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Got mine off ebay from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TD695GD-SAT-NAV-Car-DVD-Player-Radio-DVB-T-WiFi-GPS-/180740569510?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2a14fa39a6

Was shipped out from UK and arrived next day. I do however have a small fault on my unit now where the screen is flickering slightly. I have been in touch with the eBay seller and they have been brilliant. Sending it back for warranty repair on monday (Can't go for the weekend without a stereo!). Will let everyone know how long it takes and what the customer services is like :p

Matt.

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
As pointed out earlier in the thread make sure you get the TD695GD as this have a digital TV tuner that works in the UK. The TD695G only has an analogue tuner so the TV function will not work here anymore.

Still loving this unit though!!

Matt.

jono888

Advanced Member
wow, it looks awesome! quite out of my budget for what I am looking to get though :(