new to dc5 and handling is not what i thought

integraleo

Advanced Member
hi just thought i would put a post up as i have just come back from norfolk after picking up my new dc5.i part ex'd my dc2 and nearly cried leaving it there.anyway driving the 350 miles back home gave me a bit of time behind the wheel and first impressions are varied.engine and gearbox are great and feels much more torquey than the b18c ive been used to for the last 6 years.however the car doesnt feel as planted and sure footed on the road as the dc2 does.yes the roads are greasy im aware of that and even had a touch of understeer on a roundabout on the drive up there.but within 10 miles of picking up the dc5 i put my foot down a bit (not overly so just trying it out) and it slid and the back end became very twitchy and it seemed to snap rather than slide than the dc2 does.it could be because the tyres are crappy falkens back wasnt impressed with the way the back end snapped round.will keep u all updated as my learning the car progresses and the roads start to clear up.

rodney

Advanced Member
Exactly how I found it and i only had an affair with a DC2 for 2/3 years.

You will need:

- New rubber all round.

- Springs/coilovers.

- Front bolts & rear camber arms

- once you have the above, you need Fast Road Setup.

You will then be closer to what you're used to. FRS should not be underestimated.

Hope you bond with her with time, I'm sure you will :)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
DC2 is miles better handling out of the box in UK conditions IMO. New tyres, Eibach springs, SPC camber bolts and a FRSU is a must.

gregb

Advanced Member
And some of it can be put down to the driver too.

Getting to now the limit of the car in various conditions and then with zero to mild and then to full modifications is the learning curve that the 5 is all about and the enjoyment.

rodney

Advanced Member
Double wishbone all round, weight distribution. I know the DC5 is supposed to have a stiffer chassis? But my DC2 had one proper looking upper strut bar, one front lower, one rear upper (again a proper looking unit) and one rear lower as standard. The car felt composed at all times (apart from when I visited a ditch)

As Chris said, out of the box it seems as though Honda concentrated heavily on the chassis/handling. Not saying they didn't with the 5 but think they got it wrong slightly.

The 5 should really be a better handler/drive than the 2 which in reality it isn't.

integraleo

Advanced Member
thanks guys for all your opinions.i will modify it as time goes by and funds allow.ive read a lot about the fast road set up everyone keeps talking about.what exactly does that involve? something about adjusting camber i guess.also my drivers seat is a good 2 inches lower than the passenger seat so ive probably got a lower seat rail.im not 7 foot tall so would like a standard height one.not had time to properly look yet but im guessing i just need standard seat rail.anyone want lower driving position?

licky

I have a standard 04 dc5 and had to change the front n/s strut it sorted out the snatching of the rear end it was shot and was causing the front end to dive on islands .As of grip im still running budget tyres on the front they are rubbish slide everywhere in the wet and damp but ok in the dry the best budget tyres i have come accoss are Autoguard i used them on my old 300bhp leon and they stuck like glue wet, dry or greasy and was very durable also.

beardy

Im going from a ek9 with coilovers ad08 tyres and spoon brakes - a DC5 so i will probs experience the same feel as you. Always thought these to be better considering they beat the dc2 and ek9 on that best motoring. But alot of this could be down to the extra power?

integraleo

Advanced Member
well i will do my best to get the most out of the dc5 in handling terms.have a list of things to do first.
just ordered new front discs and pads
need new tyres as the falkens on there are shockingly slidey!!!
need to fix drivers seat bolster and fit proper rail as it sits like 2" lower
oil and filter change is imminent even tho last owner said it had been done,including gearbox oil.
then camber bolts and arms beng fitted probably along with eibach springs.
then front and rear bumper respray to fix stone chip damage and rear parking scuff.
and finally have the wheels refurbed....dont think previous owner could park.every wheel scuffed.
overall very dissapointed jumping from standard handling on dc2 to dc5.
dc2's are VERY planted and inspire massive confidence.also the ride is not as crashy and harsh as the dc5.if it had worked out the same costs i would have fitted the k20 in the dc2 and had the best of both worlds.as it is i hope i can fix the handling else i think i will be going back to a dc2

dave7368

Advanced Member
sounds like you just need front and rear camber adjusters and a TGM fast road set up

:D