New to dc5 - need pointers

NathanW

Got a month until I purchase a DC5 when my current insurance runs out.
85k white with red interior, imported October 2016 by Torque and used for couple months until the garage in buying it off bought it off him.

It is pretty much standard except for the exhaust (Megan Racing, not a brand I've seen around but after a quick google it's a 'meh' exhaust??). Mugen suspension apparently but need to delve into more detail with that and No rust at all!

I'll probably have around 1-1.5k to begin with to modify it myself and I don't know where to start. Ideally I want a double din nav for nav purposes and for music etc so buying a second hand nav (or a big discounted one online) and fitting will set me back about £700?

Then I was considering an air box? I know this may spark an argument but what's best bang for buck at the moment? The tegiwa is the one I see most popular and Gruppe M most expensive?

Any other key things to do within the first month of owning the car?

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
NathanW said:
Got a month until I purchase a DC5 when my current insurance runs out.
85k white with red interior, imported October 2016 by Torque and used for couple months until the garage in buying it off bought it off him.

It is pretty much standard except for the exhaust (Megan Racing, not a brand I've seen around but after a quick google it's a 'meh' exhaust??). Mugen suspension apparently but need to delve into more detail with that and No rust at all!

I'll probably have around 1-1.5k to begin with to modify it myself and I don't know where to start. Ideally I want a double din nav for nav purposes and for music etc so buying a second hand nav (or a big discounted one online) and fitting will set me back about £700?

Then I was considering an air box? I know this may spark an argument but what's best bang for buck at the moment? The tegiwa is the one I see most popular and Gruppe M most expensive?

Any other key things to do within the first month of owning the car?
That 1 to 1.5k probably won't go that far in a month of first ownership, the best thing to do is probably drive it for a month or so and see what it needs as far as maintenance goes, there's sure to be some niggles that need ironing out and it'll give you the best platform to put any extras on. The first and probably best mod you can do to it is get it setup properly, with a decent set of tires and geo alignment, it will totally transform the car. As far as intakes go gruppe M and the tegiwa intake are good all rounders though you will need to cut the scuttle panel to fit the tegiwa, if bought new I think the gruppe M comes with a modified scuttle although it's a fair bit more pricey usually.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

NathanW

BAD3GG said:
That 1 to 1.5k probably won't go that far in a month of first ownership, the best thing to do is probably drive it for a month or so and see what it needs as far as maintenance goes, there's sure to be some niggles that need ironing out and it'll give you the best platform to put any extras on. The first and probably best mod you can do to it is get it setup properly, with a decent set of tires and geo alignment, it will totally transform the car. As far as intakes go gruppe M and the tegiwa intake are good all rounders though you will need to cut the scuttle panel to fit the tegiwa, if bought new I think the gruppe M comes with a modified scuttle although it's a fair bit more pricey usually.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk
I know it won't go that far and don't want to blow it on mods as I know I'll probably get fresh rubber on there if needs be and get it set up.

Like I say my first 'mod' will be the nav unit and potentially a new air intake then the rest will be kept back for maintenance.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Tyres, get some nice grippy tyres on it.

Brakes and suspension, in truth the DC5 was never built for straight line speed and many newer cars are much quicker.

However spend the money wisely and aid the characteristic of the car I.E. how they handle.

You'll not notice a drastic amount of difference with the induction other than sound. Second hand group M go from £300-£500 depending on condition and Tegiwa with all the parts I 'think' are around £450 new.

A nice catback will also help in the noise department while releasing a few HP.

Many many thread, so I'd suggest you spend the time before hand to search and plan what will be best for you.

NathanW

Midnight said:
Tyres, get some nice grippy tyres on it.

Brakes and suspension, in truth the DC5 was never built for straight line speed and many newer cars are much quicker.

However spend the money wisely and aid the characteristic of the car I.E. how they handle.

You'll not notice a drastic amount of difference with the induction other than sound. Second hand group M go from £300-£500 depending on condition and Tegiwa with all the parts I 'think' are around £450 new.

A nice catback will also help in the noise department while releasing a few HP.

Many many thread, so I'd suggest you spend the time before hand to search and plan what will be best for you.
I know that they're not built for straightline speed, kind of the reason I'm buying one. My last car was a mk5 Ibiza cupra 240bhp from a 1.4 twincharged engine and DSG box, it was so fun straightline but handling was pretty god damn poor and power couldn't be put down although it was fun surprising many big power cars.

It's sitting on Mugen suspension according to the garage, was this from stock or is it something put on aftermarket either in Japan or by the previous owner?

The catback already on there is a 'Megan racing' and after a quick google ive not seen too much about them so I'm assuming it was imported with it on. The exhaust note sounded very nice to be honest not too much of a scream and no real drone when I test drove it. Will probably put it on a dyno too to see what it's running compared to its stated stock figures.

Got 5 weeks to read up on all I can, should be fun as I'm getting impatient already

Midnight

Advanced Member
Megan Racing are very similar to Japspeed and other Chinese copies. That's not saying th catback will be bad, as never seen one for the DC5.

Form the above, you already know an induction will be pointless so I'd go with more focused tyres and brakes.

Happy hunting!

NathanW

Midnight said:
Megan Racing are very similar to Japspeed and other Chinese copies. That's not saying th catback will be bad, as never seen one for the DC5.

Form the above, you already know an induction will be pointless so I'd go with more focused tyres and brakes.

Happy hunting!
Ah okay glad you shone some light on the exhaust thank you.

Probably be looking at the nav first then fresh rubber all around and new discs pads and probably braided lines as I've seen some do this?

Midnight

Advanced Member
Braided lines and upgrades fluid will offer a firmer pedal and higher resistance to overheating so shouldn't go spongy or boil on the roads at all. For sake of £100 it is a worthwhile upgrade.

A lot on here like the Yoko AD08R, they are a good fast road tyre and don't cost the earth.

NathanW

Midnight said:
Braided lines and upgrades fluid will offer a firmer pedal and higher resistance to overheating so shouldn't go spongy or boil on the roads at all. For sake of £100 it is a worthwhile upgrade.

A lot on here like the Yoko AD08R, they are a good fast road tyre and don't cost the earth.
I agree, had braided lines and better fluid in my old car and it made a fairly big difference compared to stock.

Yeah I've just watched a video on the turbod integra and he was running the ad08r's so if they're good enough for him then good enough for me!

Indi

Advanced Member
Another tyre to consider that's really good is Bridgestone Potenza RE070 - gives brilliant grip level and steering feedback and is cheaper than AD08R.

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
Regarding stereo/navigation, I installed this in mine on Saturday afternoon, so far it's been extremely responsive, I have Spotify and Navigation running, and my Mrs was still able to use it without lagging out as we drove. Even got Netflix installed via sideloading although I obviously wouldn't use that when driving.

Note this is the 2GB DDR3 with an Intel Atom, not a generic Arm one with 1GB which can be got cheaper.

It's come on Android 5.1 as standard, but there is an update to 6.0 for free - I haven't installed it yet.

Overall, I'm really loving it, the only thing I did installed that wasn't on my list at first was an app called 'Darker' that allows you to reduce the brightness further than the settings allows for nighttime driving.

Edit: oh yeah, it also doesn't do what the older ones did where it boots fully every time the car starts, it has an internal capacitor with (I believe) enough life for three days that allows it to come on and resume instantly as soon as the ignition comes on.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-Double-2-Din-Android5-1-1-Lollipop-7-034-GPS-Car-Autoradio-Stereo-/272443196120

NathanW

Indi said:
Another tyre to consider that's really good is Bridgestone Potenza RE070 - gives brilliant grip level and steering feedback and is cheaper than AD08R.
I had Bridgestone potenzas on my old Ibiza cupra coming out the factory and they were shocking so I've steered clear of Potenzas since rightly or wrongly.

NathanW

WraithPriest said:
Regarding stereo/navigation, I installed this in mine on Saturday afternoon, so far it's been extremely responsive, I have Spotify and Navigation running, and my Mrs was still able to use it without lagging out as we drove. Even got Netflix installed via sideloading although I obviously wouldn't use that when driving.

Note this is the 2GB DDR3 with an Intel Atom, not a generic Arm one with 1GB which can be got cheaper.

It's come on Android 5.1 as standard, but there is an update to 6.0 for free - I haven't installed it yet.

Overall, I'm really loving it, the only thing I did installed that wasn't on my list at first was an app called 'Darker' that allows you to reduce the brightness further than the settings allows for nighttime driving.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-Double-2-Din-Android5-1-1-Lollipop-7-034-GPS-Car-Autoradio-Stereo-/272443196120
Not an expert on this whatsoever, as it's android will it connect with my iPhone? Might be a silly question but I've never installed aftermarket nav before?

The price looks attractive and if you're giving it a positive review then I'd be happy trying it. Was it an easy install?

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
NathanW said:
Not an expert on this whatsoever, as it's android will it connect with my iPhone? Might be a silly question but I've never installed aftermarket nav before?

The price looks attractive and if you're giving it a positive review then I'd be happy trying it. Was it an easy install?
You can definitely connect for calls and music over Bluetooth, and as long as your contract allows tethering you can share your iPhones data connection with it.

It took a couple hours to install, without any rushing involved, the lead that came with it connected straight to the Honda to Iso lead I had from my previous stereo (http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Integra-DC5-02-06-ISO-Adaptor-Lead-Wiring-Car-Radio-Harness-Connector-/360860292938)

I routed the GPS antenna behind the glove box and have it taped to the dash by the passenger windscreen pillar, and put the microphone cable across behind the drivers side of the dash and ran that up to the little air vent for the window.

I'll grab some pictures and videos later and make a thread about it in the ICE subfield.

NathanW

WraithPriest said:
You can definitely connect for calls and music over Bluetooth, and as long as your contract allows tethering you can share your iPhones data connection with it.

It took a couple hours to install, without any rushing involved, the lead that came with it connected straight to the Honda to Iso lead I had from my previous stereo (http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Integra-DC5-02-06-ISO-Adaptor-Lead-Wiring-Car-Radio-Harness-Connector-/360860292938)

I routed the GPS antenna behind the glove box and have it taped to the dash by the passenger windscreen pillar, and put the microphone cable across behind the drivers side of the dash and ran that up to the little air vent for the window.

I'll grab some pictures and videos later and make a thread about it in the ICE subfield.
Okay that's great. Not sure on the tethering though?

I'm no expert never fitted electrics in my life but might grab help from a friend for this.

The radio in currently is a double din original one so I'm assuming the cage and fascia is in place and can be used for the android?

NathanW

WraithPriest said:

Also is any sort of contract or data required for it like it is installing an iPad and using that for maps like I know many have done in my previous owners club?

I only ask as it seems very cheap for a nav system

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
NathanW said:
Also is any sort of contract or data required for it like it is installing an iPad and using that for maps like I know many have done in my previous owners club?
I only ask as it seems very cheap for a nav system
No contract required, you can either share your phones Internet like you would with an iPad, or you could (as some do) connect you your home WiFi and download your own choice of 'offline areas' for Google Maps.

I believe the preinstalled navigation software is called iGo and has the UK maps preinstalled, but I haven't tested it as I prefer Google Navigation or Waze (another free satnav app).

Having had a Google it seems you can connect and mirror iPhone screens on their other stereos so I should imagine it's possible on this.

It does indeed fit straight into the OEM double din housing, which is quite easy to remove, I used this guide: http://www.clubitr.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=62&highlight=headunit

Indi

Advanced Member
I had Bridgestone potenzas on my old Ibiza cupra coming out the factory and they were shocking so I've steered clear of Potenzas since rightly or wrongly.
Have a search in the tyre section it's highly regarded tyre on this forum for a DC5. You can't compare two different models of tyres... That's like saying Toyo T1R is shocking so the Toyo R888 will be crap too? LOL

NathanW

Indi said:
Have a search in the tyre section it's highly regarded tyre on this forum for a DC5. You can't compare two different models of tyres... That's like saying Toyo T1R is shocking so the Toyo R888 will be crap too? LOL
I know that haha, regardless of this I've always gone for different tyres to bridgestones anyway. I'll look more into it anyway and see what my options are

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Most likely RE040 or 050, which are both well over 10 year old technology and pretty poor compared to RE070.