New to the forum .. few questions!

laurennpenfoldd

Advanced Member
Hey everyone, just signed up and have a few questions!

Always been a fan of the DC5‘s, love the look of them and more recently I have been thinking about getting one.. though I'm not 100% sure yet!

I was going to get one a few months back but ended up getting a new shape Swift Sport - which I bought new back in November.

Don‘t get me wrong I love the Swift it‘s a great car but it‘s my third one now (yep, I‘ve really had three of them hahah!) and I‘m starting to feel like I just want something different!

Done quite a bit to the Swift, some of you may have seen it already as I have a set of red DC5 Recaro‘s in there!

Here‘s a couple of photos.. still more I would love to do but as above I just fancy something different... I think!?

I‘ll stop rambling on now but I do have a couple of questions...

Anything to look out for when buying? Any known problems or anything like that?

If I go ahead I'll be looking to get one with low mileage... I‘m a bit of a perfectionist and just want one which has been looked after and is really clean etc. Baring this in mind - what sort of price should I be looking to pay? (Will be looking for a standard untouched one as new as pos I think)

What sort of MPG can I expect?

..I think thats about it really!

Thanks in advance,
Lauren

DC5RS

DC5
Lots of questions but you can start here:

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24755-dc5-basic-buyers-guide/

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1236-dc5-faqs/

Low or high mileage doesn't matter IMO, if its well looked it will remain well looked.

MPG i get 30-35 with my driving.
A proper dc5 will be around 7-8K for a prefacelift and around 9-10K for a facelift one.
Problems i havent found any but look here:

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17217-things-that-you-love-and-hate-about-your-dc5/?hl=dislikes#entry169849

hope it helps and welcome

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Is this the one on Hydraulics/air bags at Japfest?
Very nice.

There are alot of things to watch out for.
Leak in the boot
RUST
Front lower engine mount
RUST
Whether its a A B or C pack, as it was have different goodies.
Make sure it hits vtec smoothly
No whine from the gearbox (my personal favourite as i didnt understand this.. big bill coming my way)
RUST
Check its been undersealed, this is really a must in the UK.

zubzub

Advanced Member
I have owned loads off cars and the dc5 is one off the best cars iv driven ek9 just beating it. Only thing I find is insurance is pricey. They are good on petrol as above I also get around 30-35 mpg

You should try get a member off the forum to take you a spin in one and let you see what there all about :)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Lots already said but I notice your swift is new. Only thing I'd say is Tegs are getting on now from anywhere between 7 to 12 years old. Have you owned something that's more than 3 years old? Depending on what you get you should expect to have to maybe pay out on a bit more maintenance than a new car.

Generally they are very reliable if looked after but like any car if you pick up an abused one it may cause more headaches. You only need to view my thread in the gallery as evidence for that :D

There are others on here though who have owned for 4 years plus and have never spent money on anything outside of consumables and servicing. Oh and mods of course :)

You look like you're into your stanced type cars. Be warned it's not to everyone's taste on here as being predominantly a track inspired car generally people aren't too fond of huge wheels with massive camber and bumpers scraping the floor. ;)

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
I remember seeing your swift at japfest as you were messing around with the ride height.

Welcome to the forum :)

laurennpenfoldd

Advanced Member
DC5RS said:
Lots of questions but you can start here:

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24755-dc5-basic-buyers-guide/

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1236-dc5-faqs/

Low or high mileage doesn't matter IMO, if its well looked it will remain well looked.

MPG i get 30-35 with my driving.
A proper dc5 will be around 7-8K for a prefacelift and around 9-10K for a facelift one.
Problems i havent found any but look here:

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17217-things-that-you-love-and-hate-about-your-dc5/?hl=dislikes#entry169849

hope it helps and welcome
Thanks a lot, I'll check the links out and do a bit of research! 30-35 isn't too bad I would be happy with that :) I would probably be looking to spend about 9-10k so by the sounds of it should get a nice one! Yeah these seem to go on forever so I agree mileage isn't really an issue but just my personal preference would be a low mileage one as I'd plan to keep it for a while! :)

Shortstuff said:
Is this the one on Hydraulics/air bags at Japfest?
Very nice.

There are alot of things to watch out for.
Leak in the boot
RUST
Front lower engine mount
RUST
Whether its a A B or C pack, as it was have different goodies.
Make sure it hits vtec smoothly
No whine from the gearbox (my personal favourite as i didnt understand this.. big bill coming my way)
RUST
Check its been undersealed, this is really a must in the UK.
Yeah that's the one! Thank you! Okay coolio, I will bare that all in mind!

zubzub said:
I have owned loads off cars and the dc5 is one off the best cars iv driven ek9 just beating it. Only thing I find is insurance is pricey. They are good on petrol as above I also get around 30-35 mpg

You should try get a member off the forum to take you a spin in one and let you see what there all about :)
A few people have said that to me! Seems to be a favourite from a few people that have owned them/own them! Talking of insurance, when I do quotes it shows as an Accord... would this quote still be valid (thats putting in a DC5 registration)? I will ring to confirm one evening during the week just so I don't end up buying one then get a nasty surprise when it comes to insure hahah!

Yeah that would be really cool! If anyone is local to me and wouldn't mind taking me out that would be great! I'm from Berkshire ... I could do a photoshoot on your car to say thanks! Haha!

davidpingu said:
Lots already said but I notice your swift is new. Only thing I'd say is Tegs are getting on now from anywhere between 7 to 12 years old. Have you owned something that's more than 3 years old? Depending on what you get you should expect to have to maybe pay out on a bit more maintenance than a new car.

Generally they are very reliable if looked after but like any car if you pick up an abused one it may cause more headaches. You only need to view my thread in the gallery as evidence for that :D

There are others on here though who have owned for 4 years plus and have never spent money on anything outside of consumables and servicing. Oh and mods of course :)

You look like you're into your stanced type cars. Be warned it's not to everyone's taste on here as being predominantly a track inspired car generally people aren't too fond of huge wheels with massive camber and bumpers scraping the floor. ;)
Yeah your right and to be honest that was something that has gone through my mind! Going from a faultless brand new car to an older one... but I reckon I'll love it so shouldn't be too much of an issue! Have always been a fan of them as well if I'm honest so the age doesn't bother me too much! Yeah I have owned a car that was more than three years old - my first car was an 07 reg Swift Sport which I bought in September 2011!

You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover sir! ;) I am into all sorts of cars to be honest! My first Swift was nothing like my current one mod wise, I had Evo 5 wheels in bronze, carbon bonnet, GReddy induction, BC coilovers etc etc so was much different in terms of styling ;) although honestly speaking I tend to do what I like the look of and I like to be different so if I do decide to get a DC5 I will definitely be doing something outside the box... you all might hate but hey, I do my car to please me, not others... so it's all good! But I respect peoples opinions and appreciate that everybody is entitled to their own :)

CaLi said:
I remember seeing your swift at japfest as you were messing around with the ride height.

Welcome to the forum :)
Thank you :)

zubzub

Advanced Member
For some reason not all reg numbers come up as a dc5. Mines comes up as a civic type r. Must be a administration error with the dvla.
You can manually select honda integra dc5 type r on most insurance company's websites but if I were you I would try sky insurance first as they seem to give good competitive quotes. Just make sure it's a dc5 and not a dc2!

I would take you a spin no probs, buy I'm in Edinburgh haha bit far away.

You a photographer?

laurennpenfoldd

Advanced Member
zubzub said:
For some reason not all reg numbers come up as a dc5. Mines comes up as a civic type r. Must be a administration error with the dvla.
You can manually select honda integra dc5 type r on most insurance company's websites but if I were you I would try sky insurance first as they seem to give good competitive quotes. Just make sure it's a dc5 and not a dc2!

I would take you a spin no probs, buy I'm in Edinburgh haha bit far away.

You a photographer?
Ah right I see, makes sense now! Will check tomorrow and do some more quotes... although I went out to a Reading Jap meet earlier this evening and after seeing a few photos from the meet I'm not sure if I could ever sell mine! I really don't know what to do! Hard choices, maybe I should save up and have both lol!

Ohhh nightmare, quite a treck! Yeahh I run Creative Stance .. attend quite a few Honda meets as my boyfriend has a Civic Jordan so will be going Mimms etc ..check out the Facebook page thats where I put all my photos :) Went to the 6two1 Impact meet a week or so ago which was good, got a few photos which are up if you'd like to check them out! :) www.facebook.com/creativestance.automotive

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
what colour will you be looking for, ? i know of one that is VERY VERY nice that will be for sale soon ish. i hope you arnt thinking of selling before coming with me to Rotterdam ;) i'll send you a message on FB.

laurennpenfoldd

Advanced Member
Hahah that must be you! One of my favourite pictures ;)

I think I'm gonna be looking for red to be honest! Had black and white cars so fancy a colour this time and it seems that red is pretty rare on these? Correct me if I'm wrong I'm still in my research stage haha!

No no should make it to Rotterdam, really excited for that show it should be great! If I'm honest if I do sell up it wont be going up for sale until Sept+ time and probably not looking to buy a DC5 until the end of the year around November time... just because I wanna enjoy the Swift a bit longer and go to a few more shows with it before putting it back to standard!

Okie dokes nice one!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Hey Lauren, saw your Swift at Japfest too, very nice, was quite impressed in general by the group of Swifts on display, didnt realise they had such a following.

I dont mind taking you for a spin if you're ever in the gloucestershire area, but mine is Kpro tuned, with Mugen kit and lowering etc etc.. so would'nt feel like a standard DC5, but would give you an idea and show you the potential with just bolt ons and mapping.

Looking for a Red one? Good luck with that, pretty rare from what i know :)

laurennpenfoldd

Advanced Member
blueguy said:
Welcome Lauren its Justin from the Rotterdam group, good to see you on here :)
Ah wicked, I look forward to seeing yours in person it is stunning! :)

maxvr6 said:
Hey Lauren, saw your Swift at Japfest too, very nice, was quite impressed in general by the group of Swifts on display, didnt realise they had such a following.

I dont mind taking you for a spin if you're ever in the gloucestershire area, but mine is Kpro tuned, with Mugen kit and lowering etc etc.. so would'nt feel like a standard DC5, but would give you an idea and show you the potential with just bolt ons and mapping.

Looking for a Red one? Good luck with that, pretty rare from what i know :)
Thanks a lot!

That would be sweet, although Gloucestershire is quite far from me but I really appreciate the offer! Yeah definitely, I have only ever seen a selection in person at shows so going out in one would be great!

Haha tell me about it, had a quick browse even on some Jap auction sites and not one red one so far! Looks like I have my work cut out haha! Although I'm not going to be in any rush so hopefully that'll be on my side if it is red I decide I wanna go for!!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Hello and welcome, I am sure I remember seeing that at Japfest! Love it :D

C&S Evo7 said:
what colour will you be looking for, ? i know of one that is VERY VERY nice that will be for sale soon ish. i hope you arnt thinking of selling before coming with me to Rotterdam ;) i'll send you a message on FB.
Wonder who...

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
ello and welcome :)

bracknell eh.. only up the road from me (ascot way).. and nice and close to TGM (probably the best honda garage in the south)

laurennpenfoldd

Advanced Member
Thanks guys, ah sweet! There seems to be quite a few people from down this sort of way which is good! Will have to meet up at some point once I've got one. 100% decided on getting one but it won't be until the end of the year.. just trying to source insurance (for a rough idea on price ready for when the time comes) which is proving difficult at the moment due to my age. I will keep looking though, only tried a couple of places so far!

Yeah heard about TGM, handy that they are so close!