New to the forum!

Lauren.

Hi guys, my name is Lauren and I've just signed up so thought I would say hello!

I am 18 and currently drive a Suzuki Swift Sport - which is my first car.

I've only owned the car since October 2011 but I am seriously considering buying a Type R DC5 at the end of the year.

They are one of my favourite cars and with a little saving I could have one bought by October-ish this year!

..so, I've just joined up to get to know the car a little better and gather opinions on them by you guys that own them! :xgrin:

One question I would like to know is MPG! I do quite a lot of miles (well, average 1000 a month) so just wondering what it would be like to run one!?

I'll post up some pictures of my Swift a little later for you guys to see, I bought it completely standard and have done quite a lot to it in the just about 5 months I've owned it :xgrin:

Many thanks, Lauren

Lauren.

That's pretty good! My Swift is doing 38 MPG so shouldn't be a huge shock when it comes to filling up!

As for insurance, I thought that, but surprisingly it is cheap!!! I did it with a years NCB (as my insurance is up for renewal in October - which is when I'm hoping to get one) and by which time I will be 19. Did a quote using a number plate off a Type R I found on Ebay, even put it as a Jap Import and I couldn't believe the price.

I am currently paying over £2,000 to insure my Swift :( ..so anything under that will be a bonus!

larz

Advanced Member
I suggest staying well away from VTEC for a while when you're getting used to the car. It's a serious machine and needs to be respected. Never hit VTEC changeover in corners in 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th... get good tyres, they will save your life. It's easy to go wild when you jump from <100bhp to 220bhp overnight.

People will all want to race you, don't let your friends drive it, be nice to the cops and park far away from other cars to protect your paint :)

Other than that you'll be fine! hahaha... Welcome to the club!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
2k on insurance...... blimey, lol....Must admit I went from a Zetec-S Fiesta to the DC5 and I used to pay £1600 on the Fiesta!

As larz said though, DC5 is quite a jump if you are not used to it, I used to think my Fiesta was quick... lol.

Lauren.

Haha thanks for the advice guys! To be honest I don't drive like an idiot, going to sound so stupid but I prefer to just drive at normal, acceptable speeds as such, than fast.. I am definitely more for looks than speed so won't drive like a loony in it! I bet I get slated for saying that! :oops:

Thanks again though!

Things like tyres etc, how much are you looking at for a good full set?

Tax, how much is that a year?

..anymore info would be great as I'm new to the DC5 scene!! :xgrin:

Many thanks!

Lauren.

This was the Swift when I just got it home!

..and this is how it stands now!

..and I just had this made/fitted on Saturday!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Welcome! Very nice swift. Always had a soft spot for these. Not for myself of course!! Tax depends on import specifications. Some people pay £205-year, I pay £260/year but some unfortunate people are paying £400+/year so be aware! As said before these cars require the upmost respect as do any cars putting out over 200BHP through the front wheels. They can bite back! TBH if you drive reasonably with a few B-Road blasts you will be fine. Lots of info on this site. Use the search bar first though before posting up any questions. Oh and good luck!

Lauren.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help! Glad you all like the Swift too! :xgrin: ...it's all my money seems to be going on!!

Ah right I see.. £400 odd a year on Tax is crazy! I will keep my eye on this before I buy! Yeah I can imagine they are very quick cars, maybe if one of you guys are local - you could take me out in one! I am quite into my Photography, actually run a small site called 'Creative Stance' and focus on automotive photography as thats what I enjoy the most. Going to be attending Japfest etc this year so would be cool to see some of you guys there and get some snaps! Would like to Photoshoot a DC5 as well so if anybody is up for a shoot and is local to either Berkshire area or Bedfordshire area then let me know! More info/pics etc up on the Facebook page so if anybody is interested check it out, like it...and we'll see what we can do :)

www.facebook.com/pages/Creative-Stance/290744970993128?v=wall

Anyway, back to the thread, thanks again!

Bonito

Advanced Member
Welcome! If you can get insured, go for it. However as the chaps have already said, they can bite so please be careful. Don't worry about the jump in power too much. I know a girl that went from a punto to a DC5. :D

Where I've found the DC5 can bite or catch you unaware is when you drift onto a white line for some reason it just stays there. Even the smallest of puddles will try pull it in as if there's a Loch Ness living in them. Putting the foot down too hard coming out of a slow turn in low gears and you hit VTEC. You do have to have your witts about you to take these on spirited runs.

Never think just because you run a road 2 - 3 times a day that some day there wont be something on the road that'll catch you out in the DC5.

Never use VTEC when the engine/box is cold.

Be prepared for the girls on the side of the road getting a shock when they pucker up thinking there's some fit young lad driving his DC5 through the town and see a girl in it! :D

MPG can be very good depending on mods. On long runs I know standard ones getting 600 - 650 km (380 miles) to a full tank. Whereas mine with it's 1st remap was getting 500 - 550 km to a full tank and now with my latest remap it's getting 420km. :D

On a side note, I love what you've done with the swift and would be interesting to see what you can do when you get your hands on a DC5!

dave c

400hp K20
Hi and welcome, that is the best looking swift i've seen :shock: 8)

I can't quite believe you think the insurance will be affordable but if it is...it is :) I paid over 2K at 21when I bought mine, or was I 22 :huh: either way i spent a fortune on insurance but it was totally worth it, awesome cars!

Anyhoo, I'm "quite" local and there are a few members near me, we could set up a meet for a photoshoot and you could come check out the cars then, passenger ride etc or actually, there is a meet at south mimms soon that will be heaving with nice honda's. Plenty of things to take pictures of, might be worth checking out

Dave

Lauren.

Thank you :) Haha yeah I do get a lot of people looking when they hear the Swift driving along, then they see me in it like whaaat the hell?! Lol! I only look about 10 :rolleyes: :lol:

Thanks Dave, yeah.. well I did a quote for a Type R yesterday and it came in at £745 which I couldn't believe... maybe I did something wrong <_< I'll triple check with different reg's later and see what I'm averaging. That was fully comp as well!!

Yeah that would be great, if you guys would like to set up a Photoshoot I'd be happy to come take some pics!

Also, I should be attending the South Mimms Honda Meet with the camera, so see some of you guys there!

Thanks a lot for that ^, sat and read it all last night!! :xgrin:

Stoo

Whining.....
Who are you doing the quotes with, as there aren't may places that do online quatations for DC5s.

£745 is way cheap for your age and sounds like the details aren't correct...

Lauren.

Who are you doing the quotes with, as there aren't may places that do online quatations for DC5s.

£745 is way cheap for your age and sounds like the details aren't correct...
That was with Go Compare so a few companies came up... I average quotes for a Toyota Supra at around £1300 which is real cheap as well.. maybe I have a good post code? As area can determine prices too can't it? ...well, make it higher/lower atleast!

..strange!

kingston

Advanced Member
Id have said theyve got the wrong type r or the wrong car as it wont be that cheap im afraid. Either that or you live on one of the small islands?

Also too many new members with same username lol

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Hi Lauren and welcome...very 1st thing to do before considering a `5...double check your insurance quote,it could be waaayy off the mark...Make sure its the DC5 not a DC2 you`re being quoted for.. the`5 is a 2ltr as against the `2 which is 1.8 ltr..the DC5 started production in 2001 and is import only.....you`re probably best to get a quote from one of the usual insurance companies on here to get a better idea how much it will cost...try A-plan..Sky or Adrian Flux and then shop around if you need to..cracking Swift you have there xthumbup