New window regulators cost HOW much!?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Be careful with your windows! If your car has stood for more than a week in the cold/cold garage, don't even THINK about using your windows for a day or 2 after running the car again.

I've just had to pay £233 for the privilege of being able to open and close my drivers side window after the regulator seized up (whilst the car was in getting repaired and bits resprayed) and then the regulator snapped when I tried to open the window :(

£197 for the part (that includes the 10% forum discount)
£36 labour (I removed the doorcard myself to save a little money)

At least I get to hear the car now, forgot how nice it sounded from the outside, but I don't want to be paying for another regulator in a hurry, if the passenger side one goes... Tough shit.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Hmmm, never seen this issue before, might have to take the door cards off this weekend and make sure everything is lubed up well.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Mine was stood for ages, went down fine. lol Think its just bad luck to be honest mate, could snap going over a bump if that was the case. Glad you got it sorted ok though mate. :) Shame this close to Christmas :xaiweb6:

As Max said, just check its all lubed and greased ok, the least resistance the better.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I had an issue only a few months after buying the car where the arm detached itself from the glass, the glass then came out of the window at a bizarre angle which seemed really worrying at first. It turned out one of the bolts holding the arm to the window worked itself loose and was sitting in the bottom of the door, but I didn't think to make sure everything was well greased. I've since heard of this bolt issue happening to a couple of people.

I think its worth taking the door cards off to check for these loose bolts just as a precautionary maintenance measure and grease everything while you're there. Just don't tighten the bolts too much or you could crack the glass!

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
It's definitely a common issue, just not a regular one if that makes sense?

Yea, so close to Christmas AND my 100,00 mile service (plus a new O2 sensor).

I'm officially skint going into 2014. FML.

dave7368

Advanced Member
how is not using the window for 2 days after you start using the car again going to help?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
The only very vague reasoning I have behind that is at least the inside of the car will probably be a little warmer than when it was sat completely unused for 2 weeks in a freezing cold garage and the heat hopefully will have loosed up a lot of the lube (if any) still left in all the window mechanism.

By all means don't take my advice I'm just going from my own experience since my drivers side broke the day I got it back, I left my passenger side for 2 days before building up the balls to try it and it worked fine.

Coincidence? Probably, but no harm in giving some free and harmless advice.

dave7368

Advanced Member
no need to get so defensive, I just don't see the relevance of using the car for 2 days before operating the window so the regulator won't break..
probably just coincidence yes, mine was out yesterday after 6 weeks parked in the garage and nothing broke..
...both windows working fine :xgrin:

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
no need to get so defensive, I just don't see the relevance of using the car for 2 days before operating the window so the regulator won't break..
probably just coincidence yes, mine was out yesterday after 6 weeks parked in the garage and nothing broke..
...both windows working fine :xgrin:
Same here hasn't moved since october put battery on charge for 3 days started up rev's had a funny 5 mins on tick over went for a drive everthing ok :xaiweb5: