New Yrs Resolutions: spend more on petrol,tax, tyres, wax, gum shields

Teggs

Hi Folks,

Thought I'd drop by this topic for my 1st post and say na' then.

First a bit of housekeeping / brown nosing - Thanks to the Owners and mods of this forum for providing a great resource and to all (hopefully) helpful members. Keep up the good work guys! :xcheers:

Picked my japanese mistress on Saturday and so far absolutely loving it. Previously owned cars were as follows;

Mk1 VW Polo 1.0 Formel E - Drove twice, 2nd time was to the scrappeth, ha ha still loved that car!!
Pug 306 1.4 XN - A considerable improvement, esp. in the handling department
Honda Civic 1.5Lsi - An absolute gem, and surpisingly flighty for a SOHC
Honda Integra DC2, Champ White, from 80K-130K miles #00071 - Bloody Awesome
BMW 316 Ti Compact - Bag of Spanners.

and now have seen sense again and back in a Honda.

2001 Champ White DC5, 41K miles, fresh import from Japan by DCY, pretty much immaculate apart from damaged sticker on flank (heat damage?) and slightly flaky cam cover.

1st Impressions;

I love the body shape and cabin of the 5, IMO the biggger wheels and more aggressive styling still look relatively fresh 14 years later, whereas I never was a fan of the DC2 styling. I initially was looking for a 'C-pack' but glad I've ended up with the earlier model, the styling cues from the DC2 are a nice nod to it's heritage.

Performance wise I'm maybe not best placed to make a comparison between this and the previous incarnation as the '2' had condsiderably more miles on it than this car and I understand that this can affect BHP but I'll have a stab. The car seems a lot quicker and this might be a torque issue, the old car was like walking a boxer, this car feels more like a staffy. Still undecided on the engine note, seems a bit more growly and and the same time a bit more tinny/mechanical if that makes any sense :xhuh: Miss the agressive VTEC changeover from the last car but this one does feel a bit more solid and hopefully should rust better :xaiweb6:

The brakes are bloody brilliant though, and obviously and important part of going fast, I did have AP dixel discs and pads on the old car, but they cant hold a candle to the Brembos.

This is the big one though, and I hope it's just a case of getting to know the car, but IMO the steering feel compared to the DC2 is a big disapointment, and this is also a key to fast driving, in the DC2 they pretty much nailed this on, I'm unsure why there appears to be such a big discrepancy, but then I'm still a :xnewbie:, so it might be a bit of a premature judgement. The car is running Bridgestone Potenza R-010 R's which at this time of year seem to be pretty much useless, so I'm heading over to the tyres topic next for some sage advice.

But overall very happy and very over-protective, lots of curtain twitching going on at the moment when the smallest noise is heard outside :xgrin:.

Teggs.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Welcome along! Nice short review there.

There is a lot of information on this forum about the 5. Just use the search button and away you go!

For tyres though in my personal opinion I would opt for the Yokohama AD08r's. I have them and think that even in the wet they perform really well.

Put some pictures up too! Use a host like photobucket.

Anyway, enjoy the new ride. 😊

Adam

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Welcome to the forum chap!

Glad to hear your already enjoying your prude and joy, and yes, I think as far as a drivers car for feeling, the dc2 does have the edge, but the 5 is relatively better in many other areas..... As for tyres, I too next year are looking to get some new rubber along with wheels and I always keep hearing about potenza re070's ... Camskill seem to be the cheapest but only downside, they come in one size from what I can make out... Hope this helps

Craig aka Reggie

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Welcome :)

Came from a DC2 a very long time ago my self and new to my lovely DC5. I too miss the change over but I believe you can get some of the noise back with a few mods.
Handling I prefer seems more predictable but it was a long time ago. Much easier to live with on a daily basis though and yeah the interior is so much better. On the handling thing I am running F1`s and they are brilliant wet and dry.

I would say where are the pics! but, had mine nearly a month and still not got any up my self. I clean it then get all excited go out for a drive and its dirty again damn the winter.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Those tyres are the original Jap (rap jobbies...get some decent rubber on there and you`ll be quite amazed at the difference..enjoy yer Teg mate xthumbup

Teggs

A proper trip out in to gods own county this weekend hopefully, pics to follow!... If I don't stack it on the way there :xgrin:

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Also regarding the steering. Get a fast road setup (Frsu) done. Improves the handling so much more.

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teggs

Well a proper drive last weekend, up to Helmsley, on to stokesley, then Guisborough, over towards Whitby and back via Pickering, after finally getting past the wet/muddy roads, fornicatein' gritters and horse riders and the NYPD donut patrol I got a bit of a chance to open her up, it was starting to get dark and a touch of fog, but wow, glad I invested in this stress ball. Car was fully excrementted up so decided to protect her modesty and not go for a full spread, seems like it's gonna be the same this weekend, tyres not quite as bad as initially thought, but still driving round corners like a pinch of snuff! (Apologies to guardian readers!:))

Teggs.