Newbie in Reading

Topter

Hi all,

Had my DC5 for a couple of months now and still look forward to driving it everyday.

Bought privately and was sold the moment I saw it. It's in excellent nick, 66k on the clock, Champ White, completely standard.

Have had a couple of problems, one very strange where what I can only assume was the OEM alarm went off and I couldn't stop it, not that it was deafeningly loud, more of a weird siren noise. When I set the aftermarket alarm off the siren would stop but as soon as I turned the main alarm off the siren would come back! Siren lasted for about 2-3 hours before dying off (not a good look when showing peeps your new DC5!), but it would come back every now and then (once or twice a day), often after having been parked up for an hour or so! Would guess maybe was a proximity alarm or something while people would get close up to the car to take a look, but then why wouldn't switch off!Thankfully it stopped after a couple of weeks or so.

Had an issue with the fan not switching off once aswell but it eventually drained the battery and after a recharge it hasn't done it since. "Switch it off then on again" approach!

Also have an issue with the near-side headlight not coming on initially but after a couple of attempts it would spring back into life. After reading through the amazing forums on the site have figured it to be the igniter cable for the HID. Waiting for delivery of replacement as I speak from integrastella on ebay.

Currently debating whether to spend a load of money on a full service. I live fairly near Eurospec, who do engine mappings for Jap Imports but they also do Services for them. The website has Integra listed and 40k service for £300 but for 60K it's £800. Not 100% sure whether they're refering to a DC5 though, the guy I bought the car from serviced it himself and said the DC5's don't have cam belts (have a chain instead???), and the £800 includes a cam belt change. Can someone clear this up for me? Would you recommend getting a major service done to the car even though nothing much at present seems wrong?

OK, think I should have spread this into multiple threads!

Anyway, hello to everyone! =)

d2007ave

Advanced Member
Welcome to the forum Topter, glad you are finding it a wealth of info as i have done too!

Im not the best with car problems, and im sure you'll get good advice, wait for some more posts.

Would say the following though

Alarm. Get yourself down to John Kleiss in Whitley - well respected in the area

HID, hope your ignitor cable solves your problem, HID, ballasts, ignitors and cables commonly go eventually, ive had to buy a new ballast recently, £120 or therabouts

Timing: its most definately a Chain

Servicing - you dont want to be spending £800 -- some other guys and galls will give you some useful info. TGM in Hampshire is quite close and have a great reputation.

Reading? Its a small world -- I live there too! where roughly are you?

al

Topter

Hi Dave, cheers for the reply. I know John Kleiss well, always had my ICE fitted there, always a quality job. Been tempted to strip the whole alarm system out and go for a Clifford over the Gemini one in there now, but all in good time, unless the random siren returns!

I'm in Woodley, you? Seen a couple of ITR's around since I bought mine, one literally two minutes round the corner. Ain't that always the case when you buy a relatively rare car! Don't see many heavily modded cars around here though. We should start a trend!

Will check out TGM for sure. May just give them a call to discuss servicing requirements. Completing my first basic service this weekend myself, fluid change/filters etc, and hopefully sort the lights if the cable gets here, should bring it up to MOT standard and then can think about additional work.

dotty

Advanced Member
Welcome. I'm down in Old Basing - check out Tgm - head down the A33 and through Hartley Witney and you're just about there.

d2007ave

Advanced Member
Hi Topter, I'm in the town, sort of Whitley / Earley border,
Don't get out your neck of the woods too often but
I'll look out for you on the road!