***Newbie looking for help - urgently please***

Judley

Advanced Member
Hello all. I have just agreed in principle to buy a Championship White DC5 and have a few questions if the experts on here can help. I am going to get the car on Friday so could do with some quick feedback if possible :)

The car is supposed to run a Mugen ECU so I tried to find it to check when I looked at the car. I assume the ECU is on the passenger side under the carpet rather than behind the glove compartment? If so, how easy is it to get to as I was conscious that I fely like I needed to loosen a plastic screw to get anywhere near it?

The car also has an airbag on the passenger side. I have a little boy who likes to sit shotgun but I want to know if the front passenger airbag can be switched off?

What are the normal service intervals for the DC5 please?

It is running a JDM head unit which of course can't receive UK radio, would an expander cure this?

Thanks in advance :green:

George

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
the only one i can help you with is the radio one - yes. a band expander will HELP the radio problem, but as far as i know, it's not a 100% cure.

Stonehead21

Advanced Member
1: The Ecu yes is under the carpet on the passenger side there should be 2 screws holding it on under the glove box quite simple to remove and refit tho. :)

2: No the airbag on passenger side cannot be switched off.

3: Service intervals as per most other cars 12k or yearly dependant on which first but you will find most change oil and filter every 6k/6 months its entirely dependant on the individual - just keep an eye n your oil levels and you will be fine.

4: Yes a radio band expander will help but iunsure if it will pick up all the engish stations and all honesty it will still be bobbins best to get yourself and aftermarket unit

rodney

Advanced Member
Airbag wise, as said not an official 'off' button but as in other cars some folk disconnect the bag via other means..

Radio wise, I had a jap stereo and yes reception is a little ropey but I could always get radio1...I paid £150 for a clarion which I'm really pleased with, has iPod connection etc so not a huge ball ache to upgrade.

mikegsi

Staff member
You can disable the full srs system, that will illuminate the 'srs' light on the dash to show that it's inactive. There is also a way to turn it back on in under 5 minutes without an expensive trip to the dealership.

Change the headunit, it'll never be right even with a band expander, you can pick up single din mp3 ones for around £60 from halfords nowadays, cut a piece of plastic or black card to size to blank the rest of the hole if you don't fancy buying a proper adaptor

Judley

Advanced Member
Stonehead21 said:
1: The Ecu yes is under the carpet on the passenger side there should be 2 screws holding it on under the glove box quite simple to remove and refit tho. :)

2: No the airbag on passenger side cannot be switched off.

3: Service intervals as per most other cars 12k or yearly dependant on which first but you will find most change oil and filter every 6k/6 months its entirely dependant on the individual - just keep an eye n your oil levels and you will be fine.

4: Yes a radio band expander will help but iunsure if it will pick up all the engish stations and all honesty it will still be bobbins best to get yourself and aftermarket unit
Cheers guys, much appreciated. So can I just confirm that the ECU is actually under the carpet directly beneath the glovebox?

Thanks again.

George

mikegsi

Staff member
I did a 'how to' on it a while ago mate, with pics and everything!! :D

Basically a case of bridging 2 points in the internal fusebox (I have an oem Honda tool for this, but solder wire/paper clip will do) then turning the ignition on and off to a sequence. I found the info after inadvertently upsetting my srs system fitting a push button.

I'll find the link when I can get on my pc tomorrow

Judley

Advanced Member
Thanks for the help guys :xcheers: I got the wee beastie on Friday and had a real fun weekend blatting about North Yorkshire! Going to Unit 8 on Thursday to have a few tweeks made :twisted: