Newbie on the hunt for a DC5

donzooo

Advanced Member
My name's Donald, I'm 24 and as of next month I will be hunting for my dream car, a CW DC5!

I currently drive a Honda Civic Sport which has done me no wrong in 18 months of ownership but with a promotion and a hefty wage rise I figure it's time to treat myself to something I've always wanted.

Hoping to join the gang soon with an absolute minter and enjoy many years of motoring with one of these beautiful cars.

Nice to meet you all, impressed by the cars, knowledge and guides on this forum. An invaluable resource!

Donald

wj51fut

Advanced Member
As said above welcome!

Always loads of useful information on this forum. Just be sure to use the search button first. No doubt whatever your after has already been covered!

Post some pics up when you get it.

Adam

donzooo

Advanced Member
So aside from the usuals (this forum, autotrader, pistonheads) where do you guys recommend to look for a DC5?

In your personal experiences and opinions is it worth going to an importers? Or even buying from Ireland?

donzooo

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
JM imports or this forum would be the only options for me personally.
Have contacted JM imports, seem like a really good service actually and may end up sourcing my DC5 with them. Good shout.

ste01

Advanced Member
Contact a few of the importers. See what they offer, who is most helpful etc and then make a decision who to go with, or you might end up deciding against importing.

If you do import, who ever you go with don't expect a brand new car. It will more than likely need a proper service and maybe tyres too. Think that's why people sometimes end up getting annoyed at importers as they think they can buy an old ish car and it will be perfect with no worn parts or won't need work doing to it. You might get a car that is perfect and needs nothing doing but budget for any extras that can turn up and it'll be fine :)

donzooo

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Contact a few of the importers. See what they offer, who is most helpful etc and then make a decision who to go with, or you might end up deciding against importing.

If you do import, who ever you go with don't expect a brand new car. It will more than likely need a proper service and maybe tyres too. Think that's why people sometimes end up getting annoyed at importers as they think they can buy an old ish car and it will be perfect with no worn parts or won't need work doing to it. You might get a car that is perfect and needs nothing doing but budget for any extras that can turn up and it'll be fine :)
Thanks :) have been in touch with JM and Torque GT. Still looking at second hand options as well but a fresh import sounds nice, car would be fully service etc they have a full list of items they do to the car once imported so it is ready to go once they are finished. My budget is around 9k so happy to wait for a decent one!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ste01 said:

You will not get any better advice than this so heed the warning.

As I've mentioned previously if I had the chance to do it again I'd buy one from a forum member off here as many come with tasteful, desirable mods such as the Gruppe M intake which costs nearly £500 - £600 new, many will have nice exhausts on them again you might find one with a Kakimoto Regu 60R on it already, K PRO ECU, RBC intake, aftermarket light weight wheels and so on. These are mods that you will only want to go and do a yourself a few months down the line and you're easily at looking at spending 2 if not 3k potentially on mods there alone.

I wish I'd done this as I have a pretty much bog standard car now with no money to spend on mine and I get jealous when I see others' cars with all their nice mods so I'd bare that in mind. You might be on better money than me so I can't comment on your own personal circumstances of course.

Hope that helps!

donzooo

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
You will not get any better advice than this so heed the warning.

As I've mentioned previously if I had the chance to do it again I'd buy one from a forum member off here as many come with tasteful, desirable mods such as the Gruppe M intake which costs nearly £500 - £600 new, many will have nice exhausts on them again you might find one with a Kakimoto Regu 60R on it already, K PRO ECU, RBC intake, aftermarket light weight wheels and so on. These are mods that you will only want to go and do a yourself a few months down the line and you're easily at looking at spending 2 if not 3k potentially on mods there alone.

I wish I'd done this as I have a pretty much bog standard car now with no money to spend on mine and I get jealous when I see others' cars with all their nice mods so I'd bare that in mind. You might be on better money than me so I can't comment on your own personal circumstances of course.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for help. I want the car as standard at least cosmetically as possible. I have a very specific list of tasteful mods I plan to do maybe a year or two down the line but I want to enjoy it for what it is and keep it clean and well maintained, get it absolutely perfect first.

Have a few possibles already, but will take a while to find the perfect one I am sure.

ste01

Advanced Member
Sound good dude, that's what I went for with mine . Wasn't trying to put you off importing either, I imported mine and would do it again. I don't think it's anymore risky than buying a UK or forum car to be honest, I just think that people seem to accept finding small problems more on UK cars compared to imports as imports have the "showroom condition" myth tagged to them. Not all cars in Japan are pristine! It's just like here, some good, some bad....but without the rust or stone chips ;) haha

donzooo

Advanced Member
Just very hard to find a good example at the moment. If I can find one in the UK then great but happy to spend a bit more for a quality import. To be the first UK owner is something I have wanted to do as well!

Anyone know of a decent OEM looking prefacelift with low mileage let me know ;) Gotta be CW of course!

donzooo

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Have you got an importer looking for you yet?
There's a potential coming in within the next 10 days and another importer wants a deposit before they begin to look. My budget will be confirmed tomorrow when I get my wage slip in and visit bank.

ste01

Advanced Member
Yeah you'll have to pay deposit if you want them to look for a vehicle for you personally, otherwise you might say to bid on a specific car then never follow it through. Someone is less likely to back out if they've already paid some money.

So tomorrow you'll know your budget...then the annoying waiting starts until you finally get one haha

donzooo

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Yeah you'll have to pay deposit if you want them to look for a vehicle for you personally, otherwise you might say to bid on a specific car then never follow it through. Someone is less likely to back out if they've already paid some money.

So tomorrow you'll know your budget...then the annoying waiting starts until you finally get one haha
It sure does. Anxiously waiting. I'm hoping for around the 9k mark to secure a decent example :)

Yeh that was the general concencus from the importers. Seems like a great service though and excited about the whole process.

donzooo

Advanced Member
Quick update

Have placed my deposit with JM-Imports who will be sourcing my DC5 for me. Will detail my whole buying experience and progression with the car with a build thread soon :)