Next Step

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Hey guys and gals,

Im heading to TDI north in sept to finally get KPRO :D :D

But I was wondering what the next step to mod my car would be. By the end of the day I will have KPRO, RRC, Mugen manifold and exhaust.
I don't want to get a throttle body as I've heard there is very little gains and also may lose some of the drive ability?

Thanks

jonny

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Before anyone jumps in, I'll pre-empt you all - brakes handling/suspension.

If you're looking at more power gains then I guess you're looking at internals e.g. Cams, or perhaps you could change your FD, strip the car....

Need to know the rest of your mods mate and what you use your car for :)

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Cheers blue guy.
At the mo I have mugen adjustable suspension, mugen front and rear strut bars.
As for the brakes it is all standard oem stuff apart from the braided hoses.
I think il be looking at more power, well anything that'll make it quicker in straight line. I am using it everyday so it still has to be drivable.

Am I right if you get cams you will need to make all the engine enternals stronger? I don't know alot about cams, how do they work?

Thanks
Jonny

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
5.1 final drive will make it accelerate better but will lose a little top end ,although it sounds bad the actual max speed is not acheivable anyway, my dc5 did 182 on the dyno on the limiter in 6th gear , but on a huge run in germany never got close so in reality having a max speed limited to only 150 or so is not really a problem.

internals wise the oem stuff is fine as long as you dont go forced induction, cams are good and will give another 10-15hp but will require another remap

how much faster do you want it to be? it will be great after the kpro.

thomsojf

Advanced Member
I'm not sure how much faster I would want after I get kpro, I suppose il need to wait and see how quick it is after it's mapped. However I would want it to be as quick or quicker than some evo's or scoobys.

What is 5.1? That might be a noob question? I'm sure I've seen it on here before is it an LSD? What would be more advisable, gettin cams or 5.1. Pros/cons woul be a great help.

Thanks

Jonny

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Final drive is the last set of fixed gears before your axle. Think of it as the large gears on a bicycle by the pedals and your gear box as the rear set by the back wheel. If you change between these large gears you will find pedalling easier (accelerate quicker) or harder (accelerate slower but faster top speed).

It's a bit of a naff explanation, so anyone please jump in.

thomsojf

Advanced Member
That was a great explanation and so simple. Just one question tho. When you have final drive can you change between gd acceleration and top speed. Or is it just a case you map you car however you would like it.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Yep sorry, my bicycle explanation was just to explain the difference changing the final drive makes. you don't have multiple ones to change between.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
no, its a shaft in the gearbox (actually from a crv) once its there its there, BUT it makes a huge difference.

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Final drive actually sounds great. Is it an expensive thing to do? Would you have to get it mapped to make the most out of it?

Also It's quite a big thing to take the gearbox out is there anything else should prob do at the same time. Clutch, flywheel and maybe get some gear synchs down?

thomsojf said:
Hey guys and gals,

But I was wondering what the next step to mod my car would be. By the end of the day I will have KPRO, RRC, Mugen manifold and exhaust.
I don't want to get a throttle body as I've heard there is very little gains and also may lose some of the drive ability?

Thanks

jonny
What intake do you have? Standard

I'd do that as its pretty much the last thing you can do and you'll get over 250bhp @ TDI North

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Hey tegiwa I have a gruppe m, I am hoping to get round about 250bhp when I get mapped in sept or at least 240 bhp. But we will have to wait and see. Would love a j's racing induction kitthe look awesome.

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
I'd wait till after the kpro and mapping and see if you need more.

You're going to feel a massive difference to your car in Sept. Bet you cant wait?

Have you got a FRSU?

George K

Advanced Member
thomsojf said:
Hey guys and gals,

Thanks

jonny
Interested to see that you say RRC rather RBC - is that correct - will be very interested, as I have been talking to Paul about the practicality of going that route (needs modifying to work with the DC5 idle set-up). as it appears to have the top end of th RBC but much better mid range.

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Yeh that's correct it's an rrc.yeh I think il need to start a post with what I am going to add. But will be very interesting to seethe difference between rbc and rrc.

Not got the frsu done. Do you have any recommendations on what camber adjusters?

Jonny

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Only camber adjusters I can find it buddy club and d2. Are these any good?
Where are the eibachs on sale?

Thanks
Jonny

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Sorry mate, I can't comment on buddy club's or D2's as I haven't used them.

If you want Eibachs, give TGM a call. If you can't get through, pm them on here as I think their telephones are having a few issues at the moment.

acepty

Advanced Member
thomsojf said:
Final drive actually sounds great. Is it an expensive thing to do? Would you have to get it mapped to make the most out of it?

Also It's quite a big thing to take the gearbox out is there anything else should prob do at the same time. Clutch, flywheel and maybe get some gear synchs down?
you don't need to map the ecu for a Final Drive to work properly. Unless you want to readjust the AFR to level up the econo as the FD will make the car a bit more thirsty...

as you said so you have to take off gearbox and is and expensive job, so I would try to take advantage and change the clutch, fly, and any synchro's you might have worn, like 1st to 3rd gear ones wish are the most common...

HTH

MattDC5

Advanced Member
I'd wait and see how you find your teg once it's Kpro'd.

I was really happy once mine was at that stage ( kpro, FRS, induction etc) it sounded great and was very responsive. The only other mod I would have done subsequent was uprated brakes.

Jees I need to get back in a teg :cry: