NI > Mainland UK Private Reg/DVLA Predicament! HELP!

Stoo

Whining.....
Right, so I bought my DC5 this weekend from Northern Ireland.
I am in the mainland UK, in Engalnd.

The car was origionally imported from Japan and registered at the Preston branch of DVLA and assigned a UK Mainland Reg (PA03 YJV)

It was then sold to someone in Northampton by all accounts, and then on to Stephen, the guy I bought it off, who then took it over to Northern Ireland.

While in his ownership, he bought the Private Plate R111TEG for the car and had it transferred on to it.

On the NI V5 (DVA), the car has the reg R111TEG assigned to it.
The MOT and Tax disc also have the reg R111TEG, so i assume this is all above board and legitimate.

Now, my problem is, I have now bought the car, and have returned it to the mainland UK.
I now wish to transfer the car in to my name, on to a UK mainland V5 (DVLA)

However, the DVLA have checked on their system and that plate (R111TEG) is void on the mainland. They can't tell me why until the microfische returns from Swansea, but they say I may lose the plate and have to return to the originally issued Reg. mark. I don't want this to happen, and obviously don't want to have to re-buy it!

I got stopped by the police in Scotland on the drive home from Stranraer and it didn't register on the ANPR, however they were happy with the NI V5 with the Reg/VIN on it.

What can I do?
What is the process associated with doing this?
Surely this isn't the first time this has ever happened.

Can anybody shed any light on this?
Any help would be massively appreciated!

Stoo

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Very confusing but it sounds to me that the private reg is a NI plate on a "UK" car.
So the private plate is registered with the DVLNI and not the DVLA :?

Who was the private plate bought from? Do you have a copy of the receipt?

Stoo

Whining.....
VT-Doo said:
Very confusing but it sounds to me that the private reg is a NI plate on a "UK" car.
So the private plate is registered with the DVLNI and not the DVLA :?

Who was the private plate bought from? Do you have a copy of the receipt?
It's a UK plate.
Its been on a few DC2's over here.

I'll have a look thru the PW for the car, I'm sure there is some docs in there relating to the plate :S

VT-Doo

RushDoo
http://www.freecarcheck.org/search

Using the above site I checked both your plates and both my original and private plate.
The information is the same for my original plate (not on the car) and your private plate (currently on the car).

It would seem to me that even although the reg is on your car and you have the V5 and tax disc as proof, the DVLA have not updated their system.

EDIT: In fact, how can the car be issued a tax disc if the reg is not on their system? The reg is printed on the tax disc these days :?

If they try to take the plate from you I think there is a good fighting chance of keeping it...you have the V5C, tax disc, MOT (all of which go through the DVLA's system) with the reg printed on them.

Sorry I'm not any help, I'm just confused and interested in what the DVLA will do/say.

Stoo

Whining.....
Looking at that link, the R111 TEG plate doesnt come back as having any details

However, here are the results for the Original plate

Free Car Check Report for PA03YJV
Vehicle Identification
Manufacturer: Honda
Model: Not available
Year: 2003
Colour: Blue
Fuel Type: Petrol
Engine Size (CC): 1996
VIN: Not available
V5C Issued: Not available
Tax
Tax Status: Unlicensed
Expiry Date: 01/07/2008
Registration Date: 01/05/2003
6 Month Cost: £134.75
12 Month Cost: £245.00

The TAX, MOT, V5 are all NI items!

Stoo

Whining.....
The DVLA vehicle check service brings back nothing for R111 TEG

Says PA03YJV has an Export marker on it.

I'm very confused and don't have a clue what to do!

stephen1612

Advanced Member
This is a head melter... it may be worth speaking to the DVLA over here, below is the main head office, or even get the english DVLA to contact them directly to work it out:

Customer Services
DVA
County Hall
Castlerock Road
COLERAINE BT51 3HS
Tel: 0845 402 4000
Fax: 028 7034 1422
Email: dvlni@doeni.gov.uk

It's a UK plate, it doesn't matter if the car came from NI... as there's plenty of cars over in England with NI registrations.

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Spotted this when I was thinking of bringing a car from NI to England.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... DG_4022583
Vehicles moving between GB and Northern Ireland (NI)
Vehicles registered in NI that move to GB are no longer classed as being imported to GB. Also, vehicles registered in GB moving to NI are no longer classed as being imported to NI.
These vehicles can keep their GB or NI plates and tax disc, or they can request the registration plate to where they are going, GB or NI.
The vehicle registration certificate Northern Ireland (V5CNI) should be used to aid registration in GB and applications should be made at a DVLA local office. The vehicle registration certificate (V5C) should be used to help registration in NI. Applications should be made at The Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA), Coleraine.

Stoo

Whining.....
tron2k3 said:
Spotted this when I was thinking of bringing a car from NI to England.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... DG_4022583
Vehicles moving between GB and Northern Ireland (NI)
Vehicles registered in NI that move to GB are no longer classed as being imported to GB. Also, vehicles registered in GB moving to NI are no longer classed as being imported to NI.
These vehicles can keep their GB or NI plates and tax disc, or they can request the registration plate to where they are going, GB or NI.
The vehicle registration certificate Northern Ireland (V5CNI) should be used to aid registration in GB and applications should be made at a DVLA local office. The vehicle registration certificate (V5C) should be used to help registration in NI. Applications should be made at The Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA), Coleraine.
Cheers Tron, Yeah i've seen that too.
It seems to be clear cut there, but its more ambiguous than that in reality apparently.
I'll call the DVA tomorrow and see what i can come up with!

Stoo

Whining.....
I called DVA(NI) and DVLA(GB)today.

DVA(NI) said I'm send the V5C(NI), NI Tax disc and a V10 to swansea and I'll get a V5C(GB) back on the cars R111TEG plate along with a GB Tax disc.

DVLA swansea said just send the V5C(NI) with the new address/owner details filled in to them and they will return a V5C(GB) in my name and R111TEG still on.

Apparently the plate is 'void' on DVLA's system as it has been transferred to NI.

So, V5 in the post, fingers crossed this works!

Stoo