No clutch pedal

K Vee Gee

Advanced Member
Hi.

My clutch was working perfectly and then all of a sudden nothing. No pedal at all. So many once I got home I popped the bonnet to check if there was any fluid in the resovoir and it was below the minimum mark. I have tried bleeding the system to try and get the pedal back to normal, but this didn't work. Also checked the pipe to see if true problem was there, but no leaks can be seen.

What could be causing this problem? Is it the slave cylinder or the master cylinder or something else?

I have tried using the search option to find a answer, but can't really find what I'm looking for.

R

recarosoll

Sorry for being stupid here but have you checked the nuts and bolts of the actual foot pedal it's self. Are they all tight and attached? Crawl into your foot well and have a look up under the cowling

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Just check to see if the slave piston is moving first! If it isn't then there's a good chance your pushing against air if its sucked air in after going below min mark. You will need to undo the slave bleed nipple and blow through at least 1/2 a bottle of fresh fluid to be sure any air is out. It's also possible you have a leak as its not normal fluid going down in reservoir and if there's a leak it would also explain why piston doesn't disengage clutch.

Filkmeister

Sounds like a slave cylinder to me? What happened when you bled it? Did you do it yourself, or with assistance? What "colour" was fluid? If the seals are gone the fluid is discoloured (looks more like used engine oil i.e. black and gloopy!). What happens to the pedal when you depress it? Does it stay down or return to starting position? Often no sign of a leak till you squeeze the rubber gaiter/boot. Slave cylinder seals letting go is common fail on the B18/B16 clutch...

Just a thought - sure there is no damage/leaks from the bundy piping (unlikely admittedly)

Let us know what you find - horrible fail if you are away from home.

K Vee Gee

Advanced Member
recarosoll said:
Sorry for being stupid here but have you checked the nuts and bolts of the actual foot pedal it's self. Are they all tight and attached? Crawl into your foot well and have a look up under the cowling
It's 100% not that. Everything is perfect at the pedals.

Filkmeister said:
Sounds like a slave cylinder to me? What happened when you bled it? Did you do it yourself, or with assistance? What "colour" was fluid? If the seals are gone the fluid is discoloured (looks more like used engine oil i.e. black and gloopy!). What happens to the pedal when you depress it? Does it stay down or return to starting position? Often no sign of a leak till you squeeze the rubber gaiter/boot. Slave cylinder seals letting go is common fail on the B18/B16 clutch...

Just a thought - sure there is no damage/leaks from the bundy piping (unlikely admittedly)

Let us know what you find - horrible fail if you are away from home.
It bled as normal, but the fluid was black like you said. I did have help for bleeding it. When you depress the pedal it just stays on the floor. I have had a good look over the pipe and there doesn't appear to be a problem there.

So you think slave rather than master cylinder?

K Vee Gee

Advanced Member
I have just went and bought both the slave and master cylinders, so hopefully that will rectify the problem!

tico_87

Advanced Member
Had similar situation few months back ended up being the master cylinder that decided to go

Rom

Advanced Member
Clutches are a pain to bleed. Generally, just bleeding like brakes is not enough.
Pumping the pedal up (even if that mean manually moving it off the floor) say 10-20 times, holds it down, have someone crack the nipple, do it up, then repeat is usually a good start.

Filkmeister

It's one or t'other if fluid was discoloured, the black discolouration is the seal body breaking down once the sealing face has abraded and been smeared around by the piston. Most likely slave, but a good idea to address both.

It is a wearing part, so nothing to get concerned about and will be as good as new once you've sussed it.

Good luck, hope you are back on the road ASAP.

Cheers

K Vee Gee

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Clutches are a pain to bleed. Generally, just bleeding like brakes is not enough.
Pumping the pedal up (even if that mean manually moving it off the floor) say 10-20 times, holds it down, have someone crack the nipple, do it up, then repeat is usually a good start.
Yeah the clutch was a nightmare to bleed last year but it work perfectly eventually. Easily done it for half an hour yesterday just continued to squirt out gloopy black fluid. So new parts are need for sure.

EDWUMAST3R

Don't pump the peddle on a clutch all you're doing is making the air bubbles into more tiny ones you literally push the peddle to the floor once hold down then open bleed nipple I found that I had to almost open it till it came out when doing mine make sure you keep topping up the reservoir because of how small it is