No gears...!!!!

Stylesa

Advanced Member
The search function seems to be down so a post is required.

Tried to drive home from girlfrirend's place this morning before work, started the car, left it in first overnight, pulled away, went to select second and there was nothing. gear lever felt like it wasnt attached to anything. It was loose, and the travel has like quadrupled, it only moves back and forth but doesnt move side to side. making me think one of the r-clips has broken/fallen out.

Fortunately my girlfriend stays quite close to my flat so i managed to get home (but making a racket) in first. I didnt have time to try and diagnose the problem as i had to come to work.

Anyone experienced this before? gear linkages? cable snapped (hope not)?

I have a BuddyClub Short Shifter but i dont think it will be at fault.

At least i know what im doing tonight....... #-o

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Hopefully jusy as simple as the split pin snapped on the linkage to selector causing the connection to separate.
The pins on mine were mega rusty but i've since put new pins in.

One connection does forward/ back, the other does left/ right amd without either connected there is no resistance in the movement.

Just take the air filter off and have a look, easy enough if thats the problem.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Yeh thats what im hoping for too.

i think i should be able to get access to it without taking the induction kit (tegiwa M) off.

Got any pics of what it should look like?

If i undo the two cables on the selector i should be able to move it into a different gear. Its currently in first. do you know what direction i would have to move it to select second? towards the bulk head or side to side?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I can get a pic but won't be til 5pm. If it is the connector you can just push it back on and choose a gear

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Same thing happened to me a few months back..it was this...

Part of my B/C short shifter which had cracked..I was able to fix it by putting the OEM part (I`d kept the original shifter)in its place...HTH,David

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Cheers guys. got it fixed when i got home from work. :rolleyes:

Turns out that the Screw that secures the shifter lever to the forward/back selector had unscrewed itself. Easy fix!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
unfortunatly that seems to be a small issue with the bc shifters, it has happened to several users

Stoo

Whining.....
It has indeed.
In fact I modified one a fw years ago with better components to ensure its relaiability....

Stylesa

Advanced Member
It has indeed.
In fact I modified one a fw years ago with better components to ensure its relaiability....
i wish people would learn to spell correctly :roll: :xlol: :xlol:

Well when it happened i called Paul Hughes and explained the scenario, he said that as long as i sent it back and it was faulty, he would be happy to replace it. thankfully it didnt come to that. i inspected during the repair after the talk of faulty shifters and everything looked fine.