No more DC5's ??

JOM

Advanced Member
Just been looking on the Linney website and says that once the current stock has been sold no more will be available due to the ESVA.

Does anybody know what these changes are, how they effect us and if other companies will be stopping importing them?

James

DC5-loveR

Advanced Member
New rule change now has come into play as of 1st April.

From this day, any car first registered in country of origin after jan 1st 1997 must have a model report. This includes all model R34's, RX7's, supra's, DC5's etc..etc..

To obtain a model report at a government appointed test station, the car must pass certain standards for noise and emmisions. At present there is a model reports for the DC5.... but none for R34 skylines, RX7's and supra's ...So if you do not have a test booked for ESVA for any car in this group and confirmation in writing from Vosa, you will not be able to register the car at all after this date.
You would also require the Japanese original D-Reg to book the test.
This means some models will serious struggle to get the model report emmisions test by having specially adapted exhaust systems with for instance extra Cat converter etc.

While for the other cars that have had model reports developed, it will mean more expense to get the car to the same exact specification as the donor test vehicle. ESVA is more expensive test than SVA and some of the rules almost unworkable....

Should make all late cars prices rise! as demand will be more than cars available.

jonster

Advanced Member
My DC5 was the first to have the ESVA. I'd bought it new and it took six months before I had it in my hands. The ship broke down on route from Japan. It then got delivered to Ireland by mistake. It was then stuck at Liverpool docks at customs for a while. When it finally arrived it was just in time to get caught by the new ESVA rule. My brand new car went to several Ministry of Transport test sites before I finally got it. It had a good few miles on it by then. I think it cost £10k to get the ESVA done and the 50 page report produced. Warrender (who I bought from) went halves with some company in Southampton that rents out this report for importers as a business.

Jon

JOM

Advanced Member
Think I am correct in saying this.

Any import car newer than 1997 will require a ESVA so that it can be registered.

For it to be ESVA a model report must be present at the test station.

Currently a model report is available ( I think for the DC5 ) an importer has to pay about £300 to hire the report for the test.

The report is based on a standard car so no modifications are allowed.

Several cars including RX7's, Skylines, WRX's etc do not have model reports for them. This means that it will be impossible to register one of these types of cars until the model report is produced.

It can cost up to £20,000 for a model report and only 1 company seems to do them.

How many importers have unregistered modded cars in stock that they are not going to be able to sell?

Oh and I think once a car has been checked it can be recalled and checked again.

I am sure that somebody will say I am not right with all this information.

But it is something to think about.......

James

cfoster

Advanced Member
so after reading all of the above, i shouldn't have a problem getting a DC5 registered in this country?? (as there is a report available). Couldn't give a monkeys about any other cars, so long as DC5's are ok!! :lol:

Chris :)

JOM

Advanced Member
The rules have changes and what that means is that EVERY importer from Japan must have a certificate for EVERY model.

That means things like RX-7's, MR-2's, Skyline's etc will require lots of them cos of all the models available [R32/33/34/gtr/gts/gtt/gts-m etc you get my drift].

The ITR is just one model so they will flow almost as normal.

Once a certificate has been obtained anyone can use it to bring one in and then pay the cert holder a small fee.

Litchfield have already got one for the ITR, as have Warrender and J28.

cfoster

Advanced Member
cool! Good to hear that!! Still trying to sell my cossie.... Once shes gone ill be on the hunt for one!! Hopefully in red if i can get my hands on one!

Cheers

JOM

Advanced Member
Mine is red.....

and for sale.....

no worries about importing......

cfoster

Advanced Member
JOM said:
Mine is red.....

and for sale.....

no worries about importing......
true mate but ill be saving many ££££'s importing myself.... (or through my good friend!)

cfoster

Advanced Member
no im not an importer myself so wont have access. However my friend has access to these reports so not a problem. Even spending the extra money on the report its still a good saving...

DC5-loveR

Advanced Member
jonster said:
My DC5 was the first to have the ESVA. I'd bought it new and it took six months before I had it in my hands. The ship broke down on route from Japan. It then got delivered to Ireland by mistake. It was then stuck at Liverpool docks at customs for a while. When it finally arrived it was just in time to get caught by the new ESVA rule. My brand new car went to several Ministry of Transport test sites before I finally got it. It had a good few miles on it by then. I think it cost £10k to get the ESVA done and the 50 page report produced. Warrender (who I bought from) went halves with some company in Southampton that rents out this report for importers as a business.

Jon
Jon your post just doesnt' add up at all. Did your DC5 go for its testing on April 1st or later ????? why on earth was the test booked so late ? it should have had plently of time to have had a disabled loophole test booked if you've been waiting 6 months !!!

Going to several MOT test sites doesn't make sense.

£10K to get a model report complied on a DC5... i don't think so. Model reports.com down in Southampton will do a report for free... all they need is a donor car. FACT. They then own the right to that report and can rent it out. Or an Importer can develop their own.. as we are.

If you ordered a DC5 from Japan in good faith that it was going to be supplied to you as any normal importer would do.. i can't see why a report was complied on YOUR car... was this explained to you ?

Delivered to Ireland by mistake..., stuck in Liverpool... WTF !!!!!!

jonster

Advanced Member
Hey DC,

I guess only Warrender knows what really went on. I've no reason to doubt what they told me. I guess they were keen for me to pay the balance on the purchase of the car so they have no reason to not tell the truth. The SVA date on my registration document is the beginning of Feb 02, but the MOT had it for a while before that. I picked the car up on the middle of that month.

I wouldn't want to go through all that again, for sure.

Cheers,

Jon

DC5-loveR

Advanced Member
Oh well Jon at least you have a DC5 now. And by the look of your sig a very very impressive teg. :D

any pics ?

jonster

Advanced Member
It's discovering this forum and meeting with it's members that has got me in to car mods for the first time (in a big way). It's a pretty great car standard but still is a great platform to make improvements.

I'm happy with my mods, but the power is starting to get silly now. It's getting to much to put down.

No pics I'm afraid, not much money left for a digital camera after all these mods :)

Jons

TegTypeR

Advanced Member
OK OK !! let me get this right !! as i might be just about to import a dc5 myself !! i know i have to get a esva test ! but whats it going to cost me ? do i need to pay for one of the model reports ?? if so can any one lend me an original filter and exhaust lol !!!

Any info would be greatful

Azz :shock:

JOM

Advanced Member
Hi Azz,

Welcome to the forum

Don't know how much the ESVA test is and you will need to hire a model report which I think is about £300.

The car will need to be in standard condition so it matches the model report...

James

TegTypeR

Advanced Member
Hi james

Thanks for that ! and that just leaves me to find an exhaust and air box !!! of crap !! another question i have got is when it gets to the port, and i have paid the import and vat can i drive it back to my home ? if so do i need to inform anyone or get anything to do so ?

Thanks

Azz :twisted:

Erm

Advanced Member
wel no you cannot drive it without insurance get it insured on the chasis number

best thing to do is if you have a friend in the motor industry who has access to trade plates.... get him to pop along with u and let him drive it back ;) ;) ;)