No underseal on potential purchase - a problem?

Andy_CTR

Hi All,

I've found a great looking teg for sale that is spot on in all areas, apart from the fact that it was imported last december, yet has not yet been undersealed. Meaning it was exposed for all of last winter.....

It has apparently been regularly hosed underneath, but should I run away from this beastie, or if there is no sign of rust already, go for it and then get it undersealed ASAP?

Thanks for any advice!

Andy.

PS - It was imported through top gear car sales in wales, any info on if these guys are up to scratch?

JT3173

Advanced Member
Hi Andy,

I would find out roughly how many miles it did in winter.

I would then get it up on a ramp and then have a look, it should not be that bad! The get it undersealed, I have been told that it does not cost that much.

I used my Caterham all through last winter and hosed it down often and there was no corrosion underneith it, that is saying somthing too as the underside is aluminum and is supposed to melt if it comes into contact with salt!

IMO, if the car is right, buy it! :D

redcap

Advanced Member
As said put it on a ramp if possible and have a look. Should be Ok. It will cost you about £100 to get it undersealed.

Andy_CTR

Thanks for the replies guys, it's not the cost of undersealing that's putting me off, but the potential damage that's already been done.

Are there any particular areas to look for underneath? Anywhere that's particularly susceptible, or where dirt/salt would get stuck or build up ?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
It should be fine Honda usea anti corrosion stuff under them anyway just its not as good as proper underseal

keevster

Advanced Member
Does not say much for the owner or previous importer, bring a car of that cost into our salty UK roads, and wont shell out £100-150max for undersealing :shock:

Personally i would stay clear, but thats just me :lol: Plenty to choose from, go for one that has been undersealed since entrance into the UK. :?: then you are certain of no worries further down the line :?:

Paul :wink:

neilhowe

I think everybody forgets that Japan has some of the worst snow in the world - or best if you are into your boarding! :)

In the north of Japan (Hokkaido) they actually put salt on their roads and I believe more likely to have problems than anybody living in the south of England. Thankfully, most cars up there head for the biggest market in the world for used Japanese cars (Russia).

We underseal every vehicle when it goes through the workshop just to give that extra piece of mind. But, I would not be put off by buying a car that has spent some life over here with no additional underseal.

But as always, like other posts on this forum - just take the cautious approach and get the car up on the ramps.

When we first started to underseal cars about 10 years ago it actually caused us a problem with AA inspections as they thought we were hiding something!

ally_mac

Advanced Member
For the people who have their cars undersealed, what do you do it with. Do you just waxoil them or do you use the stonechip paint and properly seal it like UK cars

AdrianK

Advanced Member
mines been waxoyl'd, but it wasnt done straight away i did it when i bought it, its still fine underneath, so honestly if the car is good and theres no visible rusting, go for it.

neil_integra

Advanced Member
just give it a good clean underneath and wax-oil it. Some choose to clean it from dry with an airline or you can have it done with water then wait for it to dry then wax-oil it.