Noise at 3,500-4,000 RPM?

spooke

Advanced Member
I've got a strange sound at around 3,500-4,000 RPM which is most noticeable in 3rd or 4th gear on off power and seems to be from the gearbox (clutch in the noise goes instantly and revving in neutral produces no sound). I have removed the driveshaft heatshield, had the plastic inlet manifold spaced up and the exhaust manifold heatshield seems solid - I have not really checked the catalytic converter heatshield but the noise seems to come from the engine bay/gearbox,

Here is a sound clip of the noise which can be heard at 0:06 and 0:10, turn up your volume,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-AopXGo2BAcalRRRUZMaHhET0E

I have had it diagnosed to be the gearbox bearings (either side of the shaft?) and am going to get a second opinion but it looks like I may have to get the box taken apart to find the exact cause? I've recently had the gearbox fluid changed with Honda MTF-3 and it was filled up correctly - the noise was there before this was done,

Anyone have any ideas?

spooke

Advanced Member
Just to update, went to TGM Sport, Tom is 100% sure that it is the clutch springs rattling. He was very informative and I thank him for taking some time to diagnose my car with no charge :)