Noise testing

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Aside from turning up at a track day or the likes, where can i get my exhaust noise tested??

I dont wanna book a track day and turn up to find its too noisy, plus i dont have the bung for my exhaust.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I had the same problem mate. I spoke to the noise officer at Donington on the phone, he said it's normally the intakes that cause the most problems.

If it's a static test, you should be OK - it's the drive-by tests that will show you up as being loud due to being under load.

For comparison, I was told that most modified cars fail the 98db limit, even Evos with the FQ kit fitted from the factory (which disappoints a lot of people!)

Can't see me passing a 98db limit with a Gruppe M and full Toda exhaust somehow... :cry:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
lockwood77 said:
If it's a static test, you should be OK - it's the drive-by tests that will show you up as being loud due to being under load.

For comparison, I was told that most modified cars fail the 98db limit, even Evos with the FQ kit fitted from the factory (which disappoints a lot of people!)

Can't see me passing a 98db limit with a Gruppe M and full Toda exhaust somehow... :cry:
My friends FQ320 MR is quite quiet on track and not had any problems with noise tests at the tracks we've been to.

You could buy a sound meter and measure for yourself. I'm sure Maplins sell them.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
98db is the lowest I've seen for a track though. It's annoying that Donington has the lowest limit when they're by far the closest track to me! :roll:

vtecbaby

Stu - you should have asked on sunday!!!

we could have got her round into the pits for some noise testing

im sure other smaller races/quieter weekends will allow you t go and check

aside from that the maplins idea sounds good to me

or try ravenscroft in fleet - the MOT stantion and see what they say

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Yeah, one of the trackday organisers at Donington said that I could go down and do a drive-by down the straight as long as I took a helmet! :)

tron2k3

Advanced Member
You can get a noise test at any MOT station (I think), though I had an CTR EP3 at donington, with a GruppeM, DC Sports race header and I had no problems at all, There was a Nissan Pulsar that was loud, think he shoved some wire wool up the tail pipe :lol: Think he pulled out of the pits and it all fell out.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
pete, i didnt have the Header on on sunday, so itd have all been a waste anyway

at he mo, i only have a sppon drop in and std airbox so i can see the intake failing the noise limits

ill see what i can dig up at an MOT station, good shout!!

Failing that, a trip up the road to thruxton maybe??

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Just remember that some tracks are happy with a static test (presumably what you'll get at an MOT station), but others are drive-by, which will be difficult to replicate unless you can get someone to stand by the roadside with a monitoring device while you drive past at 8k rpm!

Donington have microphones positioned all round the track, so you can't just lift off/drop into neutral as you go by the pits or something (and that would rather dampen the track experience anyway!)

It's all a bit ironic when they are positioned next to one of the busiest freight airports in the UK... :roll:

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Noise restrictions are just another pain in the A$$ this country hands people trying to have some fun!

I can well imagine at 8k+ RPM itd be a tad noisy!! And as you said, lifting off/coasting would dampen the day!

SAying that, lifting off would be pointless IMHO as its still quite noisy on overrun!

May have to get a custom bung made! Although ui have read some negative reports about using bungs!

lockwood77

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:
Noise restrictions are just another pain in the A$$ this country hands people trying to have some fun!

I can well imagine at 8k+ RPM itd be a tad noisy!! And as you said, lifting off/coasting would dampen the day!

SAying that, lifting off would be pointless IMHO as its still quite noisy on overrun!

May have to get a custom bung made! Although ui have read some negative reports about using bungs!
Tell me about it mate, it rules out quite a few for me. :( Having said that, I fully intend to get the noise of both cars tested properly as above (I think it was the guy from Bookatrack who said I could pop down to Donington), so I know for sure - there are plenty of people who say they have no problems, so I might be being overly pessimistic!

There are quite a few tracks with 100db+ limits though, some as high as 105db - with decibels being a logarithmic scale, that's a lot louder than 98db! :shock:

I'm looking at Rockingham, Bedford, Snetterton (bit far that one), Cadwell Park (bit daunting!), maybe Oulton Park - all have 101db+ limits from what I've seen.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
I know snetterton had a 105db limit when i was there with TGM a few weeks ago

His Js 70 RR was making 106db, and that was effing loud, so i think mine mayeb around the 100 mark? Who knows til its tested.

Jayk

Advanced Member
Im gonna be testing mine stu with a db meter, static test most cars a fine but its on the run under loud. My mate got black flagged at Donington last time we were there, he had AEM V1, Mugen Manifold, Mugen N1 Exhaust, KPRO and it was louder than the DC5 Touring car so the marshall said! He got a refund though!

celox performance

Advanced Member
What happens if your lauch control is set at 4000rpm on the KPRO. How do the marshalls test it then. Do they still let you on or kick you off because they can't test it at 2/3 full throttle?

I'm interested to know what to expect at my next track day :lol:

vtecbaby

most may ask you to disable it if al all possible

or is there a way of revving without it, ie in neutral with the clutch out

we have to disable launch control on the tgm cars prior to noise testing

celox performance

Advanced Member
It's probably best I get it disabled then just in case. Even putting it in neutral/1st/2nd/3rd/4th gear it still won't go past the 4000rpm mark. I suppose the ECU must read get the reading from the speedo.