Noise

User

Advanced Member
My car was recorded at Donington at 101db then 100db with the bung in.

Need to get it down to 98db somehow.

Gruppe M induction
Toda Manifold
HKS Hi Power Muffler cat back exhaust
K-Pro'd

Has anyone any ideas? Is the Toda cat back nice and quiet? I could change the HKS for the Toda if needs be? Or is it pure engine noise coming back through the Gruppe M? In which case - damn :( Dont wanna change the Induction :(

Duncs

mine was 87.4
Toda cat back
Injen CAI,
if i remember standard was about 87 as well

gregb

Advanced Member
sell up and go back to stock :lol: i reckon it`s the k-pro :wink:
why do you have to get it down?are all tracks that restrictive on the noise over there?
i should have the toda mani/exhaust system on by this time next week
and what i`ve heard is it`s not too loud at all..

Evs

Advanced Member
I got black flagged at Donnington last year, with GruppeM, Toda manifold & cat-back - same 101dB IIRC. So no, changing the cat-back for a Toda is not going to fix it on its own. :!:

I took the scuttle and scoop off the GruppeM and was OK for the rest of the session, but *cough* I also avoided using WOT/VTEC under the bridges *cough* :wink:

My plan is to get another OEM scuttle and mod it so that it allows the airbox to suck its air from inside the cabin. I think this would significantly reduce the level of noise measurable from above the car :idea:

Hope that helps :)

User

Advanced Member
Evs said:
I took the scuttle and scoop off the GruppeM and was OK for the rest of the session, but *cough* I also avoided using WOT/VTEC under the bridges *cough* :wink:
LOL, great minds. Tis common knowledge mics are on the bridges despite the fact the marshall told me they were all round the track. lol, nice try Mr. Marshall. :lol:

I'm thinking about (wait for it)......foam filling the carbon airbox for a track session. Crazy?

mikegsi

Staff member
thats not too bad noise wise though, i have similar set up other than i have injen, im paid up for croft which is 98db, but last year there were some loud cars which never got flagged, so im hoping theyre just as lax this year too! the only difference in my car now is the toda mani and associated set-up so i dont think it'll be much louder than it was, as for your problem, without replacing or changing something i dont think you'll get down to the required level

User

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
thats not too bad noise wise though, i have similar set up other than i have injen, im paid up for croft which is 98db, but last year there were some loud cars which never got flagged, so im hoping theyre just as lax this year too! the only difference in my car now is the toda mani and associated set-up so i dont think it'll be much louder than it was, as for your problem, without replacing or changing something i dont think you'll get down to the required level
Oh boy are you in for a surprise :lol:

£10 says you get 100db.

mikegsi

Staff member
what about putting the oem cat back setup back on for the day, surely that cant be too much hassle to do and should drop the noies down a little?

rayray

Ractive a company from the USA that also have many distributors around the UK sell a sort of a noise control valve, which is sandwiched in between the one of the exhaust joints. the main purpose for the valve is to control the amont of air that exits. thus reducing noise!
Motor tec in Birmingham have one fitted on to their supercharged Accord Type R, the number is 01213590000

Evs

Advanced Member
User said:
I'm thinking about (wait for it)......foam filling the carbon airbox for a track session. Crazy?
Not crazy imho, it might help, but I still think the position of the air scoop on the car wrt the mics is a big part of the problem.

User said:
mikegsi said:
the only difference in my car now is the toda mani and associated set-up so i dont think it'll be much louder than it was
Oh boy are you in for a surprise :lol:

£10 says you get 100db.
Another £10 here :lol: It's been discussed a few times on here that fitting a race manifold/decat makes the car a LOT louder - I'd guess at 2-3dB easily. Just be prepared mate, you don't want to spend £150 or so and spend the day standing on the pit wall :cry:

mikegsi

Staff member
im gonna keep my fingers crossed that they are as lenient as they were last year! failing that i only live ten minutes from the circuit so id be back on track within the hour! oem cat back in place!

andyd

Advanced Member
you neeed a Blitz Sonic, Toda Manifold & a Spec III exhaust.

that would be nice and quiet.

:lol:

Andy

jonster

Advanced Member
I've not been stopped with my setup on any track yet. Try a Mugen Twin-loop cat back. Static test was about 89dB at Castle Coombe a few weeks back and drive by was fine. I've been running without the GruppeM scoop for some time now. I cannot feel any difference with it on or off so it stays off.