Noises!

Greedy Sheedy

Hi Guys,

So just to start with, I am not exactly knowledgeable when it comes car issues and parts so apologies if this is really trivial.

I have a few weird noises from the motor which I feel need addressing but not sure what the problem is. For a few months now, it intermittently has a really short 4-5 second high pitched squeak when I start the car. Sounds like a belt or something, not as loud as what a cambelt sounds like and makes no noise when pulling away or anything. However I have just started getting another noise which is also intermittent, which sounds like a grinding, crunching noise for about 1 second when I start the engine.

Some cursory research online suggests the latter noise could be a vtc actuator which sounds like it could be expensive to replace (given that it's not something I could do myself), but has anyone else had this problem or know what it could be? Are these two noises linked in anyway?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Greedy

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Grinding/crunching noise on start up is almost certainly the starter motor sticking. Loads of K20 Honda‘s do it when the weather gets colder. I‘ve started calling it the K20 sneeze.

As for the high pitch whine/squeak, sounds likely to be aux belt related. Possibly tensioner or belt needs replacing. I‘d start with these and see how you get on.

Britz

Advanced Member
The starter motor can occasionally sometimes stick on for a second which would cause a crunching noise when you start the car think I heard it‘s a common issue with the dc5

Cennix1

I'd Second torque GT. The starter motor noise is absolutely nothing to worry about, it especially happens during the cold (mine started doing it about a week ago again, as it does every year). Aux belt and Tensioner sound like good places to start, it won't be the cam belt as we don't have one :D

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Mine has the K20 sneeze, it usually does it when the car is started from cold. It did it throughout summer haha

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk