Noob - DC5 for next car

Danith

Hi all,

Some of you may recognise the username off the CTRO website, but mainly Cliosport.net and RSmegane - most of you probs won't and think - who's this helmet?!

So yeah, I've decided that despite the harsh price tag, age and 'nickability' of the DC5 (which have always put me off), I've decided that I need to take the plunge and get myself one.

Had a string of all sorts of hot hatches in my driving history - currently driving a tidy (practically rebuilt with shiny new parts) Renaultsport Megane R26 (tweaked sensibly to 273 bhp/300 lb/ft) and a UKDM Ep3 preface which we use for track and ring trips (K100'd and usual breathing mods, suspension etc).

I really really like the Megane, it's fast and it's comfortable and (unbelievably) it's even reliable. I just really prefer the power delivery of an N/A though, and the K20 in my Ep just confirms it to me everytime I go out in it - slower or not, don't care, it's more of a hoot!

DC5 to me sounds like a more powerful, nicer looking car than the EP - with a lovely old school hydraulic rack and LSD. The proper Recaros (Megane ones are meh) and big wing are absolute bonuses too.

So yeah, despite spending about £11k on my Megane in the space of 11 months, I want a DC5. I actually prefer the look of the preface.

But what are the real world differences between a preface and facelift? What's the insurance like? Do you install trackers to yours? Where do they tend to rust?

I'm actually out in Japan next March - but don't think I could wait that long :)

Any other owners from Stockport/Manchester/North West introduce yourself below - I've probably already seen you around on the FB pages

Cennix1

My dad has a Cupra R 2011 running similar power to your Megane and when he drove back from London to Leicester after I bought my DC5 he said he would only miss simple things such as automatic lights and wipers, all the electronics for things like tyre pressure and what not. And aside from that he would quite happily use it as a daily. Personally my only gripe from a practical point of view is the lack of headroom for rear passengers, some of my family members straight up refuse to get in the back and would rather get a taxi somewhere!

You can see a full list of facelift and pre-facelift differences here:
http://www.integratyper.org/specs/facelift.htm

My insurance for a 2001 PFL was £950 but I am only 23, in comparison, an EP3 would have been £600 insurance, I fished around quite a lot for a good price. It can be difficult insuring it because a lot of the companies don't list a DC5 due to being import-only. But there's a section on the forum that will help a ton with that.

I don't have an active tracker but I do have an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser, I am quite content with that given my area but I suppose this is each to their own. I have seen just a couple of incidents of vandalism/break-ins on this forum over the past couple of years

They don't tend to rust too bad from what I have read over the past couple of years, there is a relatively common problem that can occur with water building up in the spare wheel well which can cause it to rust, so make sure to check this before buying of course. Also check it was undersealed when it arrived into the UK as we salt our roads but they don't salt them like we do over in Japan.

Danith

Cheers for the reply. Yeah I have got used to stuff like the auto lights and wipers and stuff, not really arsed one bit though about that! I've given the Megane a good go and don't get me wrong it's a brilliant car - I ran rings around people at Oulton on it with just rainsport tyres on and H&R springs. It'sway OTT for the pop to the shops though or a good B road blast, actually no it's ace for a B road blast - I just prefer N/A. I've given turbo a go a couple of times now and it's just not the same type of hooligan.
Rear head room I couldn't care less about either, it's always just me and my Mrs (who's 4'10"!) and if it's a long distance we'll take her Golf TDi company car.
Insurance shouldn't be too bad - I'm 37 and currently with Brentacre for 750 for the year on the EP and Megane, every last mod declared.
There are a couple around here in Stockport which is reassuring, I know they were fairly bad for thefts when I lived up the road in Manchester centre - maybe they'e just moved onto the Golf R's, FK2's, Focus ST/RS, M cars etc. Seem to be rife around East Manc for those going missing. The last thing I want is my house getting broke into by scrotes for my keys.

I'll have a read of that link, cheers. Looking at pictures I absolutely 100% prefer the look of the preface.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
German cars (VAG etc) are generally what get stolen now. More value and can be stripped for parts on a chop shop and there's a good market for parts for them.

My father had his old Seat Leon K1 kitted FR stolen and the police took him to a lock up and has to have a look through some parts to see if he recognised anything they had seized. He could identify the seats by a cigarette burn.

Danith

Chrismartin said:
German cars (VAG etc) are generally what get stolen now. More value and can be stripped for parts on a chop shop and there's a good market for parts for them.

My father had his old Seat Leon K1 kitted FR stolen and the police took him to a lock up and has to have a look through some parts to see if he recognised anything they had seized. He could identify the seats by a cigarette burn.
Absolute scum (not your Dad :) )

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Danith said:
Absolute scum (not your Dad :) )
Was a shame really. Nice car, and at the time (6 years ago or so) there weren't many K1/BTTC kitted ones around at all. It wasn't pushed by Seat ad much as it is now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Just be weary that parts are now starting to become difficult to get hold of. You'll generally find items like body panels etc are discontinued and many aftermarket parts are rare as hens teeth, so command a substantial premium.

The rust is underneath like on all Jap tin boxes, but pay particular attention to the rear around the arches and chassis legs.

Danith

True. Still doesn't put me off though as a good few components are still shared with the EP's? Ep parts aren't cheap either in my opinion, for what they are.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
As long as you're aware. It'm more prevalent if you have a bump, as even small incidents which go via insurance likely end up as a write off. Some parts take many months to arrive (if they exist) so the hire car and/or storage costs effectively write the car off.

As you say many parts are shared with the breadvan so service items and many suspension components are in high supply still.

I've had 8 or 9 Type R's now I think and the DC5 is still my absolute favorite. The looks, the standard drive, exclusivity, etc all stand out for me. I genuinely think it's one of the best looking cars ever made.

Danith

With you on that. It's what the EP should've been or at least an option. Hydraulic rack, uprated K20, LSD, recaros and brembos. Can't think of much better except the FD or a JDM EP if you want added practicality. It's what I should've got all along really, but wasn't comfortable stretching my budget by double for something that might end up pushing up my premiums if it got nicked. I do bugger all miles for my commute (4 each way in stop start M60 traffic) so I'm probably doing more harm than good in this megane now it's mapped on bigger injectors. Don't get me wrong this Megane is absolutely brilliant, fast, handles like a go kart, grips without trying and it's even comfortable and reliable. But I've already had a taste of K20 engine/gearbox combo so everything after that is just OK.
Tonight will be my first drive out in the Ep since having it mapped too so it'll no doubt seal the deal that K20 is best suited to me.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I test drove the R26 and while I felt it was a very fast and capable car, it didn't feel 'race car' enough for me. I've recently come back from my second 400 bhp Evo and while I do miss the surge, everything else about the DC5 I think makes it a better package. I'm sure you'll enjoy one.

Danith

Standard it as a bit flat but the handling was unbelievable. Since mapping it's got a real surge/punch, but yeah as said, don't get the drama like you do with a screaming Honda n/a. That's what I miss. My brother has a Clio 200 Cup and he says the same, it's close but we both just love the iVtec engine (especially with the teg m intake we have on it), the Civic is shared, could be a messy divorce if it came to it, lolz

p1tse

Advanced Member
Hi and welcome

Is that spending £11k on the Megan including purchase of the car or mods and maintenance alone?

Danith

Patch_teg said:
Hi and welcome

Is that spending £11k on the Megan including purchase of the car or mods and maintenance alone?
All in. Buying, labour and modifications

Danith

So yeah, back from nurburg in the Ep3 and the4 map is brilliant!! 220 bhp but more about the longer vtec power band. Car was faultless around, maybe a bit gash in the wet though on the GP track.

So, megane needs to get chopped in for a DC5 - anyone interested In a deal?

Danith

Megane now sold - looking for a clean DC5 with minor mods (intake,springs,etc - for ref, Ryans was ideal :( )

Got 8k ish but will stretch myself for a good one. Some of the recent prices are just ridiculous though for a 16 year old Honda! Prepared to be patient.