Not starting

LAT

Hi guys,

Firstly, I know perhaps this should go into the engine section. With the first engine I boosted my dc5 and have it to the tuner he ran it lean and blew it up.

I decided to buy a second hand engine (knowing that it runs) and rebuild it, I've got to the stage of turning the car over but it's not firing. There's fuel and spark but it just doesn't fire. When you flip the key, it turns over but it doesn't fire like there's no spark but there is as I've take the spark plug out and turned the key. Is there anything you guys think I've missed?

Thanks in advance

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Checked the timing chain? If you've got fuel and spark, maybe it's not firing at the right time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LAT

No mate I haven't. I guess it could be stretched or the timing could be out. The thing is that the engine was running before it went it

Fez

Advanced Member
You checked earths? I had same problem on a previous car, i used jump leads off the engine to the body of the car (clean metal) and it fired first time.

LAT

Checked all earths, all good. I've tried to jump it off a friends car but still no joy

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Check the timing markers at tdc mate. It would throw an error normally but if it's not running it may not be able to see the issue.
Check tensioner too.

Did you see engine running before you got it, or were you told it was?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LAT

That's my next thing to check. I'm away with work now for the week. Yeah, I would have thought if the timing was out the check light would be on. The guy sent me a video of the engine running prior to buying it

LAT

So it turns out it's not the timing. When the Hondata is plugged in there is a constant check light on, it mentions something to do with the Honda specification. Had anyone come across this?