NRG polished bonnet dampers

redcap

Advanced Member
Anyone got these? Just ordered some and wondered if anyone has them? If so are they a good fit and are they up to the job?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Hey buddy where did you get these from and how much did you pay (if you dont mind me asking)

brucey87

Advanced Member
i have these but the carbon ones. have had them on for 2 years now and been fine.

redcap

Advanced Member
Hey buddy where did you get these from and how much did you pay (if you dont mind me asking)
Hi, not at all mate, I bought them from a seller on eBay, UK stock apparently.

Not cheap but cheaper than the Tein ones and I found that cheaper ones were either a poor fit or not very good quality, from what I can tell these should be pretty good, they are American and the forums over there seem to give positive feedback so we'll see when they arrive.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Ah right I was looking at the carbons for £87 for my OEM.

How did you find out these are for carbon bonnets only? I thought the way the listing positioned them was they were carbon/carbon look units.

Gordon

redcap

Advanced Member
Links to the description on NRG's website. The fitting kit shown there is different although the kit shown on eBay is the same for both?

http://www.getnrg.com/products/under-hood/hood-dampers

http://www.getnrg.com/products/under-hood/hood-dampers-carbon-fiber

I did ask the seller about their suitability for my OEM bonnet and this is what they said.

Hi there,

Thank you for your purchase.
No worries, this product is both OEM and lightweight.
It should fit your requirements very well.

Thanks and Regards,
Max

brucey87

Advanced Member
The carbon ones are for carbon bonnets? Didnt think any were supposed to be used with them.

Mine were too strong for my carbon bonnet. As in, if i opened my bonnet and didnt have my hand above it, it would of been ripped off its hinges. Now i have a oem bonnet they feel normal.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Be careful lads. The seller's information is wrong (I've contacted him in the past as well).

The carbon and polished types are just the finishes for the dampers. He only sells the oem bonnet dampers which would be too powerful for carbon bonnets; his ebay listing can be misconstrued although this admittedly is taken from NRG's website I think.

There are two types, one for oem bonnets and one for carbon bonnets. Both types can have either the carbon or polished finish.

redcap

Advanced Member
I have edited my earlier post to avoid confusion. The NRG website shows the dampers that are for CF bonnets if anyone's wants info on them.

redcap

Advanced Member
Fitted today, they fit perfectly and work really well, think it was worth the extra money over a cheap set! Would be too powerful for light weight bonnets though.

dotty

Advanced Member
Just thought I would drop this in here as a reference, I recently bought redcap's :

NRG bonnet dampers fitted!

What a marvellous bit of kit, they look so much better than the OEM prop, and gives you plenty of room to work around in the bay without the prop being in the way. (Well plenty of room for TGM to!) :)

I had been looking at getting a set of dampers recently, as once you get the RBC fitted you lose the bonnet prop 'catch' from the slam panel, leaving you with two choices.

1) Leave the prop as it is but listen to the occasional noise it makes as it rattles about in the bay as it is not properly secured with a catch, making it move about off the RBC.
2) Remove the prop and leave in the boot until needed, which isn't ideal.

I was all set to order a set of TEIN dampers from Japan, but I thought I would do a search to see if any on here had not been snapped up in the classifieds.

To my surprise there was a set for sale by Redcap, so a PM was sent.

They are very very very easy to install.

Some pics;

Fitting commences:

OEM prop.

The dampers are even marked L&R but the L is the cars L so the L damper/bracket is fitted on the airbox side of the car.

Then the other side:

All done and looking fab! You can actually see where the OEM prop has been rubbing on my painted RBC inlet, I will get some touch up paint and sort that this week hopefully.

I took a quick vid, on the first lift the bonnet needed slightly encouraging to raise in to position, but on the second and third attempt it was all groovy :)

Please note, it was the dampers making the groaning noise, I wasn't that excited ! :lol:

In to the attic with the OEM damper!

alfa27

Advanced Member
you dont need to take out the oem prop when you fit the rbc.

i fitted the rrc and kept my oem prop.

they do look better tho, and links to the ones for a carbon bonnet?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Mine will be coming out because the way it sits on the J's Induction kit and rattles is getting on my nerves!

alfa27

Advanced Member
no dotty. i just cut a small bit off the piece. and its worked. put up a picture later.