Nurburgring and Insurance

rick c

Advanced Member
I've been to the Nurburgring a few times now and I'll be taking the DC5 next year. So far I've not had specific insurance, and I used to have Green Flag breakdown cover which I now believe doesn't recover from the Nurburgring.

I've just had a track day insurance quote from Moris for a single day at the Nurburgring which was around £110 with a £2000 excess, or £165 with an insured excess (i.e. if you write your car off you don't pay anything). However they don't recover the car.

I read on Ben Lovejoy's website that ADAC would recover a damaged car back to the UK, but I can't seem to find that info now.

What do you guys do and what would you recommend?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, if you are going to the nurburgring and pushing so hard you are considering having to recover your car then slow down just don't take the risk, its really not worth it, its not a race afterall.

alternatively take it on a trailer in the first place.

rick c

Advanced Member
Thanks, but accidents can and do happen that are out of your control (oil spills etc). Don't have a second car nor a trailer, that's why I'm looking into insurance and breakdown cover

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if you drive sensibly the chance of accidents is massivly reduced, oil spils etc are a rarity at the ring it is well marshalled,

nearly all the incidents i have seen and heard about are caused by lack of experience and drivers pushing way too hard or trying to beat a mates time

my advice to you is to go there and drive it like you would an unfamiliar b road, you will have tons of fun, don't even consider timing yourself, you will prove nothing and probably crash, you certainly won't beat any alleged records so why bother even trying, Its a great place and gives a great buzz knowing nothing is comming the other way (mostly anyways) while you are blasting around.

rick c

Advanced Member
Sorry I know you're trying to help but I really am just looking for insurance and breakdown companies that would cover the nurburgring (or any track, for that matter).

I understand the risks, I've been there 4 or 5 times now. Just trying to see what CAN be done about insurance.

Dave SS

join adac, it's not easy though :?

The topic's been covered on northloop.co.uk quite a bit

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
I believe you will still need to pay them (nurburgring) to tow your car off the Ring and for any damage

It cost my mate 1500euros for the tow truck, a guy to hold a flag and a dent in a barrier :!: :evil:

JT3173

Advanced Member
Or is you can get some cover from the German insurance company, AXA, they cover the Nurburgring as its covered on my policy so long as I am not racing!

rick c

Advanced Member
JT3173 said:
Or is you can get some cover from the German insurance company, AXA, they cover the Nurburgring as its covered on my policy so long as I am not racing!
More details please :?:

phil_dc5

When you have an accident at the ring they have their own recovery team in place which you can pay for on the spot, or if you join ADAC they will come and recover the car as part of your membership. They take you to a local garage (KFZ Bongard from memory he has the contract for all the totalled vehicles) He is a nice fella who speaks broken English and with and a case of beer and a polite question will put down on his records which your insurance company will look at that you crashed in Adenau which is the village he is located. So your normal insurance company will than recover the car back to the UK as part of your European cover as if you had had a genuine RTA. So all you need is ADAC cover, Your normal insurance with Euro cover and separate track cover for damage to the car if you spank it on track. (I speak from experience)