O2 sensor going/gone!

jayo656

Advanced Member
Hey guys, im a newbie and recently purchased a dc5.

The EML came on not so long ago and had it diagnosed with the error code p1167 which i know is the o2 sensor (searching through the forum)

I was wondering, instead of replacing the o2 sensor, but fitting an aftermarket manifold would solve this?

Thanks in advance!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
No the wideband primary O2 sensor is needed by the ECU or it has no idea whats going on. Further to this you will have awful fuel economy and loss of power.

jayo656

Advanced Member
I believe there are 2 sensors? Does a manifold replace one of them? Yes, i have noticed fuel economy has not been great due to it over fuelling but power has not decreased.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Yes there are two sensors, primary and secondary, the primary is needed by the ECU so it can determine the air/fuel ratio is correct and if not it can compensate, and the code you described refers to the primary.

The secondary is there just to check the cat is doing its job, this one is not necessarily required, without it you will get an EML unless you have a Kpro/K100 ECU and it has been turned off in there. Or you can use one of those spacers to fool the ECU but they seem to rarely work.

Changing the manifold will not help you at all, whatever you do you will have to replace the primary sensor, no getting around it.