Occasional Flat Midrange

Paul Type R

I've had my DC5 for about 5 weeks now and it's pretty damn good. But there is one thing i've noticed which is the car seems to have less go sometimes. One minute it's pulling like a train from about 3k revs through the midrange and into the vtec and then the next it feels like it's being strangled or something, like it's only opening about 1/4 throttle or switching to another map. There seems to be an accompanying hissing sound at the time which backs up the strangling sensation and it seems to happen when the engines been running for a while, so could heat build up be a problem? Wondering if anyone else has had this problem or whether anyone knows what is likely to be causing this?

Hope someone can help, thanks.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Would help if you list what modifications (if any) that you have.

Lack of power at times would most probably point to bad fuel. What are you filling her up with?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
check oil level as a starting point, when did it last have a change and finally what oil is it using?

sinbad

Advanced Member
again im a complete novice and no mechanic, but could it be a sticking throttle body maybe?
sounds unusual that its intermittant.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Just thought, have you checked the crank case oil breather pipe? It's the one that goes from the rocker cover on the edge back into the air box. I had the same issue on my EP3.

Paul Type R

The car is completely std save for a RSR rear box (very last piece, this as just been patched up incidently and will be junked after xmas when I can get a std end piece). It can’t be bad fuel as it does it on various fuel supplies. Oil’s just been changed and is up to level, using Shell Helix Ultra 5w/30 full synth.

Just been out again and it was like it going out of the housing estate, there’s a definite hissing or whizzing when it’s happening, it’s literally like there’s something stopping the air get into the engine, or it’s storing up the air and then releasing it in one go making it feel like a turbo, it’s just sometimes it doesn’t fell like it’s releasing the air at all and this is when it’s cause for concern. As I got out the estate it freed up again and felt fine. DC5’s haven’t got any kind of variable intake have they?

Will check the said breather pipe when I get chance chris.
xthumbup

Paul Type R

I'm reviving this thread as i'm still to no avail has to what is happening to my teg every now and then. On the way home from work it felt strangulated again as said above, does it every 2 weeks or so. But i've noticed something else now. When it's doing this the engine will not rev passed 5k rpm at standstill. There's no 5k rev limiter on the DC5 at standstill that i didn't know about is there? Anyone had any experiance with this? Do you think anyone at TDI North would know what my problem is?

LeeH

Advanced Member
Get it to Honda, you may be luckly and a fault has been logged. :idea:

Suped

Advanced Member
At stand still, there is a limit to 5k, roll past 10 mph, then the revs can hit red line.

Paul Type R

Suped said:
At stand still, there is a limit to 5k, roll past 10 mph, then the revs can hit red line.
Ha now i didn't know this, thanks for that. I know that ain't part of the problem now.

Just been out and its fine now again. Dunno what to think. If i carries on i'll prob do what Lee suggests but it's about £60 or something just for honda to plug code reader in. :roll:

Paul Type R

MilanoChris said:
Have you checked the air filter?
Yeah we did at last service about 1000 miles back. We checked the pipe between the rocker cover and airbox. Seemed fine, nothing blocking it and no splits, nothing obvious anyway. What happened with your EP3?

clio_phil

Check the cold air feed pipe thats goes to the airbox, it connects at the front and bends towards the front grill.

If its not connected you wont be getting cold air to the engine, this has happened to me before.

Mark_teg

Staff member
My cold air feed has dropped slightly as it did with my EP3. I find it impossible to keep it perfectly in line!!
This, Im sure wont give you a flat midrange or any other noticable change.