octane levels

M3Tz

Hi there,

just a quick question, my bro's friend has a helicopter i know lucky git...
but he has offered me some 130octane fuel..

i think its probably going to be to high? to run rich but could i just use a small amount as a octane booster as such?

if so how much should i put in the tank?

Matt

truffs

aviation fuel in a car, it will melt it :shock: mind you it would be interesting to find out what happens :xaiweb6:

M3Tz

so im guessing i cant even use a small about to boost octane levels when i fill up?

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
I'm bored so here goes...............

Aviation fuel is either 100LL or 110LL octane rating. 130 is not avaible. The aviation fuel is a bit odd it has stabilisers

Avgas is formulated for use in aircraft, the chemicals are quite different that go into making it, the thing with Avgas is that it is designed to produce a constant octane rating through a range of altitude as its main use is in light aircraft with piston engines. It properties are quite different from pump fuel.

As with any feul there is always a trade off.

Antiknock Additive. Usefull for high compression engines.

The most important avgas additive is tetraethyl lead. It is added as part of a mixture that also contains ethylene dibromide and dye. Ethylene dibromide acts as a scavenger for lead. When avgas is burned in an engine, the lead in tetraethyl lead is converted to lead oxide. Without a scavenger, lead oxide deposits would quickly collect on the valves and spark plugs. If the deposits become thick enough, they can damage the engine. Ethylene dibromide reacts with the lead oxide as it forms and converts it to a mixture of lead bromide and lead oxybromides. Because these compounds are volatile, they are exhausted from the engine along with the rest of the combustion products. Just enough ethylene dibromide is added to react with all of the lead. However, because the reaction does not quite go to completion, a small amount of lead oxide deposit is found in the cylinders of engines!

However, be warned there are no corosive inhibiters in Avgas that is comercialy available, only for Militay application.

Engine and fuel are interdependent components of a single system. Each engine is designed and certified for fuel with a specific minimum antiknock performance. Using a fuel with a lower antiknock performance will produce less knock-limited power and possibly damage the engine under severe knock conditions. Use of a fuel with a higher antiknock performance is not harmful, but provides no benefit.

The energy content of avgas can be measured; it is the heat released (also called the heat of combustion) when a known quantity of fuel is burned under specific conditions. The amount of heat released depends on whether the water formed during combustion remains as a vapor or is condensed to a liquid. If the water is condensed to the liquid phase, giving up its heat of vaporization in the process, the energy released is called the gross energy content. The net energy content is lower because the water remains in its gaseous phase (water vapor). Since engines exhaust water as vapor, net energy content is the appropriate value for comparing fuels.

This will give more heat as there is more heat per quantity of fuel. The feul vaporisation characteristic are also very different, this gives way to different combustion patterns inside the cylinder.

Anyway there is a cheap, easy and harmless way to increase octane ratings in fuel, simple, just add an aromatic compound. These can easily add 10 to 15 octane points to your fuel.

I'm not endorsing anythign here and not suggesting anyone does this and i'm not responsible if you do - especially if your engine goes pop!

Just some basic thoughts............ 8)

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
M3Tz said:
so im guessing i cant even use a small about to boost octane levels when i fill up?
I was to busy typing to see the above question.........

Yes, but its a waste of time, dosen't do what it says on the tin! Most so called booster do not have any aromatic compounds in, they are generally knock resistant agents, basically they mask the knocking effect of low octance fuel or too high compression.

M3Tz

thank you for you post :)
learnt alot i think.... alot went over my head tho..

so basicly its a no..

so this aromatic compounds, where do i get that?

so i shouldn't bother with this fuel for just adding to shell fuel?

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
Carrying on from this, if your average DC5 comes arcoss from Japan where it is mapped to 100-102ish RON fuel, I take it putting that RON fuel in will give some good power??

I recently used some 102RON (available from some BP stations) and the car went like a nutter :lol: - hoping I wasn't imagining it....

JT3173

Advanced Member
When I got to Germany with my DC2 I tried Shell V-Power 100, I thought the car went like a nutter too but I am sure that alot of it is just a beleiving thing, no doubt, it has a better MPG though!
It is like using Maximuscle Cyclone with creatine in it just before a weights session, because it costs a bloo#y fortune and you have drank your money you will work harder, the mental thing, if that makes sense? :?

JT3173

Advanced Member
When I got to Germany with my DC2 I tried Shell V-Power 100, I thought the car went like a nutter too but I am sure that alot of it is just a beleiving thing, no doubt, it has a better MPG though!
It is like using Maximuscle Cyclone with creatine in it just before a weights session, because it costs a bloo#y fortune and you have drank your money you will work harder, the mental thing, if that makes sense? :?

timp

Advanced Member
JT3173 said:

Read this to see Ians quotes (do you work for chevron?)

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodser ... _perf.shtm

the higher the octane the less prone the mixture is to detonation but to take advantage of this you would have to adjust your timing. Thus you only benifit running you motor on the octane it was tuned on. As the car came from Japan where most fuel is 100 then thats the ideal for the standard tune.

but creatine is water retentitive so you actually dehydrate as well hence if you use the powder which is better you drink alot of water with it whilst loading up. But because of this you will see a size increase in your muscle and your gut from all that water! and you will be going to the toilet all the time and constantly have that gritty taste in your mouth :( !