Odyssey PC680 CTEK Battery Charger

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Basically looking for a battery charger for long term charging of my Odyssey PC680 battery.

From what I've read the CTEK chargers are the ones of choice, just don't know which one will actually suit my needs.

I'm not looking for something to charge the battery, but something to keep the battery topped up over long periods of time (i.e weeks).

Currently, after 2 weeks the battery voltage has dropped to the point here you just get the horrible noise from the starter motor solenoid and you have to jump start the car. And we have a few very cold mornings here last couple of weeks and the battery doesn't like that either.

So from what I gather a battery conditioner would do

Like this?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/battery-chargers-conditioners/ctek-xs-0-8-battery-maintenance-charger

Plan is to use a timer plugged into the mains so the charger only runs during the days (solar panels on house no cost to charge, ideal!) So something that just works is ideal.

Thanks

anton1234

Advanced Member
The one in the link will be perfect,

also leave it on permanently as the charger has 6 different stages so will keep the battery at its best by going through different cycles as required,

The charger doesn't consume a lot of power so It won't cost you much if left on 24/7, ebay will be the cheapest place to buy aswell :)

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
anton1234 said:

also leave it on permanently as the charger has 6 different stages so will keep the battery at its best by going through different cycles as required,

The charger doesn't consume a lot of power so It won't cost you much if left on 24/7, ebay will be the cheapest place to buy aswell :)
Just bought the CTEK MXS 3.6 for £46 delivered...used it for the past couple of weeks...perfect! Have attached the permanent wiring to the battery and I just plug straight into the charger when I know the car wont be used for a while..leaving it permanently turned on.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Cheers guys, does sound ideal.

My really wanting to disconnect the battery as there is no point in having hundreds of pounds of Clifford alarm if it doesn't work. Know it has a back up battery but doubt that will last that long.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Can recommend THIS

I leave it on permanently when car is of the road ;) also plumbed in to the battery with a quick connecter plug and it also comes with crocodile clips as well.......Nice bit of kit :)

T.G.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Cheers, I get confused when trying to figure out what spec of charger will actually suit my battery.

More so because i'm not looking for a fast charger, or something to charge the battery from flat, just to keep it topped up and from what I could figure the £35 CTEK would do the job?

Much prefer things with nuts and bolts, much easier, haha.

anton1234

Advanced Member
Basically the ctek xs 0.8 will be fine for maintenance for the size of battery you have but would overwork the charger if it had to be charged from flat,

If you had a bigger budget I would go for a bigger size ctek charger mxs 3.6 as you will be able to charge battery's of a higher ah, big cars, vans etc so gives you more versatility,but as said the xs0.8 will be fine to keep your battery conditioned

Anton

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
My battery goes flat in under a week, does this ctek charger keeps it from going flat and can it be left on all the time?

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Yes, mine has been on since last October, it doe's sound like your battery is knackered though, should last longer than a week.

The cold weather find's weakness in battery's mate.

T.G.

kneedowndean

Advanced Member
CTEK is designed to be left on all the time. Comes with a little connector to make it easier to disconnect too.

donzooo

Advanced Member
When I went away years ago on a draft for 3-4 months I left my battery on a CTEK charger in my grandparents house. Was brand new when I got back.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Topgeezer said:
Yes, mine has been on since last October, it doe's sound like your battery is knackered though, should last longer than a week.

The cold weather find's weakness in battery's mate.

T.G.
I haven't driven the dc5 for about a month but i do let it run for about 15min a week, until yesterday i come home and the alarm has been set off and can not switch it off until i jump started the car. Last time i let it run was sunday so somthing seems to be draining the battery. The battery was changed in 2013 thats what date the sticker says on the battery.

Kellsled

Advanced Member
Had one of these pc680's and it shit itself recently. Although before that it sat for half a year or more and once connected it started first go shouldn't really need to charge it if it's only a couple of weeks as mine was left months at a time with no problems although you if it's outside maybe it will be hard on it