OEM back box flange: Question?

Chewy

Advanced Member
Hello all :)

The search is killing me, I'm not finding anything that answers my question..I'm sure it's out there but my mind is starting to melt.

The OEM back box flange is a doughnut/cup fitment (Not sure of the actual terminology :rolleyes: )

Providing it lines up correctly to another B-pipe(Skunk2) can you fit it to a flat flange without too much fuss?

I'm trying to swap my exhaust because the noise at cold start is too loud for me to take now with all my early starts, so I'm looking at a temporary arrangement until a swap arises or i can afford the Kakimoto Regu i want...

I would use my OEM B-pipe but the flange corroded and broke so i threw it away...but i still have my OEM back box which is in excellent condition.

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'No' but i just want this confirming,

Thanks,

Lewis ^_^

Mark_teg

Staff member
I don't think it would seal tbh.. Maybe try a wanted thread for an OEM b-pipe?

Chewy

Advanced Member
That was my worry, balls.

Thanks, I think i may end up having to source another OEM b-pipe.

Just trying to avoid going back to 100% OEM before i've (forgive the pun) 'exhausted' all of my options.

Coming from OEM>Skunk2 mega power>OEM just makes me sad because it does sound great once it's warmed up, haha.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Check my build thread mate, ive mated a spoon n1, (oem style dohnut) to a kakimoto mid section. (flat flange) had to make a bracket but all has been fine so far. Got pics on there thats all, im on the phone so cant link to them

James

Paudie_DC5R

Another option might be to fit an apexi ecv (exhaust control valve) to your existing skunk2 system. Its basically a butterfly valve which is sandwiched between the backbox and b pipe and is controlled from inside the cabin by a cable that you route in which instantly allows you to silence the car by closing the valve. So during cold start up you could close the valve and once warm and out in the road open the valve again for the sound. There not dear either circa 120 euro. I can't comment on it performance or if it takes any away but I had the exact same issue as you with a buddyclub prospec system on the car and thought about fitting one of these to it but in the end I bought a regu 06&R. If you can find a regu you will love it just a lovely sporty purr on cold start up not a loud roaring blast like my buddyclub and your skunk2.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Here you go mate. The Spoon N1 will fit with the OEM centre section, so Im certain if I was to go OEM backbox with aftermarket centre section I know it would fit. Providing the length of the skunk 2 mid pipe is the same as OEM you shouldn't have a problem. :)

Easiest option is to jack the back up, slide underneath and take the backbox off, and offer the OEM up to it.

How I did mine was, I purchased an OEM doughnut gasket form a motor factors for an EP3 standard exhaust.(Fits the same as a DC5) and putr that in the flanged section of the Spoon backbox, thus making a flat surface now. Then offered the two flat pieces together like so....

And as you can see the bolt holes don't line up. All I did was create 2 hooks from a thin but strong metal bar, and drilled an 8mm hole in each hook for a nut and bolt to go through, then on tightening it up together, the hook pulled the mid section flange against the spoon flange. That make sense?? Ill take a picture tonight of what I have made, but its solid, has two bolts, and sealant/gasket and it lined up perfectly. haven't had any issues.....yet, and it was done a year ago October. haha

I know its not perfect, but its definitely unique ;)

Hope this helps, any questions just ask.
James

Chewy

Advanced Member
Thanks for the information Jimmer! Nicely done with the exhaust - Awesome build thread by the way.

Just checked the length and the OEM back box is 2" shorter than the Skunk2 back box, so that killed mating them for me.

Looks like I'm going down the wanted thread route for another OEM B-pipe... :unsure:

Thanks for all the help though!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Well.... if you wanted to, take the oem back box to anyone that can weld, and get them to extend it, and whilst they are at it, weld the correct flange on to mate up to it. Easy enough to do if you dont mind sacrificing a back box. Any tyres/exhaust garage should be able to do it.

If you wanted to that is.

No worries , Thanks mate, :xgrin:

Chewy

Advanced Member
Paudie_DC5R said:
Another option might be to fit an apexi ecv (exhaust control valve) to your existing skunk2 system. Its basically a butterfly valve which is sandwiched between the backbox and b pipe and is controlled from inside the cabin by a cable that you route in which instantly allows you to silence the car by closing the valve. So during cold start up you could close the valve and once warm and out in the road open the valve again for the sound. There not dear either circa 120 euro. I can't comment on it performance or if it takes any away but I had the exact same issue as you with a buddyclub prospec system on the car and thought about fitting one of these to it but in the end I bought a regu 06&R. If you can find a regu you will love it just a lovely sporty purr on cold start up not a loud roaring blast like my buddyclub and your skunk2.
Everything I've read about the Regu so far, everyone raves about it!

I love the burnt tip and how low down it's nice and subtle and on full WOT it sounds insane.

Can't wait to get my hands on one! :)