OEM CAT and aftermarket manifold help

eddys_homeuk

Ok so this will probably be a really obvious question to most of you guys, but I'm just wanting some advice.

I've got a Fujitsubo exhaust on my DC5 which was on from import. It's still got OEM manifold with the CAT.

The heat shield that wraps around the CAT has perished and is really rattling. I've already used some stainless ties to wrap round it and hold it tight in place, which has worked to a certain extent.

My question is, if I replace the manifold for aftermarket, to my understanding it is usually decat? So when it come to MOT time, do I have to take off the whole aftermarket mani and put the OEM one back??

My other option, due to not really been able to afford a new manifold right now, is to see if I can have the CAT cut out and another welded in place? Is this also possible?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, I just want to be clear before I commit to anything

Any advice will be massively appreciated.

Matt

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
You've a few options

the OEM manifold comes in 2 pieces, the top 4-2 section and the bottom 2-1 section, you can get an aftermarket 4-2 section and keep your cat

Otherway is you can just get a full aftermarket manifold (I happen to have an excellent condition one for sale ;) ) which won't have a cat - depending on the age of your car it might not need a cat as cars generally need one after 01.

Mine passed with the aftermarket manifold last year but it was heatwrapped so the MOT Tester probably just gave me the benefit of the doubt or didn't care or my car was 01 so didn't need one...

eddys_homeuk

Nickyyy said:
You've a few options

the OEM manifold comes in 2 pieces, the top 4-2 section and the bottom 2-1 section, you can get an aftermarket 4-2 section and keep your cat

Otherway is you can just get a full aftermarket manifold (I happen to have an excellent condition one for sale ;) ) which won't have a cat - depending on the age of your car it might not need a cat as cars generally need one after 01.

Mine passed with the aftermarket manifold last year but it was heatwrapped so the MOT Tester probably just gave me the benefit of the doubt or didn't care or my car was 01 so didn't need one...
Thanks for quick reply

There is a chance that the garage I use for MOT would pass it anyway if I fitted new manifold because I know them really well. But they haven't had my teg in yet as I've only had it a few months.

So if I get a 4-2-1, will that meet up with the end of the Fujitsubo without problems? And what manifold you selling and most importantly, how much?!

Cheers again

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
yeah it will meet up with the fujitsubo!

Selling a Tegiwa manifold, looking 300 plus postage, was on the car a year and was heat wrapped throughout its time on my car.

eddys_homeuk

If I had 300 floating about at moment then I'd have it. But considering the way my cat is looking at moment, I may have to come up with the money for it!

How come you taken it off yours anyway?

eddys_homeuk

Ah right. Shame mate.

I've just come up with another question...if I go with decat option, what happens to secondary O2 sensor that's in the OEM cat? Won't it throw up and error code if I disconnect it?

eddys_homeuk

Ah right. Get you now! Thanks for all the quick replies mate. It's appreciated. Need to go away and think about what to do now! Because new manifold is definitely the way I want to go.

eddys_homeuk

If I manage to come up with the funds and you've still got it mate, you'll be the first person I contact!!

Seeing as you seem to know your stuff, here's a question I've wanted answering since having the teg. Should I have a k-pro and a remap? Especially if I get manifold? I also got the Fujitsubo exhaust and gruppe m intake. I can't really seem to get my head around the kpro and k100 malarky!

tico_87

Advanced Member
Matt Edwards said:
If I manage to come up with the funds and you've still got it mate, you'll be the first person I contact!!

Seeing as you seem to know your stuff, here's a question I've wanted answering since having the teg. Should I have a k-pro and a remap? Especially if I get manifold? I also got the Fujitsubo exhaust and gruppe m intake. I can't really seem to get my head around the kpro and k100 malarky!
To release the ponies then yes you'd be better of getting k100/kpro. Running a decat, exhaust system and intake without mapping you wont be getting the most out of the engine.

eddys_homeuk

Apart from Spoon, is there anyone else who makes just the 2-1 section so I could just replace that bit? Only reason I say "other than spoon" is because for the price of just their 2-1, I may as well get a Tegiwa 4-2-1.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Could always look at just getting a second hand CAT, installing that, and saving for a different header when money becomes less of an issue maybe? Could do the whole hog then (K100 etc.) when money is right.

I'm sure I've seen a second-hand OEM for around £70 ?

eddys_homeuk

Yeh I saw someone on here selling OEM manifold and downpipe for 75 quid, but it's sold now. So still searching!