OEM Discs with EBC yellow stuff pads? Advice

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Hey I've recently bought a DC5 and it needs new discs and pads all round; I've used EBC yellow stuff pads with Mtec dimpled and grooved discs on my Civic 1.8 vti in the past... The stopping power was exceptional but the discs couldn't cope with the pad, I warped the front discs in a matter of months.

Short of spending roughly £500 on some Dixcell discs or something similar is there anything anyone has used which is slightly cheaper? Or are the OEM discs on the DC5 capable of dealing with the EBC yellow stuff pad?

I'd be greatful of any advice anyone could offer me

Cheers

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Most people on here use the Ferrodo DS2500 with OEM discs with no warping as far as i know.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Most people on here use the Ferrodo DS2500 with OEM discs with no warping as far as i know.
Thats the setup i was recommended by tdi north, for a mild setup it works wonders on track. People who ride in my car comment on how good the brakes are.

I had yellow stuff pads that i thought were good, until my new setup

Btw im running oem rear discs and pads they are more than adequate

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
If that's the case run EBC turbo discs on the the front.

As they are made by the same company they should work well together.

I've used EBC discs in the past and they have lasted for 2 years of hard abuse, not only that I've just recently bought some for the DC5 for £100 xthumbup

...bargareeno!

Gareth88

Advanced Member
If that's the case run EBC turbo discs on the the front.

As they are made by the same company they should work well together.

I've used EBC discs in the past and they have lasted for 2 years of hard abuse, not only that I've just recently bought some for the DC5 for £100 xthumbup

...bargareeno!
Hey Cheers for the advice, I already have the pads just need the discs, where did you get the EBC turbo discs from? I've had a look for these on several sites and can only find them with fitment for the DC2?

Thanks again

dc5ian

Advanced Member
i wouldnt bother with the ebc yellow stuff. sell them on, get some oem discs ,Ferrodo DS2500 pads, braided hoses and decent brake fluid. if you are not doing any track days then these set up is pretty good.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
i wouldnt bother with the ebc yellow stuff. sell them on, get some oem discs ,Ferrodo DS2500 pads, braided hoses and decent brake fluid. if you are not doing any track days then these set up is pretty good.
It also works well on track

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
I ran EBC Yellows with OEM discs no bother. Did on my EK9 to and tracked that fairly hard and regular. I run EBC Blues atm get a lot more noise from them when called (sound warped) but they arnt lol
I ran DS2500s to but wasnt impressed for the extra cash, so went back to EBC as i get discount on them and didn't see where the extra money was going on the DS2500. Probably a slightly better pedal feel and thats it.
Tracked my DC5 fine at Cadwell and Croft with EBC Yellows and OEM discs to, be rocking the blues in october though.

tysonzane

OEM discs are the way to go.

Dont run drilled, slotted or other pancy pants discs - you're wasting time and money.

If you do want to spend money on rotors and are cracking and warping rotors regularly (which i'll be very suprised at with Brembo blanks as they're amazing on all applications!). Then you're best option is to look at a '2 piece' top hat rotor setup - again with no drills or slots.

This is from someone who has done a bit of racing and rallying and tried many different rotor brands in the search to deal with the problem of regular cracked rotors. The best rotors? OEM Honda and Brembo blanks.

cosmic_chi

Have run EBC Yellowstuff on OEM disc's and will be going back to the EBC's after the DS2500 wear out. EBC were better on and off track for me

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Cheers for all the advice guys... I endded up sticking with the yellow stuff pads and ordering some Dixcel SD discs; 4 weeks later they are here! =D Ill hopefully have them fitted over the weekend =]

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Keep us posted as I'm in the same situation on the track and now in the market for some improvements in that area.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
All fitted and I know Im probably biased in opinion as Iv spent the extra to get the Dixcel discs but Im amazed at the difference in performance; Seems almost like slight pressure on the pedal stops the car amazingly quick... push it hard and you almost get thrown forward. Id do it again =]

Bonito

Advanced Member
I have a box of 3G discs and EBC yellow stuff pads to go on next so I'll let people know what that setup is like. Have to finish murdering my OEM's with the Endless pads 1st. :D