OEM Exhaust/Catalyst Nut/Bolt Question

Filkmeister

Had a bit of a search and couldn't trace answer - please feel free to point in right direction though.

Question concerns the three "nuts" on the 2-1 Cat pipe that the B pipe bolts up to. I am looking at how on earth you would remove if you had to. On mine they are so corroded that I can barely tell if they are bolts at all!!! So are the nuts screwed onto captive studs fitted in the 2-1 or are they a separate nut and bolt?

I guess you wouldn't want to grind them off if they are studs?

Any confirmation appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Liam

Advanced Member
You'll need to cut the nuts off - fairly common problem for them to be rusted solid.

Once the exhaust is apart, I guess you'd need to heat and hammer the studs out the CAT. Then you could either replace with new studs from Honda or use bolts instead.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
has anyone got the part number for these?

also while im at it, what other parts / part numbers would need to be changed to do a complete refresh of the exhaust system bolts and gaskets?

2 spring bolts for back box
3 studs mentioned above
b pipe to cat gasket
b pipe to back box gasket?

cheers

donzooo

Advanced Member
Think you can get most of those things from Tegiwa.

Ideally take it to a decent garage and they will do it for you...

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
has anyone got the part number for these?

also while im at it, what other parts / part numbers would need to be changed to do a complete refresh of the exhaust system bolts and gaskets?

2 spring bolts for back box
3 studs mentioned above
b pipe to cat gasket
b pipe to back box gasket?

cheers
They are all in my thread. I will try and find them.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
i will be getting the garage to do the fitting,

just need to get the parts first,

will await gok's reply :)

donzooo

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
much cheaper than ordering from tegiwa, just put the product numbers in on linds honda parts!

couple things though mate, what is the crush washer used for and where does it go exactly?

also did you not change the triangular gasket that sits between the b pipe and cat?

cheers
The crush washer is the original gasket that goes in place between the cat and the b-pipe. They did not use a 3 bolt flat gasket originally.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Donald_TSC said:
The crush washer is the original gasket that goes in place between the cat and the b-pipe. They did not use a 3 bolt flat gasket originally.
cheers donald,

so are you saying that this will suffice instead of the flat gasket? or would i be better off getting the flat gasket if i can? assuming they are the same as the ep3?

also, any vids of your new exahust fitted to your car yet :D

samhalsey

fitted an oem system back on mine yesterday, cleaned up the nuts a bit and just undone them, they looked 10x worse than they actually were.

donzooo

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
cheers donald,

so are you saying that this will suffice instead of the flat gasket? or would i be better off getting the flat gasket if i can? assuming they are the same as the ep3?

also, any vids of your new exahust fitted to your car yet :D
Should do yeah, just be careful fitting it. Personally I just go with a 3 bolt gasket for ease of fitting, however you sometimes have to elongate the holes slightly but this is easy done.

I will get vids on a nice day, it sounds great though :)

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hmm id rather get the flat gasket then!

Anyone got the part number for the flat gasket?

And I'm looking forward to seeing the vids

Filkmeister

I've now had a close look at the nuts and the studs on mine after a quick dusting with a wire brush, They are corroded beyond recognition and I could only see cutting a realistic option to release the B-pipe. I doubt a bolt extractor would get any purchase - with the size of the tunnel and the positioning it looks like it would be a pig of a job too.

It is coming up on mine sometime soon as there is corrosion on t'other end of the B-pipe flange despite the pipe/flange at the Catalyst end looking in good shape which is frustrating. It is just the fastening nuts that look shot.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
I split the nuts off mine, ground the bolts off and drilled them. New stainless bolts greased up, no problem at all now. My toda mani also had no studs, just bolts holes. Result!!

Filkmeister

Thanks for info, really useful to know.

One question springs to mind: did you grind them off in situ on the car, or had you removed the pipework and then worked with it on the bench?

Thanks in advance.

Filkmeister

Does anyone know off-hand whether or not the fasteners holding the Catalyst to the B-pipe are captive studs or simply three off nuts and bolts?

Anyone looked at one closely or removed the OEM Catalyst DIY and knows? your experiences and advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.